Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a man arrive here from Indianapolis to pick up some printers he bought from me.

He said he just punched in our address, his GPS brought him right to our door. I've never had, or used one. I assumed they had to have your destination coordinates entered to bring you to the right spot. Now, you just need the address?

This sounds like a good investment at this time. For a fella new to these, who can give me some experienced advice for an affordable brand and model?

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Well, this is going to be as good as a tire or oil thread.

I have 3 Garmins of different flavors. All have slightly different programming features....likes/dislikes.

Everyone of them will let you insert a street address/state/city and lead you to where you need to be.

Each one of them will have different peculiarities as to how they get you to where you want to go. Different programming ideas on how to decide to get there.

And, it makes a difference if you select Shortest route or Quickest Route. Guarantee, that over time, if you use Shortest route, you will get a lot of viewing of places you have never seen before :D

I also have a Magellan, it works too, but I don't like the GUI interface on that one. I gave it away.

My favorite of the bunch is an older Garmin 2730 with a ton of features that probably don't get used very much.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Garmin, definitely! Support is great. There are many models from which to choose with different features including weatherproof models. That's what I have and I love it. Otherwise, get you a fully equipped 1800...Honda usesGarmin GPS software! Worksgreat!

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin 2610, I purchased it refurbished for $189.00. It's not the newest technology but it works great and it's waterproof. I really like having the ability to create the routes on my PC and upload them to the GPS. It also works well for sharing routes with others.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Your right in that this question is as much about personal preferences as it is about actual equipment.

I have a Garmin 2720 because that was what was available at the time I bought mine. For me it had to have the following attributes....

Waterproof (read motorcycle ready),

Sound able to be connected into the Aux input of the intercom system so you can hear it while riding. Makes it nice so you can listen to the instructions instead of taking your eyes off the road to make sure your are still on your route.

Ability to transfer routes to it from a PC, and tracks can be transferred back to the PC. This way you can plan out your entire route on the PC in advance. Then when you are finished you can transfer your actual route back to the PC so you can see where you actually rode. Also makes it nice if you want to show someone how you got there.

A screen that shows your current speed, average speed, distance travelled, distance still remaining on your route. The Current speed is especially nice since it is much more accurate than the GW speedometer.

Make sure you get a RAM quick disconnect mount so you can take it off easy when you stop for the night or so you can put it in your trunk while eating etc.

There are a lot more motorcycle ready units out now than when I bought mine. Many of them are much cheaper and are much faster at recalculating your route when you wander off...

I've even seen some guys using non waterproof units and just covering them with a zip lock baggie but I would rather spend the money for a waterproof unit.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Garmin 2720 with a sunvisor, love it. Used a Ram handle bar mount and also got the wiring kit. It is powered by the bike and the audio plays in my headset. I can pop it off the mount and put it in the trunk for safe keeping if need be.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Look to the left...........made for motorcycles.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I've got 5 Garmins & have used them all on the bike, Ram has a waterproof case for protection for the ones not designed for the elements. :waving:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and love it. It is not water resistant, but that is solved with a plastic baggie if the weather starts going sour. The cost is very reasonable. I did not bother with any special mounts, but rather put the little disk on the console below the key and emblem and suction cupped it there. Built in MP3 player too, though I found I don't use that feature. I've seen em as low as $125 (refurbished) but not much more new and they include maps of North America. One downfall is that you can't put in a bunch of waypoints for multiple stops on a single trip. I think you are limited to one. I solved this by pre-programing my areas I wanted to stop at in my favorites section and then when I reached point A, I would set point B as my next destination and so on.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Garmin nuvi 750 works for me... large 4.3" screen... not totally water proof, but I just put it away if it is raining hard enough to getthat wet...pretty much full featured except bluetooth... about 1/3 the price of the waterproof Garmin Zumo 550 (that is smaller and harder to see)..

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I'll put my vote in for the Garmin. I've had my refurb'd 2610 (roughly 160 bucks) for almost two years now. No issues and I like the programmable routes via the mapsource program. And the Ram-Mounts make for a stable holder.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

I have the Zumo 550, for me I like to be able to listen to MP3's while riding. Also I like the bluetooth, so I can answer my cell phone. Stopping, taking my helmet off to listen to the message, then returning the call was too much effort. Sharing routes is also nice.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Garmin nuvi 750 works for me... large 4.3" screen... not totally water proof, but I just put it away if it is raining hard enough to getthat wet...pretty much full featured except bluetooth... about 1/3 the price of the waterproof Garmin Zumo 550 (that is smaller and harder to see)..
I'm now using a garmin 2610 and it has done a great job. however I'm been thinking of getting the nuvi 750, one question though. I think this one runs on internal batteries, does it also have the option to run off 12 V off the bike battery?

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Yes, the 750 & 250 will both run off a 12V cig plug. These are the units I got the Aqua Box for.:waving:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

:shock: Good grief! THAT solved my problem, huh? LOL :stumped:

Looks like AZgl1500 hit it on the head, everyone has different needs and appreciates various features. I'm kinda reading in that the Garmin 550 is most popular....ebay has new ones around $600.

Thanks guys, I'll be watching for a good deal. If I'm gonna invest in one, I'd like to have the best I can find at a good price.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

-- cheap

-- portable

-- no electric drain

-- can be taken in tent at night

-- if stolen, pick up another atany local supermarket

-- sometimes requires a supplemental light at night

-- can swap mosquitoes with it

-- can be pressed into service as toilet tissue in an emergency

Attachments

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

sonat wrote:
sandiegobrass wrote:
I'm now using a garmin 2610 and it has done a great job. however I'm been thinking of getting the nuvi 750, one question though. I think this one runs on internal batteries, does it also have the option to run off 12 V off the bike battery?
Yes.. it has an internal battery.. and comes with a12v cord... Battery is also important to me so I can do the programming in the house wihtout plugging it in..

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
-- cheap

-- portable

-- no electric drain

-- can be taken in tent at night

-- if stolen, pick up another atany local supermarket

-- sometimes requires a supplemental light at night

-- can swap mosquitoes with it

-- can be pressed into service as toilet tissue in an emergency
OHHH! I can't STOP .... :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.