Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking for some feed back from any members who have fitted GPS to their:15red:.

I have been looking at the Street Pilot 111, product code SP3PKGL15 priced at £519.

complete with mounting bracket for the 1500.

Look forward to receiving your help.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've had good luck with my cheapo lashup. I have a Dell Axim 5 PDA with a CF card GPS receiver plugged into the top slot running Routis software. A power cord with a cigarette lighter plug completes the system. It's mounted on the right glove box cover. I haven't wired in the audio to the bike's system, but it would be easy to do to get voice directions from the PDA. The screen does washout in sunlight, I've considered making a small sunshield for it but it's still useable as is. With a 128Mb SD card plugged in the side slot of the PDA I can load a map containing thestates, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, and the Canadian province British Columbia. The softwareworks surprisingly well.

I don't have a lot in it, The PDA was a refurbished unit from eBay, got the GPS card with the Routis software for around $100. All told had less than $400 for a nav system with color screen, voice prompting, automatic rerouting, etc. Been using it for over a year now in my car, truck and on the bike. If you don't load a bunch of games, ephemeris and other stuff like I do, you probably can get by without the SD memory card. My large map slows recalculating routes a bit, it takes fifteen seconds or more. Same thing for inputting a destination, it takes 20-30 seconds. With smaller maps it is much faster. When I bought my bike, I had the seller's address in Oregon (about 200 miles away) and the unit steered me right to his door.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

The Garmin 2610 is great for the goldwing. Adventure Motorcycles sell a bracket as well.

Let me know if you need their website.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

jukeboxjury123 wrote:
The Garmin 2610 is great for the goldwing. Adventure Motorcycles sell a bracket as well.

Let me know if you need their website.

That would be great, if you could supply their web site, all help and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Exavid for your reply, as I am not technically minded and not clued up with GPS, I would be looking for a package, but would be willing to learn if some one local would be willing to spare some time to educate me, (in simple terms)

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Photo of the Street Pilot III mounted on my 1800. Works fine with no problems so far.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I've gota similarsetupto Littlejohn;

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=left]Mine doesn't have the lock. I've been told by an SPIII owner who now owns the 2610 that the same bracket as minefits both models, but I can't confirm this personally so don't ask me. Someone else might be able to shed more light on it.[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for all your input, Ive ordered the Street Pilot 111 with my xmas money.:dude:

Hope its easy to wire up, if not I'll be after more advice.:waving::waving:.

One less rider getting lost:whip::15red::15red::15red::15red:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi wingnut, My Street pilot 111 is due for delivery on Friday, is the unit hard wired into the system or the cigarete lighter.

If hard wired can a novice like my self under take such a task?

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Hi wingnut, My Street pilot 111 is due for delivery on Friday, is the unit hard wired into the system or the cigarete lighter.
Hey manxblackcat, :cheeky1:You are not allowed to ask questions directly to the wingnut. :whip: All questions must be directed to the ordinary "Guru" first, :grinner:and if they are unable to answer it, :baffled:then the wingnut steps in.:jumper: Dont be trying to get pally with the wingnut, :walker:because that wont get you promoted to "Guru":stumped:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
manxblackcat wrote:
Hey manxblackcat, :cheeky1:You are not allowed to ask questions directly to the wingnut. :whip: All questions must be directed to the ordinary "Guru" first, :grinner:and if they are unable to answer it, :baffled:then the wingnut steps in.:jumper: Dont be trying to get pally with the wingnut, :walker:because that wont get you promoted to "Guru":stumped:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:
Sorry Redwing, could you ask Wingnut:whip: the question when you send you next cheque:waving::waving::waving:, or do you have the answer?:weightlifter::weightlifter:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote: Sorry Redwing, could you ask Wingnut:whip: the question.
Hey manxblackcat, :waving:Sorry for not replying sooner, :crying:but I was otherwise engaged untill now. :( To answer your query as regards me asking the wingnut, :baffled:that wouldalso beimpossible, im not allowed to approach him directly either. :stumped: If you asked one of the "Gurus" they could approach him with your problem if they cannot give you an answer themselves. :pumpkin:I dont want wexman on my back for incorrect procedures on the forum. :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ive asked Guru's before but they reply useing long complicated words, to prove their parents money wasn't wasted on public education. I need replies in two syllable words, as my school was approved, and I need gps to get me home.:skipping::skipping::skipping:

O I just forgot my Street Pilot 111 arrived today, at least I know it works it found my home. Don't know how to fit it on the bike, the instruction don't have many pictures, how do I mount it on the dash?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

as i am not a guru dont know if i am allowed to answer this one LOL - you have to get a a lead that connects the gps into the bikes audio system. Couple of places - I got mine from Cellset in the US (have a spare second hand one i m trying to get ride off :cool: ). At the other end of the aduio and power connections is a inline fuse and earth wire which are connected to the accessories terminals on the fuse box. there is also a plug which fits inbetween the 5 pin headset plug and the audio loom on the bike. It is easy enough to do and didnt take more than a couple of hours from start to finish - have you ordered the mounting bracket as well - i got mine from toura-tech and you will also need a riser block for the top of the clutch cylinder resivour. Hope thats some help to you

rgds

Phil

ps dont know if i am allowed to post links to othe Wing sites but have a look at www.elite-wings.co.uk and they have some good info there - nice bunch of people and a good laugh as well

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Phil

You are a breath of fresh air,I could understand your message, The Gps arrived today.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Don't Know what connections come with this kit yet, but the kit has bracket for 1500 :15red:together with a helmet kit. I will probably require the connection you

mention, and HELP.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

manxman - if you look at the picture in wingnuts posts the bottom one - you will see two wires that plug in to the back of the unit - these join up into the one lead - i can email you a photo of the lead probably tomorrow night now - i have escaped from renovating me bathroom and shouldnt be surfing tonight but i have had enough this week - if it would be of any use at least you can what fittings etc are there

rgds

Phil

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
as i am not a guru dont know if i am allowed to answer this one.

dont know if i am allowed to post links to othe Wing sites.
Hey Phil, :waving:Answer all questions if possible, :bat: thats how you get this bloody promotion to "Guru" :clapper: Posting links to other sites, now thats another ball game :crying: if your not sure, :baffled: its just a matter of sending a PM to the wingnut who is the sponsor and paymaster of this great forum/site :clapper:eek:r to wexman who carries a hatchet to chop-up all the bold boys when they misbehave. :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

thanks that m8 - will ask about the link to elite wings

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Links are fine, that's how we learn about these things. There are tons of posts herewith links to other sites. Have a read through the forum FAQs if you are unsure about what's allowed on the forum, the answers are there. :)

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Found the info in the FAQ;

"Spam andrepeated flagrant advertising of your own companies products are a no-no. It's okay to post a messagegiving us a heads-upabout yournew products, so long as you don't post loads of messages about the same thing. Posting your experience about products or items you findis great, we all like to hear about these things and share the information. But repeated spamming or plugging your products is out. If you want me to post a link to your company on my links page, then just let me know and I will oblige. Posting links to other sites with products that you want to let us know aboutis fine. You canhave a link to your web site in your signature as well, but no images in the signature please."

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.