Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know the topic of the GPS has been discussed in some detail before, but Ive searched through the previous correspondence and can not find the answer to this question.

I would like the voice prompt from my Street Pilot 111 to mute my audio system and give me instructionthrough the speakers. Is there such a kit?

I have a wiring kit, now fitted which mutes the head sets but not the main speakers, as i don't have head sets the system is not much good to me at the moment.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Go to http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/,and send JON an email ,tell him exactly what you want and that I sent you and he will organise it for you ,,He is a dealer for Kennedy products ,,I could send you directly to Kennedy ,but they dont export to individual outside of the states ,,cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

The Kennedy Cellset is what you need for this. You can adjust the voice prompt volume seperately from the SPIII as it can get a bit annoying after a while.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Wire its audio output into any microphone wire through a divider made of 2, 100,000 ohm resistors, or one 100K and a 100K potentiometer to make it adjustable. $5 US in parts.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Wire its audio output into any microphone wire through a divider made of 2, 100,000 ohm resistors, or one 100K and a 100K potentiometer to make it adjustable. $5 US in parts.

Hi Dave

I will speak to my auto electrician with your suggestion, unfortunately it is Double Dutch to me, but thats why I'm asking for you assistance. It sounds like a an inexpensive solution to my problem

Thank you taking time out to reply.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Well Dave, thats what I call a simple answer to a simple question ,:):),,,,,We are mere mortals and dont really understand ohms /potentiometers,:baffled:,Perhaps REDWING could come on and translate that for us and prove that he is guru material after all :grinner:...cheers Ciaran

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Ive done this to patch radar detector audio into the intercom. Diagram is attached.

Bottom drawing is different as the bottom resistor is replaced with a potentiometer (adjustable resistor) so the volume level can be altered. If the GPS uses electrical system in the cycle, the wire with large X is not needed.

If the system doesnt like the grounds connected together, connect themthrough a 0.1 microfarad capacitor.

GPS should have (?) a volume control by which the volume level into the intercom can be varied. If so, start with the volume set to minimum and test it.

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Dave Campbell, :waving:Thats seems an easy enough problem to sort out :clapper: and very simple to follow. :stumped: The onlypiece of advice i would give you is, try andkeep your language and technical information as simple as possible, :jumper: because the mere mortals on this forum who have to try and digest it :weightlifter: sometimes find it extremely difficult to comprehend. :whip:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dave, just wondering if the output of the

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
. :stumped: The onlypiece of advice i would give you is, try andkeep your language and technical information as simple as possible, :jumper: because the mere mortals on this forum who have to try and digest it :weightlifter: sometimes find it extremely difficult to comprehend. :whip:
Aye, ill keep that in mind - but recall, youve passed "mere mortal" status and approached demi-god status. Anyone that can get 1000 views on a post deserves that!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

A little tip for those of us using GPS systems on our bikes. I haven't really looked at mine since last September and have been using it in the car. I put it on the bike yesterday as I have done many times before but I couldn't get any voice prompts over my helmet intercom. It was working fine in the car I thought so it must be the 'Kennedy Technology' interface that is defective. I then set about striping down the necessary bits and checked all the wiring connections. Everything was fine, so now what? as it still wasn't working. I became exasperated by the problem and took a rest to think what I was doing wrong. After quite a bit of work I put it all back together again and considered it knackered, so I went for a run to settle my head. On went the music during my ride and at one point I thought I would switch on the intercom to check it was ok and low and behold the GPS worked fine pumping out directions at me. It then began to dawn on me that it had been a long winter away from the bike and you have to have the intercom switched on to hear the voice prompts. Did I feel a prat or what?? Nothing wrong with the bike or the system it was just a case of the owner having a tired brain which failed to engage properly. :gunhead:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
Nothing wrong with the bike or the system it was just a case of the owner having a tired brain which failed to engage properly. :gunhead:
Oh Littlejohn, :waving:thats a very serious offence. :whip: Im far from being a "Guru" but i would know that the intercom has to be switched on. :stumped:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

It's just the :18magenta:bike Redwing has trouble with.:action::action::action::action::cheeky1::cheeky1::waving::waving::clapper::clapper::skipping::skipping::goofygrin::goofygrin::whip::whip:.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey manxblackcat, :waving:I dont have any trouble with my neighbours :18red: :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Hi

what is the sound qulaity like using this simple mod? Also can it be used with the old mobile phone (adding a mic in put to phone of course), and has any one tried. I was thinking along the lines of a blue tooth unit permanantly mounted on bike plugged into the intercomm system.

Phil

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
imported post

Dave- I used your diagram to wire in my gps and it worked great!... until I turned on the engine! Then all I got was engine whine thru the headset. What can I do to filter out the noise?

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Randy Peterson wrote:
Dave- I used your diagram to wire in my gps and it worked great!... until I turned on the engine! Then all I got was engine whine thru the headset. What can I do to filter out the noise?

Thanks for your help
Hey Randy, Dave Campbell had been banned from the site. Not too sure that he visits here any more.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Hi

It sounds like you have routed the wires close to the coils. Sheilded cable should sort that out- earth at one end only, or to same earth (ie frame) at both ends (dont use frame / batteryu etc as an earth loop could be formed.

If you still have noise then you will need an rf filter.

I am also curious- what gets someone banned?

Phil

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

phils wrote:
I am also curious- what gets someone banned?
Here is a quote from the Forum Guidelines:

"People who abuse the friendly andgood natured style of this forum run the risk of being banned from posting messages here in the future. They may get aPrivate Message (PM) warning them about any objectionable posts,any further abuse of theMessage Board will see their membership revoked without further warning or notice."

If you get out of line, the wingnut or axe...oops, sorry, wexman will give you a PM an ask you to tone it down.

Ignoring their requests may bringmore stern warnings :cussing:and perhaps a few lashings :whip:form the enforcer, Redwing.

I believe that DC was the first to get banned from this great site since it's creation almost 2 years ago.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.