Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ok, so I'm going to be going on a little bit of a road trip in about a month. Currently my only GPS system isa laptop with external antenna, running microsoft's Streets and Trips. While I like it for use in my car, it's not all thatpractical on a bike.

What I'm looking for is alow-end GPS unit that will offer street-level maps. I don't need voice prompts, or color, or anything like that. I'm also looking to keep the price under $150 if possible. If anyone has a suggestion on a unit to look into, or you have yester-year's model sitting in a box gathering dust, let me know.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

Never mind. I just found one.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Well done. I have an old GPS5 (black and white) that I no longer use. You could have had it for about $125 (I think they are still available now for around $325), complete with all the packaging etc. I'd forgotten all about it until I read your post. If anyone else wants it just end me a PM.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Ok, so I'm going to be going on a little bit of a road trip in about a month. Currently my only GPS system isa laptop with external antenna, running microsoft's Streets and Trips. While I like it for use in my car, it's not all thatpractical on a bike.

What I'm looking for is alow-end GPS unit that will offer street-level maps. I don't need voice prompts, or color, or anything like that. I'm also looking to keep the price under $150 if possible. If anyone has a suggestion on a unit to look into, or you have yester-year's model sitting in a box gathering dust, let me know.
I know you found one, but if anyone else is looking, try ebay. I found a base model eTrex, that came with a handlebar mount, a bodyglove case, a patch cord, and the software to preplan routes and download them to the unit. I paid only $100 for it. So far I am pretty happy with it.

It doesnt do the maps and such, but the price was right.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I picked up an etrex Legend for $120 at officemax.com

They are clearencing them out. The legend has a base-map of the americanhighway system, and 8 megs of storage for street level maps.

That GPS V (5) looks pretty neat-o.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Hi Philcsand,

Does your eTrex Legend have the Canadian maps? Would like to get one for the up-coming Leamington to Tobomory ride. The specs on it say North, South and Central America but wasn't sure if that was the hiway and road maps. I don't want to have to buy some expensive software if I don't have to.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

well, I JUST got it about 2 hours ago...

It shows the canadian highway system, but for street-level detail, you'll need to get the CD.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Is that just the major roads or does it include the back roads also?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

For the backroads, you'll need the CD.

In the states, it handles Freeways, state routes, and highways. Assume that comparable-sized roads will be available in the Canadian base-map.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

Thanks. I'm going to go ahead and get one off of ebay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.