Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 08, has motherhonda come up with a way to update the GPS on the 1800 yet

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
I would be careful about taking advice about a GPS from Kit! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
This is true, even with the updates I can still go the wrongway. :action::action::DKit

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
D-Rod wrote:
I would be careful about taking advice about a GPS from Kit! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
This is true, even with the updates I can still go the wrongway. :action::action::DKit
As he says in a "gravelly" voice! :D

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I hear a lot about the stock GPS in the Honda machine. I suppose most do not like it.
I however do like the Honda GPS and have to chalk some of the discontent with it up to the simple fact most of us do not know how to use the thing. This is all new to me, and I am no electronics or computer type person, it takes me time to learn about these things.

It is aggravating to have to spend two hundred dollars for an updated computer chip to have the latest roads and so on, but I do not feel it is a necessity to have this every two years. Some roads do change, just dissapear, and interstate ramps and so on are changed, but overall in ten years time, not a whole lot changes. Once you get used to the Honda GPS you learn to work it with a relaxed attitude and just go with what it does and trust it as it will eventually always get you there.

Sometimes the stupid thing will default to non-highway mode, so you have to check that often, I do not know why it does this, but it will at times default to that, and put you on backroads, I have had that happen several times, but even then it will eventually get you there. (all GPS systems have this fault even my Zumo)

You can even actually program a route with the Honda GPS, no you cannot sit and do it in your compurter and hook it up and program it, but you can just put way points and stops into a route on the bike, and program it in and go with that.

Over all I do like the GPS. On a long run such as the one we will go on this fall to Montrose, I do not have any set plan or adjenda anyway, I will just go till I get tired and then pull in to the closest motel, I have no desire to complicate my life with having to be somewhere at a set time, so just as a map, a guide the GPS suits me just fine.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Kit, that is pretty much how I use any GPS anyway.

Last August when I went up to Fort Wayne, IN to get my wife and her dad, I drove my 1 ton dually because I had to tow her car back home.

That dually gets thirsty at speeds above 60 mph, so that makes a 1400 mile trip quite long. I set the gps up to avoid toll roads and interstates and shortest distance. when I got tired, I had it give me a list of hotels close by.

Awesome device.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

aquafire wrote:
http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=171213

Read the above ref: thread and follow the instructions. It works very well and is a lot cheaper than buying a new card from Mother.
Question about that .......question from a dummie. I have the city navigator that came with my Zumo, I can just go to their website and update that at any time , that I understand. But it is called City navigator......and does update the major towns....how about the in between roads......the main distances traveled between city and towns ?

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

The distances will be taken care of by the software Kit. I've never had a problem with mileage computations.

However, different software maps seem to come up with different total distances sometimes. But the only one or two times I tried to see what it was, it seemed to just be a slightly different routing..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.