Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just want to know what gps you have and how you like it . I am needing to get one I miss to many turns, can not remember what I looked at on the map

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got a Magellan 2200T and have been very happy with it for almost two years now. I use it a lot on my bike, car and truck. It served well on the 5500 mile trip from Oregon to Georgia last fall too. They aren't the latest and greatest but for the money they are hard to beat. The unit comes with the US including Alaska and also Canada preloaded. It has text to speech so it announces upcoming turns by street or highway name too. I mounted mine on a home made aluminum bracket on the bridge of my 1500 just behind the ignition key. I prefer having it on the center line compared to a RAM mount on the handlebar because looking at it centrally mounted doesn't cause you to wander off to the side as can happen with a handlebar mounted unit. The onboard battery will last eight hours. The unit came with both AC and 12V chargers. I plug it into the 12V power outlet I installed in the left cubby. One other good thing about the 2200 is that it's rated for IPX4 water resistance. Driving rain doesn't bother it.Newegg has a good deal for a refurbished unit right now.

Newegg Magellan Roadmate 2200T

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

We use the Tomtom 510 and mount it on the dash center and had no problems at all with it. Like exavidsaid off to the side just didn't appeal to me. One thing to remmeber is use the night time screen at night couse that bright light from gps will restrict your view bad.

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't find the glare at night bad, I just turn down the brighness on the GPS and switch it to night display.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I don't find the glare at night bad, I just turn down the brighness on the GPS and switch it to night display.
Me either with night time view on:)

Can't waite til I can get me a 1500 but my 1200 rocks for now:cool:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Hi Paul. I have the same GPS mounted in the same place as yours. I find mine switches to night mode automatically. I'm not sure how it senses the light but I really don't care as long as it works.:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I have been using a Mio Digi-Walker 210SX that I got a couple years ago at a then unheard of price of less than $200. It is a great little GPS that goes into night mode automatically, and I have it wired into my ICS or I can play it thru the FM radio. It was great for the USA but unfortunately, they decided that it was not important enough to upgrade the Canadian map. So you have a pretty good idea if I will be buying another GPS from them.

I rather like that Newegg Magellan price, though.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Quest that I have mounted in the RAM saddle for the Quest (provides power and audio output). I have it on the clutch side and find it difficult to see and drive at the same time.

Anyone know of a mounting system that would put it in the center near the key switch? I think I've seen a mounting bar that goes across the handle bars from Tekexellent or something like that but can't find it again. Probably spelling it wrong. How about velcro? Anybody tried that?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
exavid wrote:
Hi Paul. I have the same GPS mounted in the same place as yours. I find mine switches to night mode automatically. I'm not sure how it senses the light but I really don't care as long as it works.:shock:
Yes they do switch automatically but I keep mine manual because it's decision of when night starts doesn't always agree with mine. They change to night operation based on time, the unit always knows the correct time. I think they also adjust for latitude since that would be a simple data base to look up internally. But they don't adjust for cloudy or darker than normal days which causes them to change too late some times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.