Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking about getting a new GPS, and would like input/opinions before buying. What kind do you have, what do you like and not like about it? I am thinking I want one with a built in rechargeable battery so as not to have to hard wire it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

What I've been using daily is a NUVI 1350 base model.

I like it. It is not waterproof, but I've had freezing rain stick to the face of it a couple of times with no ill effects.

It has been accurate for me. No problems.

I use the USB cable to power it when on the bike via a cigatette lighter adapter.

When I plug it in (I take it in at night now due tobelow freezingtemps) it powers-up in usb mode as if it were ready for data transfer, then realizes that it's plugged into power only and automatically goes into navigate mode pulling a map with my location uponce I move (or when it recalculates).

I've not tried to do anything special with it once I realized it is not bluetooth enabled.

For me, it's basic, it works and it's reliable thus far. The screen size is nice compared to some others.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The 1350 is one I have been considering. Another is the 1450 because of the 5" screen, but I'm wondering if that is too large.
I'm not brand loyal though Garmin is all I've ever had.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

I am using a Zumo 550, have been for years, don't like to ride without it. The battery only last for about 3 - 4 hours, so you'll need to hardwire for the long trips. It will take the rain, snow, and cold, only have to take the battery out once and a while to clean terminals. It comes with a car setup and a M/C set up, but you'll need a kit to fasten it to you handlebars. It's rather pricey, but years of enjoyment. Only bad thing, that I notice, every once and a while it gets lock in a loop and generally freezes, take the battery out, clean, pop back in and go.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I guess it would depend really what you want the GPS to do for you. What features you need or want.

I was given a nice GPS that does what I want it to do and very happy with it. Basically turn it on and plot my course, it tells me when to turn and I can hit another mode for info and see my speed. I like it allot!
I only use the basic stuff, it may have more I don't know?

It does play music, but that's not what I want a GPS for, but I found a couple DOC HOOK songs on there, it sounds good when I played them.

You may want an external power, hard wire or USB or such.
On a long trip my GPS says 160 miles to next turn and I shut it off for about 150 miles to save the battery.
It has a built in battery, good for I think about 4 hours or maybe more.
I rode home from Atlanta GA to Thayer, MO which was 531 mi, 9 hours 4 mins according to google, but more of both the way I rode.
GPS battery power got me home, shutting it off on those LONG areas of the same road for hours.
I did notice as I was getting home volume was not as loud as when I started, battery getting lower so she don't talk as loud I think.

Also, if you have extra features you want to use, you can't have those when it's shut off!

Now that I have a GPS, my first, I like it and been looking at some others sometimes when I see them on sale.

One feature I think I would like if I bought a new GPS is the posted speed limit displayed along with my speed on the main map screen. If there was an alram to turn on/off as wanted for when you are over the posted speed I think I would like that also. Might be handy for rural towns.
I think some GPS units also will show/tell where those hidden speed trap cameras are as you approach them.
That would be nice feature to have, I don't want to get my picture and my tag mailed to me with a bill for $200 fine for 10 over or such.

With "Black Friday" coming up watch for sales.
Newegg.com just sent out a flyer sometime recently I was looking at for computer stuff, they had some GPS units on sale also.
I've dealt with Newegg for years oncomputer stuff, always been a great place to buy stuff, good prices, good sales, fast shipping (sometimes free) and the few times I got a bad part, or one went bad, they take care of it right away.
The mailings from them are good to get if you sign up for them. Lots of savings to be had if it's stuff you need.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have had Garmins in the past, but wanted a TomTom based on several factors that I wanted in a GPS, Lifetime Traffic & map updates was one of those, IQ Routes and Lane assist was important, and of course the ability to download the slingblade voice was just an extra I didn't plan on....MM.. MMmm So I got the XXl550tm, awesome unit for the money.

The only problem I had with it on the bike was it would keep falling out of that round holder they have for it. So I opened the unit up, took the back and drilled a small hole right in the center of the speaker bezel, so I could put a bolt through it and mount a bigger piece of Plexiglas on the back side so it won't fall off. I'll post a pic in a minute.

Heres a couple of pics through a dirty windshield......

I put a piece of 3/16" foam between the Plexiglas and the unit to help water proof it and give it some give it wants to vibrate a little. The holes are so I can still hear the voice.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Get the 1350LM and receive life time map updates. Any Nuvi model with the LM at the end of the model is a life time map option.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Get the 1350LM and receive life time map updates. Any Nuvi model with the LM at the end of the model is a life time map option.
That is a definite! You can buy a new GPS with LM now for less than what it used to cost just to buy the software.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

IPhone, iPad, or iPod with Motion X, last forever, easy to hardwire, driving instructions (and phone calls) through your bluetooth or radio....... Best upgrade I ever did. Being online it also gives you traffic up ahead and suggest different routes, something it does better than any other device I know of.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
jwhitmore44 wrote:
That is a definite! You can buy a new GPS with LM now for less than what it used to cost just to buy the software.
Retrevo.com has the 1350LM every so often for $99.95 (refurbished) with warranty.

I think last week was the last time I saw it.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
This is what I have too. Can't beat it! I would not even consider buying one that does not have the free lifetime map updates!

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
imported post

I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 on mine with lifetime map updates my daughter bought me for Christmas last year... The Nuvi 660 is not waterproof but I put a ziplock baggie over it in the rain... I like it because it has bluetooth and an MP3 player, both of which are integrated into my bike...

I've been looking at the new Zumo 665 with envy... It also has bluetooth, mp3 and XM built in... With XM, you can get XM radar weather which is really cool - real time weather radar is something I've wanted for a while and it's relatively cheap thru XM service - about $17 bucks a month for XM radio and weather...

Les

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
293 Posts
imported post

I've been using Garmin for a long time so I have grown attached to them.

I have been using the 2720 for a couple of years on both the 1500 and 1800. They are waterproof and work very well with lifetime maps but the instrument is no longer available from Garmin. They are a step up from the older 2610 and 2620.

I have a Quest and Quest2 and a couple of the 1490's. The 1490 with a large screen, though not water proof, should work well but I have yet to try them on a motorcycle.

I'll no doubt use the 2720's until they fail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

briese wrote:
I've been using Garmin for a long time so I have grown attached to them.

I have been using the 2720 for a couple of years on both the 1500 and 1800. They are waterproof and work very well with lifetime maps but the instrument is no longer available from Garmin. They are a step up from the older 2610 and 2620.

I have a Quest and Quest2 and a couple of the 1490's. The 1490 with a large screen, though not water proof, should work well but I have yet to try them on a motorcycle.

I'll no doubt use the 2720's until they fail.
I have a 2610, and I like the way you have yours mounted on the 1800. How did you do that?

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
293 Posts
imported post

It was pretty easy really. I wish I could take credit for the design but it was designed by a fellow at Wingman Enterprises in Portland, Oregon, I just copied the idea.

The key surround on the 1800 is removable. Not all the years of the 1800 are the same but I do believe the screws that hold the ignition switch in place are the same.

The mount is of piece of stainless sheet metal that is .047" thick. I initially used a piece of aluminum sheet metal that was .0625 (1/16") because that is what I had on hand but it was too short. The GPS got in the way of the ignition switch. Well, not in the way really but it was difficult to easily insert the key.

The surround will have to be cut horizontally to accommodate the protruding piece of sheet metal. The mount is held firmly in place by the two phillips head screws that secure the ignition switch to the frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
I have a Garmin Nuvi 660 on mine with lifetime map updates my daughter bought me for Christmas last year... The Nuvi 660 is not waterproof but I put a ziplock baggie over it in the rain... I like it because it has bluetooth and an MP3 player, both of which are integrated into my bike...

I've been looking at the new Zumo 665 with envy... It also has bluetooth, mp3 and XM built in... With XM, you can get XM radar weather which is really cool - real time weather radar is something I've wanted for a while and it's relatively cheap thru XM service - about $17 bucks a month for XM radio and weather...

Les
If you have a smart phone NOAA http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ has a nice app for weather radar.

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
If you have a smart phone NOAA http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ has a nice app for weather radar.
I followed ypur link but can't seem to find a mobile app, do you have a more specific url?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.