Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am wondering what type of GPS Units you all are running out there. I have been looking around and the ones for bike specifically are way over my budget. So can some of you chime in and let me know what you are using. I will use my wing during the summer for transportation to and from work but on the weekends I would like to plan trips. I would also just like to head out and just go where I feel like going but having that HOME button would be a nice little feature.
Thanx,Tom

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Vehicle Car Auto part Steering part Steering wheel

Automotive lighting Vehicle Personal luxury car Car Auto part

Vehicle Machine Technology Auto part Robot

Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Engine Car

Electronics Electronic device Technology Gps navigation device Automotive navigation system

Electronics Display device Technology Electronic device Speedometer

Speedometer Auto part Electronics Technology Measuring instrument Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive tire Car I bought a Garmin Nuvi 40 last year to make a work trip to the East Coast (by car) and it did a good job taking me around NJ an NY.

Now I use it on the 'Wing and in the car both...and it does a great job. Personally I'd go with Garmin, but TomTom (my previous GPS) makes good units too. Garmin and TomTom are the industry leaders and I see no reason to buy 2nd or 3rd tier products. The Nuvi 40 isn't weather proof...so IF I were to ever get caught in the rain I'd stow the GPS, but I don't see that as a problem. I'm a fair weather rider.

I've attached some pics of the GPS screens and how it's mounted using all RAM mount hardware and cradle, which is the best available.

BTW: You might want to avoid mounting 12v recepticles in the right pocket like I did. You can't plug anything in without leaving the cover off. Not the best job of planning on my part. But, not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Cockpit Auto part Car Gauge Electronics Tachometer Speedometer Automotive navigation system

I use a Zumo 665 even though the bike has Navi... I like to be able to change things on the fly and you can't do that on the bike Navi while moving...

I also subscribe to XM on my Zumo and have XM Nav Weather as well as Nav Traffic... My MP3's are also loaded on anexternal SD card and my cell phone is integrated thru the Bluetooth on the Zumo... It does everything that I want...;)

Les

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Walmart TomTom...........

Hey, works for me........

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Most corner stores and service stations "Now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one" have GPS's in paper format for under $10.:ROFL:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
A lot of guys are running the Garmin Nuvi's using a ram mount. When it rains they just cover them with a zip lock sandwich bag.

I am partial to the Garmins because of their software. I use a older unit that is waterproof ... a 2720. Its a little slower than the new units and does not have all the "bells and whistles" of the newer units. It won't play MP3's, does not have bluetooth, won't show pictures or play videos.

But what it does is allow me to program my routes on the computer with as many way points as I want and then transfer them to my GPS. I can set up multiple routes and the unit will keep track of where I have been and allow me to transfer those tracks back to the computer.

I bought a "Kennedy" audio unit that allowed me to power the GPS and connect it into the AUX circuit of the bike. I could play my ipod on the AUX and when the GPS needed to talk to me it would mute the ipod and talk. Kennedy is only doing this part time now days.

Here is the first page of his site now days "Cellset.com"
Kennedy Technology Group, Incorporated
4000 W. 6th St. #271
Lawrence, KS 66049

[email protected]
I've "gone Galt" and am doing this part time... My full time obligations don't allow me to return phone calls, but I can respond to your email.

To save time, please include in your email:
1. Make and model of the audio device to be connected
2. Features of the audio device to be employed
3. Make and model convenyance you wish to connect the audio device to.
4. If you already have some Kennedy gear, include any part numbers or invoice numbers you can find
relating to the purchase.

No on-line ordering is available. Please send me an email describing what you want to connect to what kind of conveyance.
Please include specific device and vehicle makes and models in your email.

Everything is made to order and ships from 5 to 10 business days after receipt of payment.

Please select Aviation Products Motorcycle Products

·
Registered
35 Posts
Walmart TomTom............

Hey, works for me........
Me too. I though I was just a tight a55 after seeing some of these immaculate setups. It does suction to my windshield though and got to Dallas and home last weekend...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I rode for several years with my Magellan 2200T which served very well. Now I have both Tom Tom and Garmin GPS on my bike. Also in my pocket when not on the bike. Actually they are stand alone GPS programs in my iPhone4. Both programs work very well and I get mapping updates often at no cost. It makes more sense to me than carrying a discrete GPS when I carry the phone anyway. It it gets rainy I can either stick the phone back in my pocket or put a ziploc freezer bag over it. So far I haven't decided on a permanent mount for it. Right now I just stick it between the ignition lock and the audio control panel with some stick-um stuff I peeled off a lint roller. I use a charge cable that has release buttons on the edges of the charg plug so if the stickp-um stuff be comes un-stuck-um I won't lose the phone. If I should manage to lose the phone I can just re-download those programs from iTunes.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all the replies. I was leaning to the Garmin Nuvi. I have gotten many idea from replies and pics you all posted.
Thanks for the input and posting of pics.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Mea Culpa, I stand corrected, that instrument panel is hard to believe. From the original picture it didn't look attached to the bike but after reading the fellow's posts it's real and attached. Wow! :shock: It would still be overkill in a light airplane.

That brings up the question of when enough is enough. An interesting tour de force of what you can hang on a bike. That guy is better than me for sure, I had to slap my hands away from the trip computer on my SEI to avoid unnecessary distraction from what's happening on the road.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Nuvi 550 if you can find one.Cheap and is a waterproof motorcycle unit.I don't know if they're still available new though.I got mine about a year ago from GPScity.com as an auto/motorcycle package.Came with a car dash mount and a motorcycle Ram Mount.Roughly $260 to my door.I also use it offroad on my atv.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Most corner stores and service stations "Now there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one" have GPS's in paper format for under $10.:ROFL:
Back in the mid '70s when I was a pump jockey, the paper GPS's were free. :raspberry:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
My Garmin Navi 770 has a RGA out jack and has a built in MP3 Player. When Suzi-Q wants to give me some verbal navigation it mutes the music and allows her to tell me what I need to know.

The RGA out jack allows me to use the Axillary port on my factory intercom system.

I bought the 770 on ebay used for $75 and the ram mount holder and its specific power cable for that ram mount for $40. IF I NEED TO COVER IT, I USE A SANDWICH BAG, but in the two years that I have used this, I only covered it once, traveling in town at a slow pace. When raining, most of the time, I just take it off the ram mount and put it in the pictured dash bag and and just listen to her instructions. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Hello, I am wondering what type of GPS Units you all are running out there. I have been looking around and the ones for bike specifically are way over my budget. So can some of you chime in and let me know what you are using. I will use my wing during the summer for transportation to and from work but on the weekends I would like to plan trips. I would also just like to head out and just go where I feel like going but having that HOME button would be a nice little feature.
Thanx,Tom
I use a Garmin 255W I got as a "re-furbished from w/m for about $65.00 a few years ago, along with a ram mount. Works well, easy to see in sun light, and not waterproof, but for $65, doesn't matter. Cheap, no big loss if damaged, and keep it in a saddle bad when not in use or in the rain.
FWIW

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Paper GPS's are solar powered so no batteries to worry about.:readit:
Yep, any amount of light good enough for you to be able to read a book by will charge them up. Only problem is the charge run out as soon as the light goes out.

If not using my Garmin I'll hand my paper one to the automatic direction finder who occupies the back seat for spoken directions. Unfortunately it often get confused...:sadguy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.