Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It never fails when you are out riding on a nice summer day there is always somebody that has to be mowing grass and blowing it right out in the road.

I remember growing up my dad always told me don't blow the grass in the street you could get a ticket..

Isn't it illegal to blow grass clippings into the road?
Littering?
stormwater?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'm not aware of that being illegal but I suppose it depends on where you are. The clippings are rather quickly degradable so probably not much of a storm water/sewer issue.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

The ones to watch out for are the big tractors with bushcutters. I have been hit by rocks when going past them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hear you about grass clippings, just as bad as leaves or anything else that is loose or damp on the road.
I would hate to be leaning into a nice long curve on a dewey morning and clinch my sphincter when I see loose debris on the road!
Bad time to use the front brake, that's for sure...
Years ago (1982) I had just rode a new bike from California to Michigan and stopped by my Uncle's house about 200 miles from home. He wanted to take the bike for a rip up the road... He found some loose gravel on a blacktop road and, well, as Paul Harvey used to say... " Now you know the rest of the story " (or should be able to guess...)
Uncle Gary paid to fix the bike, but NO ONE ever touched one of my bikes again!

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
In NY leaving foreign materials on the roadway is ticketable.

I just wish they would do something about all of the exhaust from the horse and buggy crowd. Hit a pile of that in a corner and you will have no doubt about what sphincter clinching is.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
You can always get stuck behind a rig hauling doubles filled with hay bales. You have it on the road, in the air, in your face.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Grass clippings don't give me much pause, but I live in the country where all of the roads have gravel shoulders. All the best roads with all the best curves are ruined by the cagers who can't keep 4 wheels on the asphalt at all times. There's always gravel in the middle of each and every turn, and sometimes you come into a blind corner and find a whole vehicle taking up half your lane.

You really wind up having to ride with a pretty wide safety margin just to make up for the crappy drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
A good friend of mine, young feller really, rides a crotch rocket and one day it wasn't the clippings that got him, it was the idiot on the riding lawnmower that rode into the road right in front of him. He nearly missed the mower, but did hit it and went down. The clown on the mower got mad at him for hitting his mower, my buddy was going to show him the error of his thinking, but luckily the LEO's showed up and took over.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Two years ago on the first ride after the roads were clear of snow.
In the middle of town I hit a patch of snow on the road.:wtf:
Some clown was taking the pile of snow in the corner of a parking lot and throwing it on the road.:lash:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Grass clippings don't give me much pause, but I live in the country where all of the roads have gravel shoulders. All the best roads with all the best curves are ruined by the cagers who can't keep 4 wheels on the asphalt at all times. There's always gravel in the middle of each and every turn, and sometimes you come into a blind corner and find a whole vehicle taking up half your lane.

You really wind up having to ride with a pretty wide safety margin just to make up for the crappy drivers.
AHH; the country life...
I live in a small town also and all the roads are lined with gravel that the cagers kick uo onto the road. What gives? Is it so hard to keep a buggy between the lines?
Many hazards to watch for out there. Ride safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.