Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've looked in the Honda Owners Workshop Manual and can not find any reference to this...... On the final drive area there is a grease zert. What exactly is this for and if it needs grease what kind and how much? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Don,

This is from the Clymer manual's rebuild section for the final drive " apply approximately 90 grams of molybdenum disulfide grease(NGLI No.2) to the drive shaft joint zerk fitting." Not sure what the hell that is, but it's a start.

Billy

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Hi guys,

On my '83 Gl 1100 there is a grease fitting on top of the drive shaft casing just ahead of the final drive . Thiis keeps the spline lubricated that connects the drive shaft when the rear wheel is installed/ uninstalled. Usually one shot of No. 2 grease will do under normal driving.

Lugnut

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

So, those little nipply things actually have a name? "Zert"? Heh, I like "nipply thing" better. :)

Now another....did you know that the little plastic bits at the end of shoe laces are called aglets?

I have all sorts of information...unfortunately it's all just about as useful as that tidbit. :) :)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

It's "Zerk" not Zert. Is there a Zerk fitting on a 86 1200 u-joint? I have a slight clunk and vibration that I'm almost positive is coming from from the u-joint. Maybe a shot of grease would help it out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

33zip wrote:
It's "Zerk" not Zert. Is there a Zerk fitting on a 86 1200 u-joint? I have a slight clunk and vibration that I'm almost positive is coming from from the u-joint. Maybe a shot of grease would help it out.
U joint is permanently lubed. We both know what that means. If the joint is loose, grease won't help.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

puttitin wrote:
I've looked in the Honda Owners Workshop Manual and can not find any reference to this...... On the final drive area there is a grease zert. What exactly is this for and if it needs grease what kind and how much? Thanks.
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~wingnut/goldwinghistory.htm

From Steve's excellent history of the Goldwing. Look at the paragraphs on the 1976.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

No the 1200 is self lubing, something you will find out if you remove the driveshaft and don't replace the seal when you put it back together. :shock:I used to hit my zerk on the 1100 every rear tire change, which is the same time I replaced final drive oil. Worked for over 200,000 miles no problem.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.