Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a huge assortment of half used lubes. everything from heavy duty bearing grease to WD-40. I recognize that certain applications are best serviced with specific lubes, I can't always remember what I already have, and sometimes I can't determine if what I have is comparable to the lube called for in my then-current project.

I suspect that the "well equipped" among us have a short-list of lubes that will provide for all the necessary lubrication needed on a gold wing. can i get some guidance on the commonly used lubes that I should have on-hand in my gold wing garage ( and where they are commonly used )?

I'd like to exclude from this topic any mention of favorite engine oil or gear oil. :lash:

Thanks!

I'll start.

Moly60 paste. Used on drive splines. ( where else? )

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I pretty much do everything with Moly-60 paste, bearing grease and some silicon grease.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Add to Rudy's short list a good spray lubricant and/or 3-in-1 machine oil, (cables/linkages etc.)some non chlorinated brake cleaner (easier on rubber bits/parts) and some PB Blaster penetrate for those stuck/rusted bits (also works as a degreaser)

The Moly 60 Paste for your drive/driven flanges/drive shaft etc., the wheel bearing grease for any other place that needs greasing (Side/kick stand, reverse linkages on both sides of the engine, rear brake pedal pivot, speedo gear, repacking bearings,etc) and the silicone grease for your brake caliper pins

I forgot to add another important lubricant - some Hypoid 80W gear oil for the final drive and a smidge for the sub-air filter element.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

1+ on Rudy's and Dusty Boots lists. moly 60 is a must. for bearing grease i always liked the wheel bearing grease for boat trailers, water resistant! And I also keep good cable lube on hand as well

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Watch out for that "green" brake parts cleaner. Ruined an otherwise good set of pads. Left a residue that even sanding wouldn't remove, set up a pad chatter under moderate braking.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Electrical Contact cleaner is nice to keep on hand for those dirty switch contacts :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

fordf3truck wrote:
What is a good lube for the speedo cable?
Head to your local bike shop. They should have a couple of cans of spray cable/chain lubes. I use it to lube just about anything on the bike that could use a drop or oil every now and then. Hinges, pivot points, levers just about anything that can get sticky every now and then. I usually pay less then $10 a can ,and it lasts me a couple of years.,,

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Sorry to sound like a broken record but MOLY 60 is the must-have that you won't have until you own a Goldwing.

I ruined a final-drive and flange by not using it on my GL-1200 and that was a $250 lesson (plus lots of time).

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

For the speedo cable, I'll pull the inner cable out of the sheath at least once a year and give it a light coating of wheel bearing grease.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

the concern with spray speedo lube is that it is designed to come out of the can pretty much free flowing, then thicken on contact with air. This way it sprays into the cable sheath, runs the length of the cable, then thickens to prevent flying off the rapidly spinning cable. A good thing for a speedo cable, but being etrememly thick and sticky is not necessarily good for other applications. Tends to collect dirt and grit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.