Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this picture on Facebook, and thought I would post it up here in the off chance some of our members are close enough to look into it.
I have no info other than the picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is my wife, Shari, and I, in St. Libory, Nebraska, Middle of Nowhere, Center of Everywhere! That was the logo on the front of our t-shirts. The back logo was a Gold Wing pulling a conestoga wagon trailer
with a computer falling out the back. This was denoting the Gold WIng family, the camping in our back
yard, and the fact we all met on the internet. At the time, I was a member of GWRRA and we all "met" on the BBS. Someone mentioned that it would be cool to meet and great in person. Since we are in Nebraska, a central location, we decided to try it. I put up a new 42' x 48' machine shed, and it was ready for our Great Plains Rally in August, 2004. Our first year we had 82 people show up. My wife was a little stunned; she had no idea there would be that many!! The next year we had 100, the following year 120! Then it started to dwindle down. Over the years we've had 35 states and 3 Canadian provinces represented.We are still going, but have settled down to a comfortable 30 - 40 people over the weekend.A typical rally starts off with a Thursday evening Liver & Onion feed. That came about because I was bragging up my L&O and they called me on it. I usually cook up 10 pounds of liver, 10 large onions, using 3 pounds of butter and feed 20 people. Even folks who don't normally like L&O like mine!
Friday more people show up, and we mingle around. It's more like a big family picnic. There are some good roads around (Nebraska is NOT all flat like the Interstate!). I cook hamburgers and hot dogs for those who want to eat here. Friday night I usually have a special supper, which can range from a cream can supper to last year's wild game fest: Smoked rabbit, squirrel, and groundhog. I also smoked some roasts for those w
ho did not want to try the game. The game went fast (the ground hog was DELICIOUS!!) and the roast was left over! Saturday we go for a dinner ride, then each make our ways back "home" and have leftovers for supper. For the last several years we went to a Retirement community and gave trike rides for those who wanted. Many of these old folks had their first motorcycle ride with us! We quit that because it was impeding our range for dinner rides, and there were some favorite places we could not go to both.We no longer have a website; it was hacked and did not have much activity anyway. We do have a FB page; to join you MUST fill out the questions.
We don't have a means of registering, but we DO need to know who is coming so we can figure out how much food to get. Registration is $10 per person, and $5 for a camping spot. We also take free-will donations for the food.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome Gary and Shari,

so happy that you have come and filled us in on your event.
If you would like to stay represented here, we can change the title of the thread and add " August 2020 "

that might need to wait until we see how this Covid-19 plays out, it is really playing having havoc with a lot of our lives right now.

a lot of folks don't have a Facebook Account, so having a website to host it on would be of benefit for you. This website is free for you to use, it is owned by Vertical-Scope and is paid for with adverts that show up here and there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After I posted the above, I then noticed how many people you have here. Almost afraid of being overwhelmed!

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of us aren't online at the same time :)

I suggest that you do what we do at our rallys, we pay up front for our meals, so the host is not over-whelmed :)

we have a very well known, ( well in some circles ) a Labor Day event held in Eureka Springs, AR every year, called the Midwest Meet 'n Greet, also to be found here under the EVENTS banner.

We also have/had planned our Annual summer rally, CV-19 may cancel that, and merge it with the Labor Day weekend meet in Eureka Springs

the NASR summer event moves around the country each year, depends on who wants to host it.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Welcome here Gary. You got me at liver and onion. Salivating as I type this. Lets see how the current events progress
and we might see you in the middle of nowhere. I dont do FB so please keep us informed

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Don't let our total membership scare you. We have online members from across the country and all over the world. If you had 120 at one of your gatherings you have probably doubled our m&g totals. ??? If I tell my wife of your L&Os she will come without me.
You guys don't grow any wheat up around there do you? Lol. Any pics of your meet and rides?

·
Registered
703 Posts
St Libory is about 10 mi North of Grand Island NE, there's a big truck stop and several big motels in Grand Island.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts