Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Let's see if this works....I rode my new wing from my home on the coast in California to hang out with some friends in Benson/Tombstone Arizona and the surrounding desert. 800 miles out in a day, several hundred around the area and 800 back in a day. Most of the interstates are 75mph so I cruise controlled it at 82 and let them pass me - :D On the way out I avoided the LA basin and had one great ride with little traffic. My Sunday ride back was about the same. Crossed 2 deserts (Sonoran and Mohave) with temps mostly in the 90's (99 for the last half of the ride home) and then 50's back in CA when the sun went down. 12-13 hours each way and the new wing just purred. MP3 player the whole way just rocked and the scenery was just fantastic. Didn't get much in the desert because I don't picture take while I ride and my wife hates desert - but we managed to get a few in southern Arizona.

Below is a link to a picture .pdf of the trip.

More pics of my ride...

http://ndnrdr.com/images/2008BensonPowWow/BensonTrip.pdf

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Great ride.......

Great pictures......

Great commentary.....

Tombstone! Bisbee! I "ache" to go there..... always worked as an educator, summers off, too hot in the summer to go there..... maybe next year's the time....

Thank you, Blackdog!

(be sure and go to his link, check out all his pictures!)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,763 Posts
imported post

Nice job you did with the photos.

I like it, and it is obvious you two had a great time.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

That's awesome. I was born in Mesa, but we moved when I was 2 months old and haven't been back since. Keep telling myself to get out there someday.

BTW ever notice there's *always* one Goldwing in a pack of cruisers on the road?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Looks like a great ride. Great pics, too.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Looks like a great ride out and I can see you all had a blast but isn't that what it's all about ??

well done :)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Some really great pictures there and good snappy explanations where necessary. :clapper:

Nothing most of us like more than seeing pics of bikes and babes, except maybe taking the same sort of trips ourselves. :cool:

Excellent job Blackdog!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
imported post

Looks like a good time was had by all. Nice.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

That was cool, loved the pics God America is the greatest place to live...if you and your lady are ever in my neck of the woods you are welcome here.....regards Larry

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Very nice pictures!!!! Glad you had a great time!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks CJ...

Well CJ - this group I ride with is currently planning on having this event every year.I'm likely to go back as well. If you are interested in a trip down the coast and then ride out there with me - you are welcome. We have a room you could hang your hat in and then saddle up for the rideout. Let me know - I know the group is open to all participation.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks Larry - you never know - My bride and I already did one trip renting a BMW GS and rode from MA up the coast of Maine and down to Cape Cod to visit some of my old haunts. I am originally from upstate NY - so I would like to visit there someday as well. If you're headed out this way let me know as well.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

chris in va wrote:
That's awesome. I was born in Mesa, but we moved when I was 2 months old and haven't been back since. Keep telling myself to get out there someday.

BTW ever notice there's *always* one Goldwing in a pack of cruisers on the road?
Thanks Chris - the funny part is - this is an Indian-centric riders group - that is open to all. Most have moved on because of the lack of a factory (up until now - and we're waiting for them to start rolling bikes) - that is why you see all the other cruisers. I still have my Indian and probably always will - but after a couple hundred thousand miles it is time to rest her for weekends and trailering. Goldwing is THE absolute best machine for distance touring in my book. Cruising - I'll take the Indian - Touring the Goldwing. That particular chapter is based mostly out of Phoenix and a couple in Tucson so they all rode their cruisers down - only 1 Indian in all those pics but there was several there romping around the area. They were all admiring my Goldwing - LOL There is another 1100 in the group there - not sure if you can see it - he borrowed from his neighbor in Phoenix. He saw mine and drooled all weekendand I think he's sold - he will be getting a new 1800 for he and his wife to tour on. Another one hooked - LOL:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks All - it was a great time. My wife and I do a couple of these trips a year and then of course the weekenders :jumper:.

I'll try to post pics again as we go. I might need to search a bit but do we have a section for ride descriptions and pictures - where we could collect all these things? I know wingers would love to "see" some country shots to help them in the planning of their "next ride" Maybe organized with subdivisions by country - then province/state - then major cities on route - then routes? Just wondering...:clapper:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Yes there is a section for reports of rides and some pictures. "Owners Reports" is where they can go, ( heading in the collumn to the right on the home page) but I think to get it in there it all needs sending to Steve Saunders and he puts them in there.

I for one would like to see some fresh repors in there. :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Yes there is a section for reports of rides and some pictures. "Owners Reports" is where they can go, ( heading in the collumn to the right on the home page) but I think to get it in there it all needs sending to Steve Saunders and he puts them in there.

I for one would like to see some fresh repors in there. :)
Thanks Silverfox - took me a bit to find it - but using the skin I have it is in the banner to the right of the page. I usually write up my couple of long rides for my riders group I belong to. Maybe I will edit a version to submit to Steve as well. Thanks.

Also...it looks like 2006 was the last? I have a bunch of "old" pictures dating back to 2002 - I have put in about 250,000 in the US since then. Would it interest anyone to "see" some of the placespeople have ridden? Is it the recency of the ride? Or, the ride/area/route/terrain itself that would interest people?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I would think just about anything and everything would be of interest to someone Blackdog, with so many members there will be somethng for everyone.

For those of us over the other side of the Pond, we might be a bit green with envy, but maybe we might get the chance to do some riding in the States. I know I am hoping to next year for the Nassir2 Meet & Greet. we enjoyed the first one so much we are champing at the bit to come back over.

Once I get the photo thing sorted I intend to write a report myself about our visit and to submit it to Steve. :)

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Sounds like fun, Blackdog! That ride through Bisbee and Ft. Huachuca is gorgeous and there is nothing like the smell of the desert in the evening. Great pic, too!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
I would think just about anything and everything would be of interest to someone Blackdog, with so many members there will be somethng for everyone.

For those of us over the other side of the Pond, we might be a bit green with envy, but maybe we might get the chance to do some riding in the States. I know I am hoping to next year for the Nassir2 Meet & Greet. we enjoyed the first one so much we are champing at the bit to come back over.

Once I get the photo thing sorted I intend to write a report myself about our visit and to submit it to Steve. :)
Right on Silverfox. I would also like to hear about the other side of the pond. Rides in Ireland, rural UK, on and on... I would especially like to hear of rides through the Loch's and maybe if responsible people tour the Scotch distilleries that would be cool too - countless opportunities from all the world's wing riders!!! :cool:

In my case I would love to piece together the know-how to put together a ride to visit my mother's homeland - Hungary. I've been to Ireland, UK, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Germany some only briefly - but would someday -before my riding is over - string a whole bunch together.

Maybe someday when we're able we can share rides in person - locals hosting the best their areas have to offer - seems to happen a bit anyway - I just like to have the "appetizer" of local stories first. :action:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.