Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What a great day we had yesterday on the run to MAAM CROSS in CoGalway,,We had arount 36 wings from all parts of Ireland and I must say it was a great day ,,Would you believe it was a Cork man who lead us around the lovely scenic route ,,Liam Brown must have spent his wild years around this side of the country,,As usual the banter between the different regions was at times very funny as the munster wings struggled to get the money out of their wallets to pay for the crisps and fanta ,that they called lunch ,,No bother to the leinster lads ,,we had a proper lunch as did the western wings,,,Spot was on hand to calm things down ,,,

But on a serious note ,I think it might be an idea to educate some of the new members on how to ride in staggered formation ,,,Some of thes guys had not got a clue and caused problems for others behind ,,so I think from now on we should add some kind of an information leaflet in with new membership and before a run just take 5 mins to show all how to ride safely ,,I am not talking about a riding course ,but a quick talk on the basics of group riding ,,,

we are off to France on thurs so we will see ya all when we get back for more fun filled wing days ,,,

Thanks to Liam,paul, johnny and Mags and everybody who contributed to make yesterday a great day out among friends ...........cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

what a great day and the scenic run around galway was fantastic only a small sprinkle of rain on an otherwise exceptional day :D. cant go to france due to work commitments but i hope the lads have a ball (really must bring me camera next time). pity about the idiot on the bike pulling wheelies although i do believe the odd speed limit was bent a little. still i had a ball .good luck ..Eric:clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I was working but managed to get down to the Statoil garage to meet up with some of the lads prior to everyone departing for Galway. Have to agree with Ciaran. Being a new member myself and going on my first long distance (to me anyway) run to Bandon last Sunday, Pat C & Mike R who travelled with me were great. Pat told me about the formation riding and I did basically what he suggested. Hell if I didn't want to, I'd just wait till everyone pulled away and then do my own thing.But anyway formation riding was great. I know exp members don't need to be reminded but new members would be wise to listen to the exp for a few minutes. Makes life easier for everyone :):)

As for the fella pulling wheelies, there's a time & a place for doing things like that & it's not on a public road. Sick & tired of having to go out on calls for some muppet who thought he was being "cool" and showing off only to fall off & injure himself or worse someone innocent & i'm left trying to explain to everyone :X:X:X:X:X

Anyway well done to the organiser's :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

just to make sure i dont get into trouble, the guy doing the wheelies was not on the run or with the club in fact he wasnt even on the road he kept racing up the hard shoulder:shock: . its guys like these that give bikinga bad name :(.Eric

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
imported post

Eric,

Thanks for clarifying that. I presumed as much that it wasn't a member of the club. We have more respect for our rides than that :):):)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Nice to read that the Galway run went safely and all members returned home safe and sound. :clapper: These wheelie fools on the road give us all a bad name, :whip:thats why it's so important when out on our :18red: :15red: :12red: :1000red: :11red: that weride with care and consideration for other road users. :jumper:

Just read in a local newspaper that four m/cyclists were stopped for speeding on the road that passes through the Curlews in Co.Roscommon:whip: the front bike was recorded at a speed of 269 km/h. They were arrested and charged with the appropriate offence. :whip:The four riders were employed as, (1) Doctor :crying: (2) Solicitor :stumped: (3) Barrister :X (4) Accountant :crying:and were all residents of Northern Ireland. :whip:

:whip: :18red: :whip:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

could that mean that there are drivers comming down from northern ireland and taking advantage of our lack of a traffic corps:shock::shock: cos it would explain why the worst driving on our roads always seems to be a car with a UK plate on it:?.Eric

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Try coming up North to Derry and watching the Donegal registered cars on the road. Indicators - "what are they for?" Roundabouts - "Now what way do I give way to." Overtaking - "what car coming the other way. Opps."

I have learned from bitter experience that it works both sides of the border. In my previous job it was the case that if a Southern driver was caught he had to be arrested to be dealt with. Released on bail to appear in court later. Most cops didn't think it worth the trouble and paperwork involved so they were only arrested for major violations. Result was they think they can do the minor ones and get away with it. Go into Derry town centre and watch the Southern cars parked all over the place. I have no doubt it is the same in Donegal with the Northern Motorists. Both sides need a fixed fine where money is handed over but with the ticket system where you pay later, mostdrivers cross back to their own side and the fines are never chased. :D

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

obviosly cos i live down south i would notice more northern drivers but i suppose f i lived in the north my problem would be with southern drivers, and i agree there should be some form of liason between north and south police forces but i dont see it happening

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
Try coming up North to Derry and watching the Donegal registered cars on the road. Indicators - "what are they for?" Roundabouts - "Now what way do I give way to." Overtaking - "what car coming the other way. Opps."
Hey Littlejohn :waving: Im not aware what happens in Derry or Donegal. I only stated what i read in the local paper here on the Islands.:stumped:And it's a known fact that these clowns on their high powered m/cycles :whip: from N/Ireland and indeedthe Republic of Irelandare a threat to the ordinary everyday road user. :crying:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing:waving:

You know what they say about Solicitors and Accountants ???

"95% of them, get the rest a bad name"

I never realised it also applies to their driving.

Brown Bear

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

brown bear wrote:
Hey Redwing:waving:

You know what they say about Solicitors and Accountants ???

"95% of them, get the rest a bad name"

I never realised it also applies to their driving.
Hey brown bear :waving:Im afraid it looks like it. :crying:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

Just read in a local newspaper that four m/cyclists were stopped for speeding on the road that passes through the Curlews in Co.Roscommon:whip: the front bike was recorded at a speed of 269 km/h.

:gunhead::gunhead:269km/h equals 168mph....... not bad for the roads around Roscommon:gunhead::gunhead:The road must be after improving greatly since i travelled them some years ago.

Or was it a case of the accountant getting his figures wrong, or the doctor doctoring the figures or even the lawmen getting the highest possible number available!!!!!!!!!!,

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingdo wrote:
269km/h equals 168mph....... not bad for the roads around RoscommonThe road must be after improving greatly since i travelled them some years ago.
Wingdo :crying: You obviously haven'tcovered many Counties on your wing in this little Country of ours. :stumped:Im quite sure the members on this great forum are capable of working out what 269km/h stands for in MPH. :whip:

The next time you get a chance travel through the Curlews in Co. Roscommon :skipping:and give thememberson this great forum your opinion on the standard of that stretch of roadway. :jumper:Then you can delete your previous post. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.