1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

dang...

link didnt work.

all they did was put toneodynium magnets on thebottom of the center stand, using two sided tape. Tested it with a lil bitty scooter, worked every time.

The magnets trigger the inductive loops in the road. Nothing new, wasjust a goodvid.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/828731/trigger_green_traffic_lights/

I don't know if it really works, but having sat at countless lights waiting for a car to come along, it's worth a shot and doesn't cost that much. Heck, I'm putting a dozen on my bike for that matter!

I was so glad when the town I lived in put up those traffic cameras. Changed every time. Louisville doesn't seem to have those unfortunately.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
Where do you get the magnets at??? Why not try it:baffled:
Should be able to find 1 or 2 of the strong magnets in any old hard drive carcass.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:cooldevil::cooldevil:Just so happens the wife works part time at a computer store!!!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
I don't know if it really works, but having sat at countless lights waiting for a car to come along, it's worth a shot and doesn't cost that much.
And I thought I was the only one who sits at redlights cussing the highway department.

15 miles from the house is a fourway that under no circumstance will my 1200 trigger the turn lane lights.

Early Sunday mornings when I go to the blood bank the traffic is very light. Sometimes I go thru two cycles and then just finally run it.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Usually a call (or several)to the local Public Works Deptor State DOT generates some satisfaction. It's a sensitivity issue with the loopthat is easily remedied. Most times, the gov't agency doesn't even know there's a problem. I'd try that before I went the magnet route, although that is fairly simple. However, other motorcyclistswould benefit from the phone calls.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

The magnets do work in activating inductive loops, BUT also promote rust where ever they are placed on metal. It also will work in parking garages with automatic gates. Another thing that works is dragging a peice of metal over the sensors. Years ago I saw thin pieces of aluminum attatched to the bottom of cars that when in motion did not touch the ground. At slow speeds it would drag the ground. It was to stop the static that cars would build up in the winter time. On the same principal it would work for the magnet induction loops that control stop lights

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I called our local department a couple times and they were very polite, courteous as they basically said,,,,,

"DUH!"

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I took the magnet out of a car transmission pan, and used RTV to attach it to the underside of the bike...works great!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Just lay your bike over on it's side, works every time.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
Where do you get the magnets at??? Why not try it:baffled:
One place I've gotten them is eBay...search "rare earth magnets" or similar... :waving:

On a side-note, be careful with them durned things...they will suck together with anything of ferrous metal or themselves so fast & hard that they shatter & spray schrapnel like a grenade. Get your skin in between, and you WILL bleed!! :shock:

If you get the nickel plated ones, they will withstand the elements quite well...:action:

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

Ace Hardware sells some very powerful "utility magnets". About the size and shape of a domino and they are cheap and very very strong. They'll pinch you!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

I don't know about other states, In MN the state patrol said that can go on a red light if their is no other traffic in area.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Doesn't matter if it's metal or a magnet, you just need to disturb the field so that it thinks there is a vehicle there. I used one of the magnets on my other bike and it seemed to help. All it is is a loop that when distubed creates a voltage or current and this causes the system to trip and think something is there. I haven't had a problem with the wing as of yet but in the past on the other bike I ran a few red lights at early times of the morning. If you have steel toed boots you could try running your foot over the line in the pavement or sticking a magnet to your toe. I also would purposely ride right over the sensor so that the whole bike was over the sensor and that helped once in a while. Also slowly riding along the sensor helped too.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I don't have any problems with Wings at intersections. Both the GL1200 and 1500 have enough metal mass near the pavement that it trips the lights for me.

I do try to find the sensors, and ride along one of the cuts in the pavement.

Too many people are under the mistaken notion that there's some kind of scale underneath the pavement and that it detects the weight.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

what about speaker magnets. these have a strong magnet.

I was at a light and the cross street was 45mph traffic pretty heavy at that time. My riding partner and I did not want to cross into the flow soi We were stuck uphill coaxing a 4 wheeler to approach the box. what they did was bavck up and find another route. i guess we scared the 4 wheeler.
2 bikes side by side and it did not trigger the light.
The advice about calling the township is good if you pay taxes at the light were you are having troubles, but you cant fix every light out there and having a light trigger helps in those situatons that are not home.Just try to beat a red light camera.Thos tickets arrive right to your mail bpox, Although Some one told me that there has to be an officer or witness present and there fore the ticket does not have to be paid and becomes void. DOnt how much truth that carries but its worth reasearch,but not worth the price of the fine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.