Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just (today) acquired a very clean 1998 1500 Aspencade. 2 owners before me. Very clean - 65k miles. I didn't start riding until about a year and a half ago (I'm 61) and I've been riding a 2004 VTX1800C. Great bike - low miles - clean as a whistle.

But I always wanted a Goldwing. Didn't have $30k to drop on a new one, and I couldn't really find a deal I wanted on a used one. This 1998 popped up and it was a great deal....my wife LOVED the back seat, so I did it. Rode it home today from the previous owner's house and was amazed at how stable and smooth it is on the interstate. I love the VTX, but it lets you feel the wind buffeting on the interstate - even with the windshield.

So looking forward to my wife and I rolling up the miles on it seeing the countryside.

The previous owner had just changed the battery, and now the radio presets and the clock reset every time you turn off the key, but that's not a huge deal. I've been doing research here and I'm sure it'll prove to be an easy fix - a fuse or something.

So happy to be here - hope to learn - hope to contribute. God Bless America!

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,356 Posts
:welc:

·
Premium Member
58,244 Posts
Hallo run4jc

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Welcome and a suggestion.............!!

The previous owner had just changed the battery, and now the radio presets and the clock reset every time you turn off the key, but that's not a huge deal. I've been doing research here and I'm sure it'll prove to be an easy fix - a fuse or something.

Check the # 13 (backup) 5-amp fuse in the relay box. It keeps power to the radio presets and clock when the ignition is off.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Check the # 13 (backup) 5-amp fuse in the relay box. It keeps power to the radio presets and clock when the ignition is off.
Thank you - I'll try that and report back. Going to be raining this weekend so I won't be riding, but I'll surely be cleaning and tinkering. Ridden it the past couple of days and I'm still amazed that a 21 year old bike can be so solid. Of course, it's a Honda. My '04 VTX is tight, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It worked!

Reporting in - this afternoon after church I decided to roll up my sleeves and dig around a little. Took the seat off because I wanted to :smile2:, took off the bottom piece of the trunk and loosened the left side saddle bag. This allowed me to get to the relays without actually removing the bag completely. It also allowed me to remove the back rest - I prefer the stock seat without the back rest.

The good news? Replaced the #13 5A backup fuse as suggested and voila! - radio holds presets, plays louder, and the clock keeps time. Very happy. Thanks for the help!!

·
Administrator
57,421 Posts

So happy to be here - hope to learn - hope to contribute. God Bless America!

most likely the 5 amp fuse in the fuse box behind the left saddle bag IIRC.

I think it is labeled 'radio or intercom or clock' ???
anyway, it holds the memory presets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Want to check back in. I'm not much of a 'poster' but this is worth reporting. A week or so back I picked up my Wing from one of the best independent Honda mechanics in town. While he had it: Timing belts, drain and replace all fluids, replaced plugs, oil and air filters (the filter looked like it had never been changed...don't judge...I just bought it in April!), lube, tightened steering head, and I probably missed something. It's a different bike now. Amazed at the longevity of these bikes. Granted, it has 'only' 65k miles, but it is 21 years old. Had it out on the interstate this morning and was amazed at the smooth power delivery at interstate speeds. If this one is this nice, I can't imagine how nice the newer ones must be.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Want to check back in. I'm not much of a 'poster' but this is worth reporting. A week or so back I picked up my Wing from one of the best independent Honda mechanics in town. While he had it: Timing belts, drain and replace all fluids, replaced plugs, oil and air filters (the filter looked like it had never been changed...don't judge...I just bought it in April!), lube, tightened steering head, and I probably missed something. It's a different bike now. Amazed at the longevity of these bikes. Granted, it has 'only' 65k miles, but it is 21 years old. Had it out on the interstate this morning and was amazed at the smooth power delivery at interstate speeds. If this one is this nice, I can't imagine how nice the newer ones must be.
Sub air filter and cruise filter. Also the right air shock boot. Your bike has the Valkyrie U-joint (slightly physically larger) but Honda used the Gold Wing boot. The U-joint rubs and tears the boot. Need the Drive Shaft Boot part # 52104-MZ0-A40 for the 1997 – 2003 Valkyrie.

Was not a recall but Honda replaced them under warranty....!!

At the next rear tire change, check/lube the rear drive shaft splines. Yes, they have been known to strip.

If your bike has the OEM alternator, they were made in another country and subject to premature failure. Having a spare is a good idea....!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts