Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greetings from Southern California

565 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Redwing 
#1 ·
Hello, all. I am not a Goldwing owner, yet. I am a 47 year old teacher who took the MSF course last summer and bought a 2006 Rebel 250, which I have ridden every day since I bought it almost a year ago. I realize going to a Goldwing is a big jump, but I have test ridden a late-model Yamaha Vstar 950 and both loved it and found it comfortable to operate, so I have a little experience with a bigger ride. While my 250 is great for around town, it is worthless on the freeways, which makes it very limiting here in the L.A. Area. Plus, I have summers free so I really want to do some touring around the Western states (at least to start). I am starting to research and look at mid-80's 1100 and 1200 GLs, as this would be a good size to start, and more pragmatically fits my budget ($2000-$4500) for the initial purchase. I'll make a separate post about advice on buying my first Goldwing and what to look for in what I'm looking for, but I wanted y'all to know where I was coming from. Any and all help/advice is always welcome, and I thank you who respond in advance. I am grateful this forum exists and it's good to be here.

#6 ·
Hallo tusk

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your search for a nice GoldWing.

#8 ·
Welcome, Welcome To Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum so withany Maintenance you do.If you have any questions no matter how trivial they may seem this forum is the place to ask them. What I have noticed is that some of the people here were 'Goldwings in their previous lives and can answer any question you have. The forums that I get the most from are::

Goldwing Technical Forum
General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

These have the best info about your bike and are where you ask questions and get help..

For Sale/Wanted Forum Good stuff for Sale....

And when you just need a good laugh:: Fun Forum
Again Welcome to the Forum...

And A Big Welcome From Clermont, Indiana.....

#9 ·
Welcome from Oklahoma :waving: Enjoy the wing :cheesygrin:

#10 ·

Welcome:waving:tusk
Most new members don't realize that the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum is much like an extended family and as such we like to get together on various occassions to renew old friendships and make new ones. For example, each year we put together a huge celebration called the North American Steve Saunders International Rally (NASSIR). Unfortunately you've just missed NASSIR 6 in Simcoe, Ontario however there is plenty of time to plan on attending NASSIR 7 which is being held in Fontana Dam, NC on July 8-10, 2014. If you want additional information please follow this lnk and it well take you to a dedicated information page for the event! Welcome aboard!!!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/13-nassir-meet-n-greet-forum/444833-nassir-7-information.html

#14 ·
Hey Tusk, welcome to the forums. This website is the place to be. My name is Tom, I am 47 too and I am from Bakersfield.
Anyhow, I just bought my first GL and I would like to encourage you to make the jump. I just bought a '92 Aspencade with 29k miles for $3875 up in Manteca. I am a great big guy with a health problem or two, and the GL1500's reliability, stature and smoothness seemed to be a good fit.
The bike broke down on me on the way back, and the guy had me towed the rest of the way home. After a close inspection, the problem was a main fuse link that had been JB welded. I replaced it, and all is well on the western front.
Yesterday I went for my very first ride through our "Kern River Canyon." It was our first 'get it on' session, and for 100+ twisty, turney miles my 'Rhonda' and I bonded. I am looking forward to quick little trips to Avila, Yosemite, Los Angeles.
It sounds like you have the experience with your 250 to keep the momentum flowing with a GL. It seems to be a big bike, but I don't think you really have to be big to be in control of it. My bike seems to be just a good overall machine. I am happy with my purchase, and I hope you will be too.

P.S. As I said, this is a great site for the GL crowd, probably the greatest. But, I would encourage you to look up GWRRA and go to their site. If you are intent on making the jump, this is the Org to belong to. I just signed up with the protection plus, and I get 100mi free rescue service. I love my Goldwing family.

#16 ·

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.