Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A forum member here, whose name shall not be stated, bagged himself a gremlin bell and affixed it to his steed this morning.

Before the day was out, he mastered the art of safely exiting the roadway with a locked up rear brake caliper.

Then we watched the local sheriff bag masterfully some local traffic miscreants!

LOL!!!

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

See, it does work. You didn't crash and I bet the miscreants didn't have one.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Seems likehe got his bell just in time and is safe & healthy. :)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

And it was double the power (it was a gift right), it could have been doubly bad and it wasn't.:D

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Gremlins,,,just don't feed'em after midnight.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
So Bagmaster's rear brake locked up, huh?:stumped::cooldevil:
So, it doesn't surprise me that you would be the one to figure out it was me with the problem.

I was on a fund raiser poker run for the family of a biker that had been killed by an uninsured, unliceseced, illeagl immigrant driver. We had just left the 2nd stop on the run and had gotten about 3 miles down the road when the bike started laboring an slowing down. I just barely made it into a walgreens parking lot across 2 lanes of some really crazy traffic when it finally locked up completely and was smoking to beat the band. OB1 ran into the store and grabbed a bottle of water while I stripped the left bag off to get to it. He poured the water on it and I cracked the banjo fitting real quick, it cooled down and unlocked.

OB1 called his wife to come get us, my son stayed and watch both bikes while we ran back to Gunney's bar in Goose Creek to get the truck and trailer. Got back to Walgreens and got her loaded up to return home.

It was too dang cold for us to ride the bike at 7 am so that's why I trailered the bike down, glad I did. The weather didn't do anything but get worse as the day went on so I was glad to get home out of it.

Right now the bike is still sitting on the trailer but I'll unload her later today and get her into the storage building so I can assess the damage. Will need new seals and pads for sure.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You might not need seals or anything but cleaning out the small port on the master cylinder which I'll bet was the cause of the overheating. If it's plugged the pressure on the pads can't release when you release the brakes. Heat generated by the pads rubbing will heat the fluid and make the brake lock up solidly. The only other likely cause would be a frozen caliper that can't slide on it's mounting bolts. Check the sleeve inside the two rubber boots where the smaller mounting bolt passes through the rear caliper.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

"Don't no much about calipers; don't know much about geography........!"

(who sang that song in the sixties?)

I don't know much about calipers, but I do know about gremlin bells. When Red and I smacked a deer in Michigan and damn near killed ourselves, we didn't have a bell..... when we got out of the hospital, her brother, who rides a VTX 1800, gave us one, and we haven't hit a deer since!

Coincidence? Perhaps.......

But... here... in the Goldwing Zone, there are things stranger than a stranger can contemplate....... or so we are told........

:cheeky1:

(Gad, I've got to get a hobby......)

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
You might not need seals or anything but cleaning out the small port on the master cylinder which I'll bet was the cause of the overheating. If it's plugged the pressure on the pads can't release when you release the brakes. Heat generated by the pads rubbing will heat the fluid and make the brake lock up solidly. The only other likely cause would be a frozen caliper that can't slide on it's mounting bolts. Check the sleeve inside the two rubber boots where the smaller mounting bolt passes through the rear caliper.
The rear tire was just replaced a month ago and while I had the caliper off I greased the bolts with moly 60 after cleaning them. I've already ordered new pads for all 3 calipers and they should be here by Friday.

I'm not taking any chances on the seals, going to the Hendersonville, NC location of Direct Line in the morning to get new seals. I will also at the least pull the master cylinder and resevoir and clean them.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
"Don't no much about calipers; don't know much about geography........!"

(who sang that song in the sixties?)

:cheeky1:

(Gad, I've got to get a hobby......)
Sam Cooke originally, then Hermans Hermits.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok, down for at least a week. New pads for all 3 calipers are on the way and new clyinder seals ordered from Direct Line. Also received some more parts for a Clarion 2 radio system in the mail today and have more on the way. Still haven't located a cb unit yet though, still looking.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't leave home without my grimlin bell!

Bernie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.