Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, new to the Goldwing experience but slowly finding my way round the bike.

My current issue is thick grey oil, not being a bike Mechanic and with the Gearbox using the same oil as the engine is it natural? I've removed the oil filter and the whole bike seems to be contaminated! Maybe a bigger issue on hand. All help greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
That looks like water droplets on the valve spring keeper. Did you purchase this from a flood prone area and perhaps it was in deep water ? If not It may have a blown head gasket....did you notice white smoke with the engine running. it may have even had a sweet smell to the exhaust ( antifreeze )
The valve cover shape makes me think this is an 1100? If I recall correctly there is a water pump seal that can fail which allows water/coolant to mix in the oil.
Others should be along soon to add there thoughts.

·
Administrator
26,564 Posts
No doubt water in the oil. How it got there is the question.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Last I heard, water and oil doesn't mix very well.............lol..!

Also doesn't "Lube" very well.....!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Def water in oil, drain, change filter and refil. Top up coolanr and keep a good eye on it if it keeps needing water and oil goes very grey again head gasket and or water pump

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I just bought a 1984 Goldwing 1200, how do you check the oil level in them and I had to put fluid in for the clutch handle and it doesn’t have any pressure on the handle ,how do I fix that?

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
554 Posts
Hi I just bought a 1984 Goldwing 1200, how do you check the oil level in them and I had to put fluid in for the clutch handle and it doesn’t have any pressure on the handle ,how do I fix that?
That'd be a new thread, perhaps two.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
Hello truckermike, welcome to the forum family . It would better to start your questions in a separate posting so as not to confuse this thread about oil in the water.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oil in the water thread answer from my own experience. If you think coolant is getting into the crankcase, go to O'Reilly"s auto parts and check out a cooling system pressure tester. Pressure test the cooling system and that will tell if you have a leak. Should hold minimum of 15 psi for quite a while, like 20 minutes or more. 1100's have a sometimes problem with head gaskets. They like to leak coolant into the cylinders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts