Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone out there have a good cheap source for a respirator to use when grinding.
I have tried the elastic type of surgical mask but they don't work.
They ride up and hit my safety glasses and then I can't see what I am doing,
or they steam up the glasses. I tried a full face mask instead of glasses and it's OK
but the mask still doesn't work.

At night I am coughing up black for a few hours, after a day of grinding.
I know this isn't good for me.

I need some experienced help to solve this problem.

:waiting:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Cheap is always an issue -- I've got a few 3M units for 'visitors'they're less than $20 from Amazon.com (3M p/n=7193) ...

Cartridges can be had at a half-doxen of the local hardware stores (including Ace, Lowes, etc..)

Getting a mask with a one-way valve will really help to stop the foggin of your safety glasses/shield. The valve will also help assure that the mask stays well sealed to your face by not pressurizing the mask and 'testing' that life-preserving seal each time you exhale. The valves will also help keep your face cooler... (well, um ... I "highly recommend" having the valve)

Harbor Freight has P95 respirators starting at just about $15, Lowes and Ace carry 3M respirators, but should start about $15 higher... (P95 is a 95% filtration rating, I'd consider that a 'minimum' value

I feel that if you can test the fit and feel before you buy, you'll be more likely to use the mask (bring your glasses to get a good fit/feel), so "mail-order" may not actually save anything but a few dollars here.

:baffling:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

By cheap I mean the best quality for the best price.

I guess I shouldn't say cheap.

I want it to be good.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

IIRC, Lowes is now carrying the TEKK stuff from 3M (962023 with some of the DCA1-C filters) Should be a P100 setup with nice filters right outta the box for about $40

And thre are lesser filters available (you could get a set of particulate-only for your grinding work and swap em back and forth with the high-end organics that come with the mask if ya wanted...) -- no real crime to "over filter"...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Up here in canada I bought some Welding Respartors at princess auto. They are like regular dust masks but heavier and work way better also fit and comfort are very good. But pricey compared to regular n95 dust masks.
I like them for welding and drinding.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Can you actually breath in one of these?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Not to be a pill...but with all that beard...you aren't going to find ANY mask that's going to be effective. The beard just won't let it seal on your face properly.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

What about a full face respirator?

I like my beard.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Hey hey hey, hands off the beard :lash::cheesygrin:. Have you tried a sand blasting hood? I hate the darn things but they are affective.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Until Broke winger brought it to my attention I never thought that the beard was the problem.

It makes sense.

So now I am spending the day checking out different things and ran across this.

Anyone else out there with a beard, check this out - -

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/1272/dust-collection

Really not so pricey either, if I can put up with the nose clips.

I haven't seen anything better yet.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

On my last job I wore a 3M H-series Powered Air Purifying Respirator (PAPR). These have a hood along with a battery powered blower that attaches to a belt and blows air into the hood. The hood ressembles a blasting hood. I too have beard I am fond of and the company I worked for would have rather spent the money tan too have lost me. I brought it home when the company closed here. If your interested send me a PM an I'll get you some pictures. We can work something out on mine.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

zimco wrote:
Until Broke winger brought it to my attention I never thought that the beard was the problem.

It makes sense.

Two thoughts:

Be careful where you set it down and I don't like breathing through my mouth.

However it looks like it would do a good job once one gets used to it.
Or you could use a conventional respirator and run abead of silicone around it.:D

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

zimco wrote:

It makes sense.

That looks like your best bet. And when it comes to health and comfort...well there is no such thing as too expensive. One thing though, I'd advise keeping plenty of fluids on hand because mouth breathing will dehydrate you. But it apparently is designed so taking a drink now and then isn't a major issue. If I were in a position to need summin like that I'd buy that one in a heart beat. You might want to check with yer employer, explain the situation to them and they might be willing to buy it for you, or maybe reimburse you for part of the cost. Even if they don't I'd say get it anyway.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I used to work for Deka Battery. And because of the lead they were insane about respirators and safety glasses and whatnot. And they actually did beard checks to make sure no one was getting to long in the face to get good use of their respirators. So I knew right away your beard was a problem for you.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

take the mask your using and wet it down a bit it will catch more than with it dry or double them up or triple them if needed

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

new pm ZIMCO

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I want to thank everyone who took the time to help me with this respirator problem.

I want to call out Broke winger who brought it to my attention that the beard was the problem.
It never dawned on me, I have had it so long.

Now I want to especially thank Unclet1 for saving me a whole lot of money and possibly my health,
by donating to me a 3m respirator system.

What a great guy, he brings to mind the saying

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda" :applause:

Thanks again everyone.
Dave "Zimco"

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I'd have to agree with Brokenwinger on the beard issue. My employees are required to remain clean shaven because of the poor seal you get when wearing theirrespirator. They are required to wear a respirator when splicing joints because of the lead shavings and smoke fumes when sweating and wiping the lead joints.
We have found during our annual respirator fit testing that you can't get a good seal without a clean shaven face.

Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

fire fighters are the same way because they are required to use oxygen masks they have to undergo air breathing tests i did one once you read a goofy paragraph while being monitored on a machine the wording in the paragraph works every muscle in your mouth to ensure a good and proper seal its kinda neat to do.

i know all the union shops that do metal work require a strict facial hair quota some only allow small hitler mushtaches if any at all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.