Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just stumbled onto this site, signed in and hopefully will get some possible answers to my problem. I have a 88 GL1500 with 75,000 miles, a grinding condition has developed that is more vibration than a sound. At first this would occur only when driving and leaning off center to the left.I have turned engine off ( in neutral) at speed and noise was still present with above conditions. I initially thought front left wheel bearing......but now that the noise is present both left and right lean I am not so sure.Also I am trying to feel for vibration while driving and I am believing noise is coming from rear wheel. This noise/vibration almost feels like vibrating plastic panel at high speeds rather than a metalic grind, but the pitch is relatively the same from say 25mph to 70mph. Any clues before I pull my rear wheel assembly ? Thanks guys for any helpful thoughts.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Have you put on new tires lately? Some tires are very noisy in the turns.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

If you look through here you find out that it most likely the tires. My 1500 did it until I put on new tires,
It quit until We took a long trip and it started again. when you lean u get a rumble and it sounds like the wheel bearings going bad.

IT IS THE TIRES, after a few miles the center of the tire becomes more worn than the sides of the tire cuz we are upright more than leaned over, and when this difference to a certain amount it howls when you lean over.You can keep very new tires on it - rides curves as much as straightline- turn up the sounds- radio or exhaust- or kinda learn to live with it.

the only tire that MAY not do this is the michelin pilot, or a radial might not.
Oh yeah , welcome to the world's best Gold wing forum. Lots of good people and great help here.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem with mine and it turned out that I had two problems. First problem was a rear wheel bearing. It started out like a couple pieces of sheet metal striking each other, I changed rear brake pads and thought that was the problem but it came back. You could not get the bike to make the noise when on the centerstand, in any gear with the motor running. I even jacked up the rear and spun the tire and tried to move from side to side but everything seemed ok. After a thousand or so miles it finally developed into a bearing rumble and I took it apart and found a bad left rear bearing. I also have the 'leaning' noise and from what everyone says, and I believe them, this is the dreaded E-3 cupping. They say many tires do this but the E-3's are the worst. Running straight up it is silent but with the slightest lean to either side, you get the rumble/grind or whatever you would call it. I have a new Bridgestone Exedra that I am putting on and I expect this will solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Big John, Thanks for the great info........I'm going to "go" with the tire answer, mainly because it is not a conventional metal or whine sound. The tires are metzlers this go around, perhaps I'll go back to the Dunlaps next round and will answer the noise problem. Thanks a bunch !!!

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

"perhaps I'll go back to the Dunlaps next round and will answer the noise problem."

Dunlops will NOT solve the problem, bet you find they are worse? ;)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I'll second what racingbanker16 says. I have used Dunlops on all the bikes I've had over the 35 years that I have ridden and been satisfied with them until the E3 came out. In the beginning, they were notably louder than the E2's they replaced. As they wear, they get MUCH worse. The noise is even louder when the pavement is hot. I sounded like a four wheel drive truck rolling down the highway.

I've replaced the worn front with an Avon (excellent and quiet tire even though the tread looks similar to the E3) and I will do the same with the rear when it wears out.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i would change wheel bearings while you have tires off, cheap ins.:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Spondulas

my Dunlaps made the noise and have new Avon Venoms that I put on in January, and during along trip the Avons started making noise while leaning, about 1800 miles on them. sounds just about like the k177 that were on the bike when I got it last August.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.