Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just put grip heaters on my bike, and i love them. However...this has a been a month long headache, and I will tell you why. When i got them, they didnt come with glue. So i says to myself, no problem...I will just get some grip glue at the local bike shop. I installed the grips, waited a day, and all was good. Until i turned them on and went for a long ride. The glue got hot, and gooey, and the grips moved around; the throttle side twisted the wires 90 degrees around before i got home. I removed the grips, and cleaned all the glue residue off, and decided on another plan. So i tried some gorrilla snot weather adhesive...same thing happened. I dont think this stuff really ever dried....as the temps were around 40 or so. So off came the grips again...then i tried the golf club grip thing...which is double sided tape with a agent to allow them to set. this worked for a day or two....then, first long ride, same ol thing happened, grips got loose again. A senior member suggested big bike parts grip glue gel. Which is intended for heated grips, and has worked perfectly. several long trips, and no slipping of grips, and no movement whatsoever. Thanks Dusty Boots for the input, and curing my grip proplem. I hope this info can help anyone trying to install heated grips, or grip heaters, and save them the headaches i had along the way.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I didn't know grip glue gel was available. Thanks for the tip.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

T'was No Problem at all, M' Lord. Glad it solved that problem.

I suggested that his Lordshipget it from Gary, over at Cyclemax, seeing as his company supports this site so much.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/111950/83822

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sorry Dusty,
I did a goggle search Big Bike Parts. I forgot you posted Gary's link in the other post. Not trying to put business to BBP, just what showed on the search.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

+1 on the grip Jel from Cyclemax. I used it on my new electric grips this fall and no issues with them slipping. I have road with them on quite a bit this winter already. I would recommend 2 bottles of it. It is hard to get it out of the litle bottles they come in.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I got mine from cyclemax as suggested on the link. And a big plus one on the little bottle....i had to squeeze it in every direction with pliers to get the amount i desired. Its pretty thick stuff, so i carried the bottle around in my pocket for awhile hoping my body heat would thin it out some. Next time, i will use one on each grip, its cheap enough. The glue i got from a local dealer was 11.00. Hiway robbery i say!!! And it didnt work for beans. I am thrilled that my grip saga is overwith. That was being a real pain for awhile. I did post on another link, but it wasnt on the subject of glue. I think we were discussing the heaters themselves. They are indeed worth the money, and i would recommend them to anyone who rides in cold weather. Cyclemax on these too, and they are under 40 bucks.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

My non-heated Kury ISO came with Black Widow glue. Well, tubes of what at one time was glue but was now tube shaped rocks.

So I used Grip Glue, Glue Grip cement, hairspray, rubber cement. Nothing seemed to keep them tight for over a month or two.

Off I went to a local custom bike builder in town and asked them what they use: Superglue!

Put that on 8 months ago, no problem!

My advice, got a problem, go to a pro for advice. Be nice, support them when you can afford to (buy some accessories through them instead of the internet) and they will be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I must say, the grip glue gel smelled almost exactly like super glue...however it was MUCH thicker.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey NEWDAY...thats pretty cool how you aquired your wing. Thats a neat story...

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
I got mine from cyclemax as suggested on the link. And a big plus one on the little bottle.... I think we were discussing the heaters themselves. They are indeed worth the money, and i would recommend them to anyone who rides in cold weather. Cyclemax on these too, and they are under 40 bucks.

I think you are getting a little mixed up on where you bought what, M' Lord!
:D

Gary @ Cyclemax,does not carry those grip heaters!:ShakeHead:.... yet! I'll put the 'bug' in his ear

Best place I can recommend to get them (at the moment) is from California Sport Touring. They work real well and you can mount your favorite grip, over top of them.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Ditto on the Super Glue! Tried everything on my grips on my last bike, but whatever I used, in hot weather the glue lost its grip. My dealer suggested Super Glue, and I never had a problem again, even riding in 100 degree weather!
:thumbsup:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Believe me ..... the gripsget a lot hotter than 100*, when the grip heaters are switched on high! :shock:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
lordbradley71 wrote:
I got mine from cyclemax as suggested on the link. And a big plus one on the little bottle.... I think we were discussing the heaters themselves. They are indeed worth the money, and i would recommend them to anyone who rides in cold weather. Cyclemax on these too, and they are under 40 bucks.

I think you are getting a little mixed up on where you bought what, M' Lord!
:D

My bad...I got them from wherever the link was that you sent. oopsie, I thought it was cycle max. I ordered so much stuff with my xmas money, I couldnt tell you where I got what from where. Anyway, I just installed a set on my wifes vulcan 900 today...I cant wait to see how she likes them!:cheesygrin:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

No Problem!

Just thought I should throw that in there and make it clear that Gary does not carry the grip heater kit, ........ at this time.

I did howeverPM him and put forththe suggestion that he might want to consider carrying them in the future. He is very receptive to our suggestions. :cooler:That's why he now carriesHonda Moly Paste 60, after I informed him members here were having a tough time finding it and suggested he might want to stock it.

That's why Cyclemax gets so much of my business

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
Hey NEWDAY...thats pretty cool how you aquired your wing. Thats a neat story...
Thanks I think it is too. Put it through the paces on a 13,000 mile test run this summer and fall, 3 1/2 months.

Is that the Tail of the Dragon in your avatar?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

newday777 wrote:
lordbradley71 wrote:
Is that the Tail of the Dragon in your avatar?
Yes sir!!! That trip was a blast!! Sometime I will have to tell you the story of my journey...with my wife on her own bike, just got her licence the friday before we left. What a great time...I cant wait to get back there and apply my skills that Ive learned!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.