Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The grip heaters on my new (to me) 07 GL1800 with 7500 miles have quit
. Actually, I'm not sure they've worked since I bought it, since this was the first cold day of riding.

I checked both fuses and they are OK, and both seat heaters are working.

Any idea what might be the problem?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Take it back to the dealer. 99 percent of the time when the grip heaters quit working it is the heat control unit. Located behind the battery and under the front of the left saddlebag.

Just to check the continuity of the wires and pin connectors on the grips you have to remove the shelter and the right radiator. Yep that stuff is buried under the radiator.

All that have had trouble with this situation, it has turned out to be the heat control unit.

Kit

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Kit. I'll try to get it tomorrow and suggest that they check the controller first.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

You did remember to plug the seat back in fully, didn't you and if you pulled the top shelter, that the little connector is fully home. :cooldj:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Pretty sure:weightlifter: I got the plug tight - both seat heaters are working. What is this about the "top shelter" :baffled:?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

An '07? Isn't it under warranty? I'd leave it for the dealer :toast:

DB

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yep, taking it in tomorrow for the dealer to have a look :?. Also going to have him hook up my VisiStop brake light flasher while I'm at it. I never did find the right wires.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

dbwallace wrote:
Pretty sure :weightlifter: I got the plug tight - both seat heaters are working.  What is this about the "top shelter" :baffled:?
It's the little plug just in front of the ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK, Globetrotter, how does one access this plug in front of the ignition key:baffled:? If it's easy, I'll check it before heading to the dealer in the morning:cool:.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just an FYI. Took it to the dealer, they checked it out and the left grip heater element is bad :shock:. So, buttoned it back up and ordered the part.

I couldn't believe how much of the bike got opened up and how much wiring and plumbing is under the skin!
And as a bonus:cool:, when the mechanic removed the left saddlebag, he found the missing tool kit clear in the back under the taillight.

I had him hook up the VisiStop brake modulator:cooldj: while he had the seat off - took him five minutes. I had tried to hook it to the right color wire, but on a line available to feed an optional brake light:goofygrin:.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Glad you found the problem. Yes the first time I saw under the shelter of an 1800, I remember thinking, oh yea, and you are going to work on this stuff:cheeky1::cheeky1:. There is a for sure a lot to these bikes.

Kit

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Result!!

On the subject of complexity, I had a 'heads up' when I had to adjust the head bearings of my Silverwing maxi-scooter which takes a lot of visual design cues from its big Grandpa. It took hours to dismantle the front fairing to get anywhere near the blessed assembly!! I don't think this augers well for when I actually take delivery [next week] of my GL1800 - and I'm an ex-aircraft engineer!! LOL

My Blackbird was soooooo much easier! Ahh well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.