Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I wanted to fit the ISO type grips on my GL 1800, I am currently commuting 306 miles a day, and my hands are getting just a tad uncomfortable.

I have a 2004 with original Honda heated grips. The ISO's offered by that K firm that I cannot spell, are for a 2006 onwards. I am reliably informed by wexy that the 2006 ISO's will not fit my bike.

So to my question: Do any of you guys know of an alternative that will fit over my heated grips, allowing the heat to pass through, that might offer a little morediameter of grip, nearby being more comfortabe for this hands of mine.

Second Question,: if need be, could I change my bars to being those of the 2006 and later models replace the heated grips and then fit the ISO's.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)David,,, ive been looking,, but cannot find for the life in me, a type of heated bag,that fits over the handle bar and leaver part of bikes,, if i remember correct, its universal and slots over any bikes bars,,, ive seen a lot of BMWs with them on,,,,,,,,,ill keep looking:)

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Don't know about the heated grips David, sorry.

PP, are you talking about the Hippo Hands? They're not heated but are supposed to be very warm.
http://www.hippohands.com/hhgw1800.htm

John

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Can't you just buy the heated grips from a 2006 or newer model or are the bars & throttle sleeve a different size? I wouldn't think you would need to change the bars or even the throttle sleeve. The regular Kuryakyn ISO grips say they fit Goldwings from 75-2008, so that tells me that all of the bars and throttle sleeves on the Wings are the same size.

John

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Don't know about the heated grips David, sorry.

PP, are you talking about the Hippo Hands? They're not heated but are supposed to be very warm.
http://www.hippohands.com/hhgw1800.htm

John
:clapper:those are the ones,,, cheers John,, i thought they were heated though, still they do look like theyll keep alot of the winter out:waving:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

After writing the post above, I went and did some looking. Looks like what I suggested is easier said than done. It appears that the difference in the early & late model 1800 heated grips includes the connectors and probably the controllers. That said, you would likely need to change the controller & wiring to the grips as well as installing the newer style grips. It would get pretty expensive. Not being an 1800 owner, is there a difference in how the controller is mounted between the two generations?

John

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
I wanted to fit the ISO type grips on my GL 1800, I am currently commuting 306 miles a day, and my hands are getting just a tad uncomfortable.

I have a 2004 with original Honda heated grips. The ISO's offered by that K firm that I cannot spell, are for a 2006 onwards. I am reliably informed by wexy that the 2006 ISO's will not fit my bike.

So to my question: Do any of you guys know of an alternative that will fit over my heated grips, allowing the heat to pass through, that might offer a little morediameter of grip, nearby being more comfortabe for this hands of mine.

Second Question,: if need be, could I change my bars to being those of the 2006 and later models replace the heated grips and then fit the ISO's.

Thanks in advance guys.
Well I had the same problem with my 1800.I have factory heated grips and I wanted to increase the diameter for more comfort and still let the heat come thru.I got a pair of slip over grips that work perfect and they only cost $8.00 from cycle max in Ohio.Check em out......

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
Well I had the same problem with my 1800.I have factory heated grips and I wanted to increase the diameter for more comfort and still let the heat come thru.I got a pair of slip over grips that work perfect and they only cost $8.00 from cycle max in Ohio.Check em out......
Nice one. I assume you mean these?
http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/15395

John

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have made some very nice grips out of tooling leather before. The leather is about 3/16 inch thick so that adds 3/8 in diameter to the grips. You can tool it or not, fancy or not, just cut it to size, and latigo lace it along the bottom side and pull it taunt. Braid a fancy turkshead knot in two places to cover the rough edge or you can pre-lace and finish the edge prior to installing the covers.

Have done that to a couple bikes in the past when factory grips were too small, and nothing was available.

Leather would allow the heat to come on through also. Kit

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Yes they are exactly the ones I have on my 1800.Fits my hand good and the heat comes thru,at $7.00 they are worth a try,easy to install.....

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

David, not sure if you have the heated seats as well, to what i can remmeber if you have a problem with either the grips or seats the other stops working so taking them off may stop the seats.

Kureaken or whatever way you spell it, they have brought some sort of heated grip out, not sure whats the specs are though.

·
12,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
For $8.00 I'll be giving those a try, do you have a any problems with them slipping, especially on the throttle side.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Was begining to think I might hve to change the bike to a newr model... :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

18" strips of gaffer tape David...... fold in half length ways and wind round the grips, you hands will grip very welland you will still feel the heat!!!!!!:D:D

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
redeyes88 wrote:
For $8.00 I'll be giving those a try, do you have a any problems with them slipping, especially on the throttle side.

Was begining to think I might hve to change the bike to a newr model... :cheeky1:

I told you I would give you two and six for it :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

tanygaer wrote:
redeyes88 wrote:

No problems with them slipping,just follow instructions,you will like them

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

2 and 6 on offer from Wexy, offer on the table, might be worth having:). Incidentally why wont the kuryakyn ones fit a previous model, are they too small of big

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.