Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Sure glad it wasn't me.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Holy Carburetors! Red and I ride Lolo all the time!

We, too, almost hit a Grizzly once.... coming down early one morning from Beartooth Pass, and turning left on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, I saw a cow ambling toward us on our side of the road..... I slowed down, and moved into the oncoming lane to give it room.......

"Look Out! Look Out!" Red began and kept screaming.......

I looked again at the "cow" which had somehow turned into a Grizzly..... we rode by it at 30mph within 10 feet! He (or she) didn't even look at us..... I had nightmares for months!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I emailed this to Mitch Boehm yesterday, was going to post it here but you beat me to it!
I have had a near crash with a female black bear and two cubs in the smokie mnt. park.
Maybe we need some BEAR ALERTS!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Rode through Yellowstone Park with the bears, it is still a bit nerve racking knowing you don't have the protection that the cages have while amongst the bears (plural) that are only about 20 yards away. The big guy looked to be about 600 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

Only one thought comes to mind. Its a good thing the bear died. Would have been one ticked off bear if he were only injured.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Yikes! :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

WOW. I'll have to keep my eyes open this summer. True Story...

In December of 2002 I was in the Middle of a Cross Country ride across the south on my Heavy V-twin Cruiser (2002 Indian) - I was staying a few nightsin Flagstaff, AZand had spent the day visiting the Hopi on their reservation. Left Kykotsmovi on the reservation at 6pm - 32 degrees and dropping. I start to approach the halfway point - a town called Leupp - just as you cross onto Navajo reservation heading that way.

Up ahead in the dark I see this "form" rocking left to right and back again on the right shoulder - can't make it out...closer still...can't make it out. Start leaning... peering around my windshield - look over my clear goggles...can't make it out...

Slow asI approach and IMMEDIATELY move to the oncoming traffic lane where there was no traffic on the straightaway for miles - only darkness - no streetlights because...

The rythmic movement was the arse end of a Black Bear that appeared to be the size of an F150!!! He was one BIG ARSE BEAR!! Had I not been so interested in throttling out of there - I could have pulled in my clutch and "quietly" rolled past running my throttle hand down his left side. Kinda stunk too - LOL

I pulled into the station at Leupp to warm up and all excited spoke to the young Navajo woman there. She said "Oh, that's Ernie". I said "You know him?" She said "Well, yeah - we named him Ernie. He comes around some nights and gets in the trash and sometimes eats an old dog". :shock:

Glad he didn't have a taste for "Blackdog" :action:

To this day I think - I passed him at about 45mph and accelleated once I realized what he was. I often shudder to think whatwould have happened had he chose to turn broadside and cross the road in front of me :cool:. Grizzly is awhole notch higher - Yeowsa!!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I lived in N.Manitoba for years, we have a lot of blacks there, but no grizzlies. The polar bears don't come anywhere much near civilisation, thank goodness.

One morning I was going to work on my Virago 1100, we had heard that someone lost a black puppy along the highway, so when I saw a black shape lying in the grass at the side of the road, I stopped.

I put the bike on the side stand and walked the few feet to examine the critter, thinking to get the tag.

It didn't have a tag, it was a very small black bear cub, obviously hit by a car, still barely alive but bleeding from the mouth and nose.

There was a kind of frozen instant while this sunk in, then I made it back on to the bike in two leaps, at least that's what it felt like, and off I roared. I never did see Mama, maybe she got hit too. I often wonder.

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:shock::shock:How old would a Bearlike that be???

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

pinkpork wrote:
:shock::shock:How old would a Bearlike that be???
According to the stories in the Great Falls Tribune the bear was 12 years old.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Yeah. I was about to add that these pictures have been around for a long time. I don't think there is any way a motorcycle could kill a grizzly and not kill the rider! It would be like hitting a Sherman tank and living to tell about it. Not likely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.