Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:praying: I have been riding for awhile, usually on my own because of my work hours. I am usually working when most people are off and when I am off most people are working. Now my schedule is now a little morenormal so I am looking for a group or club etc that rides and go places...day trips (mostly)startingfrom the chicagoland area.Looking on the web for such a group is hard if you ever tried to do it; most of what I foundare clubs where I'll have to be "patched" in...which is a little more of an commitment that I am willing to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

wing-nut1 wrote:
:praying: I have been riding for awhile, usually on my own because of my work hours. I am usually working when most people are off and when I am off most people are working. Now my schedule is now a little morenormal so I am looking for a group or club etc that rides and go places...day trips (mostly)startingfrom the chicagoland area.Looking on the web for such a group is hard if you ever tried to do it; most of what I foundare clubs where I'll have to be "patched" in...which is a little more of an commitment that I am willing to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
These two forums might be a bit more local. >>>>>>http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6<<<<<<<<<< The first one's owner is just across the Mississippi river south of I-80 and the other owner is just south of Cleveland. I concider Steves to be more global ALTHOUGH there are MANY locals to hook up with. Good luck. By the way I'm just east of Toledo and my son lives in Marion Iowa. Theres a good friend in the Chitown area that belongs to the VTXOA that might be able to help with some local rides. His handle is chicagospike. This is THAT forum >>>>>>> http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/index.php<<<<<<< and him. >>>>>>>http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/member.php?311-Chicago-Spike<<<< You do know that going to local bikes shops and swap meets USUALLY garners information on different clubs and their rides. I go to a place west of town that is a Harley club. They don't care what you ride FOR their rides so we don't care either. A good time is all that matters and all we have. WOW. That took a lot of space to say all that. PHEW!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:waving:Thank you for the information....I will look into your suggestions and see what happens from there! Phil

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
imported post

Wing Nut - I belong to a group on the NW side of Chicago called Gypsy Wheels... We were formerly IL-A2 of GWRRA but now are an AGWA organization...

Drop me an e-mail and I'll give you all the particulars on meeting time, place, rides, etc...

Les

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

Nut,

If you are looking for a longer ride, say 1500 miles, there is a group of Honda CB owners that are getting ready to launch a cross-country relay. The Michigan riders are planning to ride around Lake Huron in August/Sept. timeframe. The relay will be passing thru Wis, Iowa & Illinois prolly late July.

It's mostly a CB thing, but all bikes, all years and all riders are welcome to tag along!

Here are some details.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=101662.0

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I'm not in a group or club but I'm willing to saddle up and ride anytime you'd like. I live in Round Lake but willing to travel any direction. 200-300 mile a day trips are not uncommon. I have been known to ride up to 500 miles in a day.

I have an overnight trip coming up if your interested. I'm riding to southern IL for the annuall Moonshine Lunch Run. I've never been down there but itshould be fun.

[url]http://moonshine-run.com[/url]

I'm not into bar hopping or drinking. I enjoy riding and enjoying the scenery. If interested in getting together shoot me a PM and we can meet and plan some rides.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ive joined a few riding clubs locally but at first its all cool just meet up and have fun but from my experience, they always want to meet at bars which i dont preferr none of them had any kind of "family values" it was a double edged sword and not to mention they all were super bikers thinking they were evil kenivel which i am not....

i just preferr to ride by myself and if i tail other riders or they tail me i really dont care too much

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
ive joined a few riding clubs locally but at first its all cool just meet up and have fun but from my experience, they always want to meet at bars which i dont preferr none of them had any kind of "family values" it was a double edged sword and not to mention they all were super bikers thinking they were evil kenivel which i am not....

i just preferr to ride by myself and if i tail other riders or they tail me i really dont care too much
Thats how I am. I prefer to ride alone but if I meet up with some others or they tag along with me thats cool. I do have a very close friend I enjoy riding with but we never seem to be able to go at the same time. Hes the guy I bought my first CB900 Custom from. They are also the couple we went on vacation with two and three years ago. Like when we went over the side. I DON'T go to bars because I don't drink and thats NOT my idea of riding. I were going to drink it would be at home and would NEVER take the bike out afterwards. But I don't drink so thats that.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i ride with my dad mostly

i agree whole hrartedly vx

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

I'm riding to southern IL for the annuall Moonshine Lunch Run. I've never been down there but itshould be fun.

Moonshine is a real experience. The burgers are great.I have been there before it became a hit. It is now a destination for many groups. If you are headed there on your own you might want to use a GPS unit.

Have not been part of the Moonshine run but looks like it might be fun.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
imported post

http://www.dsphonda.com/miscpage_007.asp
Nut ,heres a link from DesPlaines Hondas club corner with all of the groups around here. You also might want to check out Niehaus Hondas customer appreciation days in mid May.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Monkeytrucker,

GPS stays on the bike and I've looked it up on the map. It is in the backwoods. Looking forward to the ride in April.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

wing-nut1 wrote:
I know what you mean about not wanting to be "Patched" in or belonging to that sort of club.

One suggestion is to click on the Chicago or Illinois location link of your location in your profileor other peoples profile.That will give you a list of members in thatcity or state. Look for active membersandsend some pm's about meeting up for a ride or coffee. Most are willing to use any excuse to ride and to meet up with fellow goldwing owners.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Check out the Jerseypine Cruisers at www.jerseypinecruisers.org. They meet at the Des Plaines McDonalds at Lee and Oakton Sun. morns. and leave for a breakfast ride at 9 AM. Most times there is a short ride and a longer ride. They also have overnight rides and dinner runs.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Parman wrote:
Monkeytrucker,

GPS stays on the bike and I've looked it up on the map. It is in the backwoods. Looking forward to the ride in April.
Yes it is. Even some locals use their GPS units to get there. It is amazing how it has become a great destination. It used to be she shut down when she ran out of hamburger. Now she evidently keeps a lot of meat on hand. However the 12:30 shut down is the rule. During the week is a good time as she basically is only dealing with locals. The whole thing is because of the name Moonshine. It is fun to look at a part of the country in greater detail and look at the names of places that were once a small town complete with a post office that might have been only a drawer in the general store.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Find your local CMA chapter. They'd love to have an additional rider on their runs. The first Saturday in May, is our annual Run for the Son ride. It happens world wide on that day. May 5th this year. Here's a list of chapters in Illinois: http://cmausa.org/find_chapter/default.asp?regionID=0&stateURL=IL&chapterURL=

Ghost Rider 2 is a long time member on here, I got to meet him a couple years back, his wife and him are top notch in my book. He's in the Peoria or Bloomington chapter (sorry GR2 cant remember :) )

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Wow...thanks for all the information, I will try to put it to use;and some of you I have contacted already and to the rest I greatly appreciate you taking the time to inform me of your club or upcoming ride/run. I will try and do some of the rides that you have suggested over this riding season. Thanks Phil

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Phil,

I'm heading to Moonshine on April 13th if you (or anybody else) would like to ride along. Shoot me a PM to make arrangements.

The other Phill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.