Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Rides

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  midwing 
#1 ·
imported post

Question for you that ride or lead a loosely formed group of folks, i.e. friends or co-workers.

I lead a band of merry folks, generally4 to 8 bikes. A few of them and often those riding second and third have trouble keeping up with the pace. This is often because they are looking around and not paying attention to the road or group. I try to ride at least the speed limit or a couple miles over it to keep people from running over us from the rear.

Does anyone have a diplomatic way to bring attention to the problems we are experiencing with out stepping on toes. One of the couples is in my Sunday school class and I work with another one of them.

Any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
imported post

:XI thought Ricky and I did a dang good job keeping up with you when we went to Phenix City:p:p:p

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Well I did any way!:cooldevil::cooldevil:

#4 ·
imported post

Hey Bashful........There is a fellow wanting to go to the Rally.......he wants to camp, I told him not to worry there was plenty of room at your room:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Group riding does take a special kind of attention and skill. Most of us who have rode in a group a lot I suppose we just adjust......and do not seem to get out of place.

I would simply have a simple well meaning heart to heart talk with them. When you are leading a group the main concern is among all the other things you have to think about is the safety of everyone involved. So I think just a simple honest talk is the way to go.

It is a problem sometimes when folks are inexperienced or just inattentive. You want them to stay closed up somewhat.....so you can move through traffic and lights without a lot of separation and catchup.

I generally never exceed the speed limit....even with a small group, those in the back do at times have to exceed the speed limit to stay up with the group.

If at a 4 way stop.....two at a time is all that can really go......I just find a good spot up ahead and pull over and wait........we all work together on that......and merge back into the group......as at a stoplight......if half the group passes ....the light changes.....I pull over.....wait for them.

Everyone knows the route......that way if some idiot in a car splits the group in heavy traffic.....I try to watch for that too and slow down.......but if they do get separated....they can gradually catch up....no need for heroics and risky passing and high speeds.

I take a break about every hour and a half.....simply keeps everyone more alert.....get a cold drink....all that kind of thing.

Seems no matter what the speed limit.......or even if you go over the speed limit....those idiot in the cars always want to run 80 mph. It is a real pain in the butt on those scenic two lane roads....which is why we ride to begin with......again...watching for gravel or sand or hazards.......I find a place and pull over.

Not all riders have a CB.......but do find that the most valuable tool in a group ride.

Well let me shut up.......just talk to them.....honestly.......If I am acting like an dummy, I would want someone to come talk to me......I will not get mad or act stupid.....I want the group to be safe......so I would want someone to say now look stupid....but do not call them stupid.....okay for me........not for them..........:cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit

#5 ·
imported post

I generally don't ride with a group, (only because there is no one to ride with) the one time that I tried, I too, had a hard time judging my pace. It does take practice and not just attentiveness so I would suggest talking to your less experienced members. They may not realize how they affect the riders behind them.

Just my 2 cents.:waving:

#7 ·
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Hey Bashful........There is a fellow wanting to go to the Rally.......he wants to camp, I told him not to worry there was plenty of room at your room:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Group riding does take a special kind of attention and skill. Most of us who have rode in a group a lot I suppose we just adjust......and do not seem to get out of place.

I would simply have a simple well meaning heart to heart talk with them. When you are leading a group the main concern is among all the other things you have to think about is the safety of everyone involved. So I think just a simple honest talk is the way to go.

It is a problem sometimes when folks are inexperienced or just inattentive. You want them to stay closed up somewhat.....so you can move through traffic and lights without a lot of separation and catchup.

I generally never exceed the speed limit....even with a small group, those in the back do at times have to exceed the speed limit to stay up with the group.

If at a 4 way stop.....two at a time is all that can really go......I just find a good spot up ahead and pull over and wait........we all work together on that......and merge back into the group......as at a stoplight......if half the group passes ....the light changes.....I pull over.....wait for them.

Everyone knows the route......that way if some idiot in a car splits the group in heavy traffic.....I try to watch for that too and slow down.......but if they do get separated....they can gradually catch up....no need for heroics and risky passing and high speeds.

I take a break about every hour and a half.....simply keeps everyone more alert.....get a cold drink....all that kind of thing.

Seems no matter what the speed limit.......or even if you go over the speed limit....those idiot in the cars always want to run 80 mph. It is a real pain in the butt on those scenic two lane roads....which is why we ride to begin with......again...watching for gravel or sand or hazards.......I find a place and pull over.

Not all riders have a CB.......but do find that the most valuable tool in a group ride.

Well let me shut up.......just talk to them.....honestly.......If I am acting like an dummy, I would want someone to come talk to me......I will not get mad or act stupid.....I want the group to be safe......so I would want someone to say now look stupid....but do not call them stupid.....okay for me........not for them..........:cheeky1::cheeky1: Kit
Sounds like good advice Kit

Tim :bat:

#8 ·
imported post

The best way I have found is ..at the start of the ride, group everybody together and tell them if a rider in front is causing a gap in the group by going too slow then PASS him ..I take out many many groups ,sometimes up to 50 bikes at a time and as Silverfox and motorcyclepete can tell you ,I take no prisoners when it come to people disrupting the group ,I know they do not do it intensionally ,but it can be frustrating for the lead rider and for the people behind ,So JUST PASS and they will soon learn to keep up with the group or do their own thing ,,They can cause an accident ,Ciaran

#10 ·
imported post

Yep.......pass them.......two weekends ago we had a ride with 37 riders. This one fellow about a third of the way back on a trike.....would poke along......soon there would be three or four cars riding in the group........I got so aggravated at him. Finally did pass him.......saw the others take my cue and do the same. I think it was all those badges and GWRRA pins weighing him down.....come on fellows I am just acting up....I think those 50 pound vests are kinda cute on the girls.........Kit

#11 ·
imported post

Bashful wrote:
Question for you that ride or lead a loosely formed group of folks, i.e. friends or co-workers.

I lead a band of merry folks, generally4 to 8 bikes. A few of them and often those riding second and third have trouble keeping up with the pace. This is often because they are looking around and not paying attention to the road or group. I try to ride at least the speed limit or a couple miles over it to keep people from running over us from the rear.

Does anyone have a diplomatic way to bring attention to the problems we are experiencing with out stepping on toes. One of the couples is in my Sunday school class and I work with another one of them.

Any help will be appreciated.

One of the reasons I don't go on a lot of group rides is that I like to look around. The easiest way to put it to the slower bikersmight beto say that it is a motorcycle ride with specific stops, not a scenic tour. You could then elaborate on the problems of inconsistant speeds.

P.S. When announcing or discussing the ride one should mention if it will be "Spirited" or "Leisurely" so the participants know what to expect.

#13 ·
imported post

I ride with a lot of sport bikes and usually there's a pre ride meetup

A few of the group size up the riders and we sort of break into experience groups with a few experiencd leaders that like to go fast and a few experiencd riders like me that don't mind bring up the tail end

Know the trip is a good idea too so you can setup places to meet if someone gets lost. I've gone so far as to print up tank maps for my rides

#14 ·
imported post

Bashy, just let them know that you run with traffic for safety reasons and that you take plenty of breaks so you will wait for any stragglers at the next stop, which should be easily in view of the route. If they don't show in enough time, loop pack for them a ways. They could have also gotten lost which wouldn't hurt too much either now and then.

The Lead group just takes a longer break... no problem.

And I KNOW you take plenty of breaks. :cheeky1:

#15 ·
imported post

Rudy wrote:
And I KNOW you take plenty of breaks. :cheeky1:
The only time I don't is when I want the group to have to look directly into the sun while waiting for the lights to change. :cooldevil::cooldevil:

#17 ·
imported post

"Does anyone have a diplomatic way to bring attention to the problems we are experiencing with out stepping on toes."

[line]

Let them plan the next ride in detail, the designated stops, ALL hand signals [stuff happens], leader is responsible for accounting for every member. They give the Pre-Ride meeting [no deviations], etc. Formation ride, or Casual ride: just ride the course & meet at the stops [with a head count at every designated stop].

They print the detailed copies of the route, for each memberwith every designated stop + a printed hand-out of all necessary hand signals for:road debris, mechanical/personal need to stop with immediate or convenient need to stop. Leaving the group signal, etc.

Leader should know every members position within 15 minute intervals. Do check-ins with assigned individuals. If someone passes the leader on a formation ride, they have officially left the group and are on their own.

After leading their own ride, they will understand the dynamics of all the little things that mess things up and will become better group riders.

Changingleaders for different legs of the rideis a good idea & lessens the planning load. Even on formation rides, a cage will jump in....live with it, it's unavoidable.

Swap many cell phone #s in case of emergency or just getting lost. Never exceed the speed limit as the leader.

The leader(s) is responsible for every member & must use CBs, hand signals and visual contact . He must also know the route, including detours, etc.

I've lead about 20 group rides in the last 40 years [mostly up north]a coupleup to around 50 bikes [charity rides], but usually3 to5[personally, I don't like the lead]. For the large groups, I broke them into groups of 10 members with each having their own leader.

In other words, I had a group of 10 at most, and then there were 4 other leaders with their own groups. Leading a group requires too much thinking...which is why it'll fix problem riders.

#18 ·
imported post

Hi All
I am a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorcyclists (IAM), on our group rides we use the "drop-off" system.
Lead rider ALWAYS stays at the front, Back marker ALWAYS stays at the back.
Way it works is this:-when a change of direction is needed the lead rider indicates to the 2nd rider to stop at this point and signal the direction,he (the 2nd rider)waits till every one except the back marker has passed,when he see's the back marker approaching he rejoins in front of the back marker. The 3rd rider in the group now has now taken over the 2nd place.Quicker riders can if they wish work their way back through the group up to 2nd place.
Where there is a straight ahead at a junction it is not normally marked.
We find that generally this works quite well.
Hope this may be of use,it's not as complicated as it sounds!!

Regards Steve

#20 ·
imported post

My GW group usually has about 12-16 bikes. Everyone has a CB. We have a lead rider and tail gunner.

On the freeway, it's usually no problem. However, we will make space for cagers if they insist on passing, we always will make a hole for them to duck into.

When on twisties, it's another story. The lead rider and the riders that like to take them a little quicker than the rest of us ride near the front of the group. Those that want to ride them a bit slower just ride their own ride. It's not unusual that we'll split up into 2 groups. Then, the last rider in the fast group becomes their tail gunner. The first person in the slower group will become a new lead rider. It all works out and it's safe.

We all live by the saying "Ride your own ride". It's no fun having to stop to scrape someone off the pavement or a tree.

BTW: We are know to be one ofthe ridingest GWRRA group in CA. Last year, we logged over 8,000 miles. All accident free (knock on wood). Effective communications is the key.

#21 ·
imported post

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:here here

UBarW wrote:
The way I see it, "ride your own ride". Have plans on the next stop, and let people do what they want. You are out there to enjoy, so do it!

Besides, a rider with lesser skills shouldnt try to keep up with someone else...

#22 ·
imported post

Well I've I've been known a hard to keep up with... Problem is the rides I go on are on roads that I am very familar with. I feel I'm driving safe, yet I've been called a rocket rider.:baffled: I try to stay at 50 to 55 while on hwys, and 45 to 50 or sloweron county roads when in a group.

I normally ride alone...

I try to keep an eye on those behind me but I feel it's their job not to lose me!

I have a group of 15 to 20 bike that I'm riding with this weekend. Guess who's leading :waving:. Guess Who mapped the trip :waving:.

I hope they can keep up :cooldevil:.

#23 ·
imported post

Ok so I know its a little late on a Friday night but:baffled:it doesseem a bit complicated and I've assembled flat pack furniture:D

Ihad my first proper group ride ( cant say that without grinning:cheeky1: ) a few years ago and actually Ciaran was leading it .I found if you just watch your speed and distance you'd be fine.As a group spreads it means that the guy at the back has to do 70mph to catch the guy at the front doing 55mph

Or in Ciarans casebest of luck catchin him !!:cheeky1:

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.