Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just bought it with 45K miles on it. After putting 2K miles on it, something is growling in the turns. Anyone figured this one out before? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Had the same question when I got our 1500.

The tires make a lot of noise when leaned over. If you ride a lot of twisties the noise subsides some. I think a lot of staightline riding wears the center of the tire a bit more.

Might also be the fact that a Goldwing is so much quiter, and no chain noise, that you can hear more tire noise?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Most likely it is the tires.My tires on my 1800 due it when they start to wear down. Especially the rear when it starts to wear flat in the middle. You will swear it is coming from the front but it is the rear. I had 10,000 miles on my tires and replaced the rear as the front was still good and the noise went away.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the 1800 but since I put the E3 bias tire on my 1200 it sure growls and screams if I just lean on the slightest turn.
It feels rock solid in the turn so I don't get too annoyed with it.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

If your tires are cupped, like mine, you"ll sure hear a growl.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
imported post

Bet it's got bridgestones on it HUH.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Buzzing, humming or other noises like singing in curves is a solid indication of cupped tires. All bike tires cup, heavy bikes do it sooner.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I had a loose brake pad that would rub on the rotor. It made some nasty sounds too. Lil spring clip rusted out (Harley) new brakes for me & the noise is gone.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I agree with the cupped tires too.

I was worried about mine as it seemed to only make the sound in left turns.

But after playing around in parking lots I find I lean over left much more or steeply than I do to the right.

I think it's mental. Or my brain knowing that with the right foot on the brake I am still in some sort of control. Where leaning left I know in my mind I can stab my left foot down if I need too. I just feel more secure in leaning deeper left.

So the sound I was hearing was only when I leaned left.

I checked everything. Bearings, Free Play, Rubbing, Gear Oil.

The sound went away for ever when I put the new Michelin Pilots on last year.

Just my 2 cents,

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Up in the mountains on veterans day, my bike loved to growl, coming around those sharp twisty roads and drop it into third gear and crack the throttle. It loves to growl. I love this 1800, more and more, hopefully I have enough sense to meld my experience with my enthusiasm. Yep my bike loves to growl. :) Kit

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

[align=left]Just watch out your bike doesn't bite ya, Kit! :goofygrin:

--------------------------------------

I put some Dunlop E IIIs on my bike. Front tire is great, no complaints there, but the rear started to 'growl' after2k when it is leaned anywhere off centre. Kind of annoying. :(

Dusty

[/align]

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

i'm a newbie here but for my two sense worth, my 99 does the exact same thing and its for sure the tire thing grabbing more tread at the radius

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
The sound went away for ever when I put the new Michelin Pilots on last year.
Or at least a few thousand miles.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

I haven't run a tire yet that hasn't started howling in the turns after putting four or five thousand miles on them. I've run Dunlop's (the worst for howl), Bridgestone's and Metzelers, they all sing, competing with my stereo. Yesterday I had the new Avon Cobra's installed and I will see how they do. I have seen posts from guys that have had their Goldwing's torn down looking for this mysterious howling noise, only to find out it's their tires.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks to all for your input. You're right! It sure sounds like it's coming from the front tire. I'll try the file idea on the rear tire to eliminate the cups. See if that makes a difference. Will let you know how it works out.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think filing the tire would do more than waste a lot of rubber. It would be very difficult to grind down the cupping since it's going to require filing the edge of every tread groove down level, cutting the high side down to the level of the low side. That might make a good winter project because it would take all winter.

·
Premium Member
61,413 Posts
imported post

Read down the thread, you might want to try "tire grooming" and see if that helps..
I'm running Avon's in the front and Stones in the back.. I'm waiting for some noise but so far everything is quite.................

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I like to read things, and learn, but holding a file by hand, is not ever going to be an accurate way to do anything.

I can remember when just a little kid they used to have lots of problems with the truck tires on the farm I grew up on. Many times being in town and watching them put the tires on a machine and cut off part of the tread to make them not out of round .

This however was a machine, similar to a lathe, so one could get a precise result, Just common sense tells me with the rear tire spinning in third gear at an idle, and trying to hold a file up there by hand, if the tire does not catch it and throw it through you, it will just bounce up and down and follow the already existing dips and valleys.

What is that song the fellow in jaws sings? Might be you should wear your steel jewels support. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

What is so bad about a little tire noise in the turns?? I kinda like it--lets me know I can at least still hear something.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I run Metzlers front and rear and it used to concern me when I heard the growling on corners, but after giving the bike a once overto make sure all was as it should be I came to the conclusion it was the tyres so now I just ignore the noise. I supposeyou could always turn up the volume on the radio.

Regards to all,

John S.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.