Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I fixedt he tape deck and took it for a ride great. now the charging system is down. :(:(:?:X.

ahh welll old wiring. ill check the wiring , stator, and rectifier later going to go have a few drink.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

See what ya get for fixin' the tape deck!!! Pulls more power:D

Maybe you can get it going relativly easy. Does it still have the plastic plug in on the 3 yellow wires going to the stator? If so, take the plug apart and see if you have any burnt marks on it. If the plug is still there, take it out of the equasion and solder the wires together

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

the yellow wires are all soldered together. can i get to the rectifer by taking out left pocket bucket? or do i have to pull all the tupperware?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I would pull the the tupperware, may take a little time, but it gives you the working room you need.

There are some threads on testing the stator. If I can find them I will post them for you.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

yeh and the rectifer. that was the issue with my wifes vulcan 750. and that one is in the dumbest place i can think of...... on the bottom of the battery box!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

there is also a plastic plug w/3 yellow wires at rec., if yours is same as my 87, rec is under false tank toward front. good luck

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

and ill bet that plug is melted as well. i forsee a lot soldering, heat shrinking, burnt fingers, and curseing in the future.
crap...

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1: it was on mine, worse than the other. not so bad, and mine works great after repair. hope you fair as well. i did every wire one at a time, good luck

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

ok stator tests good at the first connector. what is the black box plugged into the harnes and the regulator? is that the radio noise suppressor?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

got it voltage regulator is smoked. some one put an aftermarket one in and did not use shorter bolts, so it rattled around in the mounts. not good.

anyone got a spare they can sell me and have it here by friday?
:)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

might try bikebandit or cyclemax ohio, also try posting in forsale/wanted forum:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

i just ordered one thru dennis kirk. paid for 2hd day air should have for thursday. plenty of time to instal it then

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

WOO HOOOO! Got the rectifier in and what you know the dern thing charges. my question is though the voltage does not climb much above if not lower then battery voltage at idle. is that normal?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

timkin wrote:
WOO HOOOO! Got the rectifier in and what you know the dern thing charges. my question is though the voltage does not climb much above if not lower then battery voltage at idle. is that normal?
I'm no expert but I had to have a new stator and rectifier put in my 1200 they told me that the stator would not charge the battery at idle. The guy said the battery would actually drain.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

battery was pretty low so ill charge it to full and try again tomorrow. as long as i do not turn the driving lights on it holds at about 13 then when you come up to around 2500 to 3000 it is 14 or so. so i am thinking it will be fine.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, that sounds about right, the system doesn't really start charging the battery below 3000 rpm or so. If the battery was low it would also take awhile before the voltage would want to come up since the battery would load it down.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
imported post

retested with fully charged battery and getting 15 volts at idle and fully loaded so that is a good thing.

going to get a voltage meter today to instal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.