Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To day after work on my way home i dropped the GSXR in the parking lot, i was doing about 20 Kmh and it felt like the handle bars locking up could not steer PANICKED :lash:and grabed a hand full of front brake it is a down hill and she went over so slowly tried to keep her up but could not motor still running LOL no bank angle sensors hit the kill switch and pulled her up after she was standing on her own my legs wobbly i checked the damage scratches on left mirror scratch on left fairing and left foot peg broke off (again) i picked up the peg after it was welded last saturday i bought the bike with the broken foot peg, i am so angry at my self it was all my fault i found out it was the key holder on my keys its a deck of cards that got jammed in the steering , ok rant over lesson learned . :sadguy:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well that just sucks

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Just glad to hear you were not injured.:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,196 Posts
imported post

You are not the first, I now have only the bike keys and a small plastic name tag now.

Getting stuff jammed up in the steering mechanism is a once in a life time experience most of us don't want to repeat.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you're ok and the damage was minimal.

I too have learned my lesson about things like long keychains, and shoe laces for that matter. I never put a keychain on my ignition key. (I'll probably end up loosing it someday) I also double tie, and tuck in my shoelaces before I ride. hmmm maybe I should duct tape them down too....

Doug

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

+1....... Only thing in the ignition is the key to the wing... No fob... No cards... No nuthin Glad you're ok.... Cept your pride O Course.. That too will heal..

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Tnx for the warning. Will clean up my key right away.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I have only the key that's on a small, round key-ring that I use. Somewhere in my past the same lesson was learned, somehow, and probably over and over until I do what I do now with ignition keys. It's just engrained at this point.

All of my ignition keys are this way; a single ring on each. All the keys rings go onto another key-ring to keep them together. That pile of keys goes into my shelter lids utility tray. In my pocket ain't happening; Too uncomfortable. On my belt ain't happening; Too risky to loose (learned that lesson too somewhere along the line).

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanx all jip wont make that mistake again. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

This is a reminder to me why I'm very careful about keys. I don't have a "Wad of Keys" with any vehicles. House/garage/office, etc does exist on a wad.

Vehicles all have their own fob. I make sure it's non-metallic, as I dislike hearing an annoying clank. The fob is either a leather or rubber type.

The other benefit, is that without the wad of keys, weight is reduced from ignition switches, as many are kinda sensitive and prone to malfunction after 100,000 miles of 3# of keys weighing on them.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

i am gonna have to look into this one.. thanks for a bringin it up.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In the early 60's I was tooling down the highway in my 1950 Chevy the steering bellcrank came loosefrom the front frame crossmember. When it did you could spin the steering wheel all you wanted to but it didn't do a bit of good. I managed to skid to a stop right between two big fir trees on the side of the road. No damage done other than to my shorts.

Moral of the story, it's a bitch when you can't steer your machine.:shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.