Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm in the market for a new bike. Currently riding an '81 GL1100 Std but want something that the local mechs will actually work on (I don't have the facilities for doing my own wrenching, nor do I really have the time to put into it).
The 1800 is on my list of possibilities, albeit lower than others since it's the most expensive, the heaviest and is quite a bit of overkill for my riding habits (80% solo commuting, 10% two-up day trips, 5% solo errands, 5% two-up touring).

Others on my list of possibilities are the ST1300 and the BMW R1200RT (blasphemy, I know...)

One of my main concerns is GVWR. It seems strange to me that the GW has a GVWR of 1180 lbs and a wet weight of somewhere between 895 and 928 depending on options. My wife and I total about 430 lbs with riding gear which would put us between 145 and 178 lbs over the GVWR before adding anything in the luggage!

I know why the ratings are the way they are, but this is a touring bike designed for TWO-UP riding. Does Honda really expect that all of their customers are 110-120lbs each? Does this number really mean anything in "real life"? Of the three bikes that I'm looking at, the BMW is the only one that we could ride with bags packed and not go over the GVWR but I have reservations about it due to the "bang-for-the-buck" factor.

I KNOW that there's gotta be plenty of folks out there who exceed these numbers on a frequent basis, but what I would like to know is what can I expect to see happen? Increased wear/tear? Tire failures? Voided warranty?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

If it ant broke then don't fix it, why not stick with you 1100 in my mind the most reliable wing made, there are 14 other members in your area if you need help.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

My bike is my primary commuter. My wife works 20 miles past my work location and frequently works overtime, so commuting together is out of the question. That leaves me on my Wing. It's been pretty good to me so far, with the exception of a two-week period of waiting for parts and the fact that it DESPERATELY needs a full carburetor rebuild. As I stated already, I don't have the time nor the facility for something that involved. Essentially, these old Wings are best suited for those who have the time to tinker. I don't.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You will see increased tire wear, I usually ride two up with the wife and we tow a trailer. I've gone through 5 sets of tires so far in <50,000 miles. Two of the sets were replaced because of nails/screws but they already had a few miles on them. I typically only get about 12 - 14K on the rear tire if that much.

I haven't had any other issues yet , I keep a pretty close eye on the bike. I have to assume that I will sooner or later suffer some additional wear and tear from riding the way we do.

I'm 6'4" and weigh 265, the wife is almost 6' and weighs close to 200 so you can see we are over the GVWR already, then we add in the additional gear and the trailer. While the bike seems able to handle the extra weight I think I will probably have to get the wife her own bike sooner or later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.