Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi.

over heating. my 1100 gw is overheating have replaced thermostat still running hot any

ideas?

thx gumby

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

#1 Did you fill up coolant directly into radiator or let it fill from overflow bottle? The only way is to fill up the radiator.

# 2 is your radiator finns clean? It is have to transfer heat with bugs and dirt on the finns.

#3 always check that you have enough coolant in radiator. 50/50 water and dex-cool anti-freeze. It is orange and made for aluminum radiators[low selicate]

Hey your location is not on your profile and do you have a 1200 or 1100.Helps us allot in our answers.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

I had to take off my radiator recently. If the radiator doesn't get filled all the way, the thermo fan switch won't turn on the fan and the bike will overheat.
Hey your location is not on your profile and do you have a 1200 or 1100.
He has an 1100 as indicated in the original post.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

make sure you run the bike while filling get all the air out. i use manual switch makes my life easier.

·
Ole Guy
171 Posts
imported post

GL1100, that one is old, it may be time to remove the radiator and have it rodded-out. Meaning the radiator shop removes the top, pushes a rod down through the cores to remove sediment, then reassemble it. Or buy a new radiator. This may run between $60.00 to I am guessing now, $150.00. I had my car radiator done for $65.00 in San Angelo TX, two years ago. It purging the air does not get it, it is clogged up. Sorry, Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

litfuse wrote:
#1 Did you fill up coolant directly into radiator or let it fill from overflow bottle? The only way is to fill up the radiator.

# 2 is your radiator finns clean? It is have to transfer heat with bugs and dirt on the finns.

#3 always check that you have enough coolant in radiator. 50/50 water and dex-cool anti-freeze. It is orange and made for aluminum radiators[low selicate]

Hey your location is not on your profile and do you have a 1200 or 1100.Helps us allot in our answers.
:waving:Low silicate? What you want is a silicate free antifreeze such as the Honda Type 2 coolantthat you can get from your local Honda auto dealer. It comes in gallon quantities and is prediluted ready to use. This is cheaper than buying it from your local bike shop that only sells it in quarts. Using an antifreeze with silicates will eventually damage your water pump seals.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

gumby wrote:
hi.

over heating. my 1100 gw is overheating have replaced thermostat still running hot any

ideas?

thx gumby
Lots of good info on site on this issue. You can do a search.

A few things to check ie: rad/waterpump/thermoswitch. You'll have to give some more info as to if fan comes on etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.