Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1984 GW Aspencade with a noisy hydraulic lifter. The nock is rather loud and occures at random. How can I quiet it down?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i had that happened after an oil change and highway i used 25/60 oil and without breaking it in i went to highway. it the lifter would go dry after high rpms i had to lower them and it would gradually go away... try a lighter weigh oil. try some seafoam on the oil to free it up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

LIke William says the 1200 is notorious for noisy lifters. Whatweight of oil are you using? Some of the guys have used some marvel mystery oil or sea foam to flush the engine, then do an oil and filter change.You may have a sticky hydraulic lifter.You said the noise was random. I had this on my 1984 1200 at times ,I found the noise was more common after a high speed run.

TRy doing a search , there are a couple of threads on noisy lifters.

And welcome to this great forum later john

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

To William_86
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I have to do to quiet the noise. I lower the RPM's and it eventually goes away, but the noise seems to show up after a short time. I will try what you suggest. God knows I've tried everything else.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

John:

I tried Marvel Oil without success and I'v lowered the oil weight, also without success. One of the locals here in Fort Kent, Maine suggested doing a lighter weight oil change and adding a cup of Joy detergent to help free up the stickiness. I am weary of this fix...I have never heard of such a thing...Have you?

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

jcbikedoc wrote:
John:

I tried Marvel Oil without success and I'v lowered the oil weight, also without success. One of the locals here in Fort Kent, Maine suggested doing a lighter weight oil change and adding a cup of Joy detergent to help free up the stickiness. I am weary of this fix...I have never heard of such a thing...Have you?
uhhhhh..... no.

That'd scare me sh*tless.

Well..... maybe not really. Not if I was doing it to YOUR engine. :cooldevil:

But it would scare me to do it to my own.

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

I have never heard of using Joy detergent. How does that go with wet clutches.do a search for noisy lifters.there is a photo of an oil passage orifice in the head that will plug. I don't think the supplied link works though.

It's not an exhaust leak is it? I see that some other people have come along with more ideas.

john

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

To Johnboy, Renagade, Rgbeard and William:

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. I'm interested in trying the engine flush and the side rocker shaft adjustment. Unfortunately, winter is here and there is 5 ft of snow on the ground. The GW is in storage but spring is coming and I'd like to enjoy riding noise free this year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

Stay in touch, alot of us are basement bound with the snow and cold. john

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

A good lifter quieter in autos is auto transmission fluid. Only need a small amount but I don't know how it would work with the wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

It would seem there are clutch plates in automatic transmissions, so I wouldn't worry about that.,,

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Okay, after reading the responses posted here & not seeing any posted solutions other than additives, there is generally4 major causes to this issue.

I've listed them most common to less common..

#1 - There is a piece of dirt/debris caught up in the oil feeder to the camshaft/lifter area.

#2 - the exhaust shim "Collet"is not centered properly on the exhaust side of the rocker armscausing the lifters to be starved for oil.

#3 - A less common cause is that a previous mechanic had the external oil line off the bike and installed the bolts in the wrong bolt holes. (Very unlikely if this looks to be untouched..) The 3 banjo bolts all look the same except on has a larger hole for oil feed.

#4 - A less common causeis that the camshaft is galled and causing the rocker to drag and then not return in time to remain in contact with the camshaft thus allowing the rocker arm to skip a bit which will cause the tapping.

If you go to http://community.webshots.com/user/eshopper12345:action:

you will find a photo album showing the debris caught in the one camshaft rocker arm assembly on my bike.

The second solution requires that you loosen the center bottom cam assembly bolt in order to center the "Collet" so both lower lifters get equal amount of oil. You have to have feeler gauge to do this and it can be a bit tricky getting it right.

The Cylmer's manual covers this quite well but the Honda & Haynes versions do not show how to do this..

I have an electronic copy of how to center this collet somewhere hereI can send you if you need it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.