Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After my first 200 miles on my new 1986 Interstate, I gotta say the Markland floorboard and shifter conversion is the worst thing about the bike. Right now, I feel unsafe because I can't "find" the brake pedal without looking and I actually have to look down to find the toe plate to shift down.

Does anyone have experience with a floorboard conversion that works with this bike?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I think the problems you are having are common to everyone who switches from stock pegs to floorboards. I am of the opinion that it just takes time to get used to themand once you doget used to themitjst feels naturaland you wont even think about themMy own experience was just as you describe in having to look down to shift or brake. I think that if you give yourself some time you will get used to them and not have to look or feel to find them. The boards give you more foot room and most who have them find them more comfortable, That being said there are some riders who just dont like them period and switch back to pegs. If you are a little bit aggressive in the corners you may find that the boards reduce your clearance and you might do a little scrapping.........GM

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I was always scared about scraping , thinking that I may dig into the ground enough to high side.
I noticed that the floorboards have a skid plate on the bottom and also the boards are not fixed but do flex upward enough to give you clearance. Another thing I do is compromised preformance for comfort. If I know I am heading out with a few guys for an aggressive day I pump the suspension up, when I am with the wife or just a liesure ride to work , etc. I lower the shocks for a plush ride.

Its a matter of preferance.

I would suggest you give it a good trial befor egiving them up. I hated mine but know many who cant live without them.

keep us updated

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I have the heal toe shifter setup on my 1200 and love it. Up shifting, down shifting and braking are not even thought of. Mine is not the markland product.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have the Markland boards on my 84 Interstate and the only think that I don't really care for is having to lift my foot to use the rear brake. I am getting used to it but all of my past riding experience was with pegs, it reallly feels oddd to have to lift your foot. Other than that I like having a solid surface to rest my foot on. I think I will try and adjust the brake lever a little so it is not so high and see how that works. But you need to geive them a chance, once you get used to them they are great.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I extended my rear brake pedal, by taking it to a welding shop and for $20, they made it two inches longer. Works more better. And I know the boards are mounted backwards. Came from ebay with no instructions, and after mounting them, figured they were fine the way they are.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Thats what I call custom..Good Job 4evermetric . I like the extension. this may be a good fix for thos with longer legs who have difficulties with the position.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Thats what I call custom..Good Job 4evermetric . I like the extension. this may be a good fix for thos with longer legs who have difficulties with the position.
Thanks. It is much easier to get to the rear brake. I added the floorboards after picking up a MotoGuzzi which had floorboards and a heel-toe shifter. I was not liking going back and forth from a heel-toe to a regular shifter, and it was much easier to change the Wing.

I also have a custom seat and my patented handlebar pull backs, so am pretty much set up now. I just need some free time and good weather to ride now.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

After 2000 miles with the Markham floorboards, I still have trouble using the foot controls, so...

Found a pair of used footpegs on eBay and installed them yesterday.
What a difference! Now I can reach brake and shifter pedals without looking for them and I am much more confident about driving.

Still have floorboards on the Moto Guzzi but they were designed for that use, not added on later.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Hey Marty, first the "4evermetric custom handlebar risers", now the "4evermetric custom brake pedal"....keep this up and you may have to go into business and start selling this stuff to the rest of us.
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i hate those boards on wings, unlike other bikes, the controls are too high and are hard to use, you got to lift your leg and its a pita to find neutral.

I've used v-stars, softails, shadows and the controls are accessible as if you were riding in pegs.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Yep, neutral is a bear to find. And mine is not due to a clutch needing to be bled. Already did that and lever is tight, but neutral is still a bear finding. Try paying a tollway with no passenger while in gear, I end up shutting it down. And it's not the place you wanna be if you can't get it restarted.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

IRAQI RAM wrote:
Yep, neutral is a bear to find. And mine is not due to a clutch needing to be bled. Already did that and lever is tight, but neutral is still a bear finding. Try paying a tollway with no passenger while in gear, I end up shutting it down. And it's not the place you wanna be if you can't get it restarted.:action:
I make sure to keep the toll money in exact cheange in both pockets in the case that I cannot find neutral quickly. I just do the over the head toss.

SWWOOOSh

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

HEY EDPARE. Now that you have found that pegs are mor eyour liking. Are you making those floorboards available to other members who may want them..

AHEM hint hint.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
HEY EDPARE. Now that you have found that pegs are mor eyour liking. Are you making those floorboards available to other members who may want them..

AHEM hint hint.
Ahhh... Let me live with these for a few thousand miles to make sure I don't wanna go back. I'm almost positive there is no chance I will go back but I want to try it two-up and with max camping gear for 500+ or so.

Can't imagine why you want them - Markham did a lousy job engineering them: instead of a bellcrank like with H-D and any other make, they just cast an oval fork under their heel-and-toe shifter which engages the oval OEM shifter peg. Trouble is, oval-to-oval doesn't alllow for any adjustment of the shifter peg height over the board.

Worse is the foot brake which, because the floorboard is so long, forces the driver to lift his foot 2-3 inches to engage the brake pedal.

They are not in good shape and I don't want anyone angry at me because they are expecting max comfort and instead get a device of danger if not torture!
:clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Ones mans trash...........................
Im not sure I would use them either but there may be other members interested. I took off the boards from my 1100 because I am very aggresive and I didint mind the scrapping but everyone else gets uncomfortable. I hate having a buddy in front of me do a high speed wobble because he heard a scrape.

Also the fact that i am large , a scrape gives people something to talk about.
A buddy even said to me that I am so heavy I scrape pegs going straight.
What a GUy.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
people either like floorboards or hate them.... I hated them
I love floorboards - I just don't like the Markhams.

How is it that Mother Honda didn't even put them on the SE-I?

Do you think Sochiro knew something we don't?

:?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

My project wing had floorboards on when I first got the bike. I hated them and took them off & put standard pegs back on.

I guess it depends on the way you like to ride. Having ridden a bike for over 40 yrs just like the pegs. Much safer & easier to work the controls.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the problem is in design... the floorboards on my HD are great, but the bike was desigined to have them, you have tio compromise a lot trying to fit them on a wing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.