Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

While replacing relay #3old relayfound hot & burnt including some plastic melted.
Update.
New relay in place. So far all works as supposed to. Old relay was hot to the touch. Battery was also dead. I'm charging the battery & will monitor the new relay for excessive heat. I cut the old relay open but it was destroyed in the process. The inside of the relay was smoked.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Would the dead battery point to aclosed shut#3 relay & would it also point to overheated relay? Battery was fine previous to relay failure.
Thanks for your helpould thishave beencaused by a burnt closed relay? Also, battery almost dead.
Thanks, Ron Hochhauser, Central Florida

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi ron yes the relay could have been stuck in the on position when it melted and drained the battery you need to check the connections in the relay housing are not burnt also and are tight to fit the relay pull the fuse box out and remove the back cover to check same

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

There are know issues, when too many accessories have been driven through Relay #3.

A good example are cornering lights that has been modified to running lights. Check for the corresponding threads by using the search function.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Swiss-Wing wrote:
There are know issues, when too many accessories have been driven through Relay #3.

A good example are cornering lights that has been modified to running lights. Check for the corresponding threads by using the search function.
I agree and see these types of problems often.

If you are going to have a lot of added on loads to your system, I strongly suggest you read this link...

http://goldwingtech.info/auxwiring/auxpwrwiring.html

The Honda systems were designed for Honda systems only. Fudging it only works in the long term when the added loads are very light.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Rudy,

WOW, you really have great info. This board is a super resource. Thanks to all who responded.

UPDATE:

New relay seems tight. Unfortunately some burning & melting occured. On the relay side the a part of the plastic surrounding the terminal that connects to the yellow (from rear of relay case), is gone (melted) & the yellow wire in the rear of the relay case has some discoloration at its connection. I tugged a little on the yellow wire & it seems secure, cleaned the terminals on the relay side & confirmed contact was being made on all 4 spade terminals by looking for contact marks on the terminals after an in/out of the relay. So, I put it all back together, all seems good. Guess I'll know in a short time. Thanks to all who responded.

Ron Hochhauser, Florida

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.