Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have experience using this service? It's inexpensive (I have AAA right now which is NOT inexpensive) but can this outfit be counted on?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I have AAA Premium on my cars but I've been meaning to see if it covers motorcycles as well. I guess that answers my questions. Have you ever used them for your Wing? Just wondering what kind of truck they use.:baffled:

P.S. Just called AAA and because I have the Premium plan I am already covered. YES! The premium plan will tow you for anywhere you want to go for 200 miles as i recall.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

I have AAA too. You have to add RV coverage to cover your bike. I have had them come for my other bike when I broke a clutch cable - they sent a flatbed out for me.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

I have it included in my insurance and a local fella with a special made pick up truck is on speed dial should I ever need him. Why do we need to double up?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

double post

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

If you already have the gwrra membership its only 25 bucks to get the rescue plus towing...our insurance wouldnt cover the bike for that stuff so that why we got the gwrra membership to begin with....peace of mind while traveling.....I do know though that AAA does have a coverage that will help you, but not sure which one(premium is mentioned above) it is.Another member on here used it this summer when he had a problem, took while for flatbed to get there though when one was avail from a local shop 8 miles way, AAA sent theirs from over 100 miles away...hope this helps ya....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I ditched both of those services.

Good Sam RV insurance is far better and cheaper, and will pay for repairs in a lot of cases. I specifically made sure they cover motorcycles, their answer? "That is a recreational vehicle, is it not?" Bought it for my big trip from Florida to Arizona and put it on automatic renew.

I had a very good experience with GS RV Ins just a couple of months ago. 3 flats at once, and no charge to fix them.

Unlimited towing miles also.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

AAA guarantees a show up time of 30 mins.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

CBH wrote:
jeffy1500 wrote:
Just like a pizza delivery! Do you get a free tow if they are late?:cheesygrin:
No, you get an apology letter.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I am a GWRRA member and I have the Rescue Plus package.

I've used it4 times, twice on the motorcycle and twice on one of the cars.

Never had a problem.

But they subcontract out to various tow companies, so each and every time it was a different twoing company.

The strengths and weaknesses of each were dependent on which company had a driver available.

Once the wing was towed on the back of a flat bed wrecker. Once it was towed on the back of a regular towtrucks lift arm.

Once the car was towed on the back a regular tow truck and the driver was very good and knew that it took special hook up to tow a VW New Beetle. The next time the driver didn't have the capablity of towing the New Beetle, and we spent an hour trying to get it hooked up and couldn't, so he left and they had to dispatch a different driver that had a flat bed truck.

That was the only time I had trouble, and it wasn't their fault, the driver just didn't have the experience to know that his equipment wouldn't do my car.

I remember that one of the guys that did my motorcycle said that when his company signed on to do GWRRA towing, his company trained all of them how to do motorcycles. I don't know if that came down from GWRRA, but it seems to me that somebody put 2 and 2 together and figured out that tow drivers would need to know how to handle bikes. Someone in the chain had some common sense.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

I've had the same service though the BMWMOA, and it's been great. Used it twice with the Beemer. Not yet with my wing. (fingers crossed) AAA doesn't do bikes so I've got no use for them. Either way, it's comforting and cheap piece of mind when on the road! The tow service they use know how to tow a bike, and aren't suprised when they arrive and say, "Never towed one of these, Where should I put the hook?":ROFL:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
I have it included in my insurance and a local fella with a special made pick up truck is on speed dial should I ever need him. Why do we need to double up?
Just make sure you have the coverage you THINK you have!
I am keeping my Gieco towing (for now) though I think it is a bit of a scam!

My towing is for up to 75 miles and I can choose where I want to be towed to.
Ya, Right, until you need towed then you find the scam and double talk real fast!

I broke a throttle cable. I called for my insurance towing. That up to 75 miles is ONLY to the nearest place that can do service work, in my case was some fly by night place I never heard of about 3 miles away LOL
Also, I have never found that place on my own trying to look for it!

Gal on the phone said I could get about 14 miles towing to the next nearest fly by night I never heard of heard of either. I live here! There was no REAL cycle shop with in 3 miles or 14 miles LOL
AFTER I argued awhile she said OK since I never used my towing before and I had not abused it I could be towed to my own shop, which was really closer than any known real bike shop anywhere in my area I have ever heard of!

Another option she tried to push on me was to be towed to a friends bike shop that was actually further than my shop! She said it showed to be closer on whatever they look at than my place was.
My friend may have a real bike shop, but I don't want my 1500 taken there for a simple cable I can replace on my own! Cost me $10 for the cable fix and me do the labor, friend would have charged real shop rates for all the labor, he is in business so I don't blame him for charging but why would I want my bike towed there when my place is closer and I don't have to pay shop rates on my own work!!!

I was about 20 or so miles from my house or my other leased place with shop, BUT my towing of "UP TO" 75 miles to my place of choice did not cover being towed home 20 miles!!!
ONLY covers mileage "UP TO" the nearest shop (which does not exist) which was 3 miles though she was being nice and giving me 13 miles to the next nearest shop which also DOES NOT exist! Or about 30 miles to a shop I know but my place was 20 miles!
So much for the 75 mile towing plan I have on my insurance!

Since it is cheap, only a couple bucks I'm keeping it for now. Got far more savings on that one tow than it will cost me for a couple years, but only after I argued for about an hour or more!
Had I really been out somewhere 50 miles from home I think I would have just been screwed!

AAA on my cars/trucks says up to 100 miles, if I broke down I could have the car picked up and towed a full 100 miles and just dropped on side of road if I wanted! I got my full 100 miles towing to where ever I wanted!

I think the place Gieco towing wanted to send me was called " Strip EM an Screw EM Demons of Dirt" or something like that.
Yep, sure, I trust a place like that to make fast quality repairs and have parts like throttle cable in stock for my 88 1500, ya right!

I'll use the Gieko towing for the Hookup charge and miles I get, then use AAA or something for the rest of the miles I need!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

Good Sam RV insurance is far better and cheaper, and will pay for repairs in a lot of cases. I specifically made sure they cover motorcycles, their answer? "That is a recreational vehicle, is it not?" Bought it for my big trip from Florida to Arizona and put it on automatic renew.

I had a very good experience with GS RV Ins just a couple of months ago. 3 flats at once, and no charge to fix them.

After John suggested these guys, I gave them a close look and chose the Premium package.

They will tow anything but a 'cargo trailer' although they will tow sport specific trailers, any distance to the nearest center that can work on your vehicle and handle those specific type of repairs. I decided to try them out when my SUV battery died and I needed a jump. They were as fast as GWRRA ever was and communicated better along the way.

I liked Good Sam and left GWRRA for good after that, although I have since renamed them Good Spam since they like to promote a lot of stuff I don't need in the mail and email.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

The GS's new CEO has stated that reducing all that spam mail is on his list.

For me, the spam from GS has just about dropped to zero.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:

Could you give us/me more info on the Good Sam and what they pay for for repairs?
I looked into them awhile back, I could not find anything myself on what they will actually pay for for repairs.
Since I travel allot and usually pretty broke on trips, a costly repair could wipe me out or just not be able to have the repair done at all.
Having a plan that covers some costly repairs may be good for me!

Running around this year on the 1500 for instance, a 2/4 with nails destroying a tire could have been a major problem, or if one had been hit and busted the engine case, or just if the bike had died for unknown reasons etc....
I generally have plenty of money to cover the trip, and maybe an extra $100, so if anything happens bad I am wiped out!!!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
HA HA LOL
I do not remember that when I had them a couple years ago and I had to wait longer, but they say other things also that are not true!

They also say each member on the policy is allowed 4 tows per year up to 100 miles each for the PLUS membership too.
No problem ever for the 100 miles tows, I got some to home or a friends where I could make repairs myself. That was great.

Funny though, after being with them about 8 or more years they refused to renew me because of excessive tows! Each person, 3 of us, were allowed 4 tows each per year they claim, BUT NONE OF US ever went over 3 tows in any one year! But we were canceled for excessive tows!

I would have fought them over that, false advertising! But I lost the letter they sent me! They claimed the average member has only 1 tow or less per year but we had too many and cost them over $2200 in tow bills!
HEY, AAA SAYS NOTHING ABOUT COST OF TOWS! THEY SAY YOU CAN BE TOWED 4 TIMES A YEAR PER PERSON!!!
Me, Wife, and Daughter, 5 or 6 vehicles with 3 drivers, 3 drivers is 12 tows a year they advertise we can have! We never exceeded 3 tows each in any year!

True, I would say for about 2 years I had above average tows, still below what they advertise we are allowed though!
I was being sabotaged by a bad mechanic! I learned too late, either he was just plain ignorant and bad, or he was purposely attacking my vehicles and I believe the later though I can not really prove it.

But why would a car I owned for many years just suddenly have the starter bolts come loose and chew off the teethe on flex plate a week or so after having a water pump put on?? And the car was NEVER over heated, it just had a seepage where the pump was starting to go bad. Also the pump he put on shattered later (probably excessive tight belt) , broke more than in half, destroyed the radiator and fan, and when I replaced it I found wrong bolts and loose bolts from the work he did!

Same mechanic (last time he touched anything of mine) backed off my PU truck rear brakes all the way then tried to say my master cylinder was bad!
Simple easy, any fool with a Ford truck should know, and every real mechanic should know!
The rear brakes often DO NOT self adjust as they are supposed to! Brake pedal goes near floor, red brake light come on in dash, it goes out it comes on, etc...
Rear Brakes need manual adjustment!
This fool of a mechanic adjusts my brakes all the way off!!! I pay thinking correct, pullout of shop, pedal hits floor, brake light on will not go off. WORSE than when I took it in!! I say you backed off the brakes not tighten them, FOOL says the adjusters only turns 1 way and my master cylinder must be bad causing it!!!
I drove home with almost no brakes, jacked up truck, one side after fighting I got adjuster broke loose and adjusted correct, other side I had to pull the drum and use pliers on the adjuster to brake it loose FOOL has it forced so hard backed off! So I adjust brakes correct, full pedal, no brake light on dash, I drive back to shop and tell boss man I'd like my money back and why!
His brother was not there next time I went back which was a long time later!

Rather he was just that STUPID or if he thought I was and was trying to drum up more work for repairs not needed I can not be sure, though I know everything he worked on of mine before that ended up broke somehow and many needed towed, which is why AAA said I had too many tows and refused to renew me a few years ago even though we always had LESS than the 4 tows per year per driver they SAID we could have!

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Here ya go Good Sam and they are International, I've used them up here a couple of times. All I had to do was to get the gal on the phone to readjust her Google Map to Ontario CANADA, rather than Ontario CA :?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

Bob is quite correct, they are International, and they have a lot of different plans available.

Review this page for just a small taste of what they have:
http://www.goodsamesp.com/

I bought the Premium travel package to take care of my bike and cars and truck. Only time I needed it was pulling my Avion 34' travel trailer and a tire blew out. I had a spare but no way to put it on my myself.

No charge, they sent a guy out and he said "Have a nice day" and left.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

My AAA is only $25 a year, towable up to 50 miles (added to my memberships for cars), I didn't think that was expensive, but I don't know. :?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.