Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can you believe what goes on on some of the GWRRA posts? That's why I won't join. Check the Amzoil post, for instance. Proof positive of where we're headed as a society. I went to a cpl of local meetings. Not for me. I'd rather ride than be snubbed, and put down by the (intelligent., and rich) The local leader is a really nice guy, but I don't get the same vibes from the members. Some of them are even members of the CMA. None of them could be bothered to welcome me, or call me. He'll have his hands full. He just took the position. It's like the whole of society, including churches. The gold rules. The 1800 crowd rules. I guess being rich gives one the upper hand.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Same happened with the GL1500 in some countries. The owners of older models felt left out and some Goldwing clubs were being called "GL1500 clubs." Shame to see it happening again with the GL1800. That's why I'm not fond of forums that deal with only one model of Wing and I prefer to hang around ones like this where we all mix and make opne another feel welcome. :waving:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Amen. Good points. :)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Those clubs have nothing to do with the love of motorcycling... they're more into loving their egos, and loving their possesions.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
imported post

I found the G.W.O.C.G.Bto be just the same.:(

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:shock: I will respectfully disagree. The club here in San Diego is wonderful. They have a dinner meet at different restaurants around the county every Thursday. Everyone is warm and friendly. I have also seen them welcome other new members. In fact on one dinner ride, we invited a Goldwinger from Oregon to join us. He had a blast.

I'm sorry you guys have not had the same experiences, however at the risk of sounding bad, I know that as humans, we look to be right. You might ask yourself if you went into the meeting with a point of view, and you found all the people that made your point correct. Is it possible that there were some others in the group that were just like you, ready to have fun, but you may have missed them.

I learned along time ago there are assholes all around us. There are also a lot of great people, like the ones who are on this forum. I just choose not to have the assholes in my life.

I can't say it enough. I am so grateful to all of you out there. Writing back and forth really enhances my riding and life. OK, I'm off my soapbox.

Jerry :clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey if you guys were riding a Honda 50 :crying:to these meetings how would you feel. :stumped: Im always made very welcome, :clapper: but i cant keep up with these guys. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I joined and kept up with it for a couple of years, and saw that the only benefit I was getting was to be able to post on their exclusive little BBS.

I don't own an 1800, me and my wife don't wear matching clothes with matching vests and matching pins and matching hats. The entertainment at their venues leaves a lot to be desired, for me anyways. I could go on and on, but I sure didn't fit in with that crowd at all. Like a round peg in a VERY square hole.

Raymond

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Same thing in car clubs. The one with the gold seems to always dictate what goes on. I'm jealous of Jerry. Hasn't beenthat experience at all. Now when I lived in Montana, whole different deal. That was in the 50's and 60's. There were one, maybe 2 A*****es, but for the most part, people cared about one another. I am going to try the local GWTA. They do seem like a bunch of nice people. This board is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!, for sure. :):):):):)

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Well I'm sorry to hear the troubles some are having. I do belive though that this is a universal thing and you will find it across ALL organizations.

My wife and I just joined a group a few months ago and have been warmly welcomed into the family of riders. The chapter directors and officers have gone out of their way to make us feel welcome and included in the activites. (Sometimes even cajoled into participating) And we have been having a great time.

I find that, as in other groups, we find a core group who we enjoy associating with while others have nothing in common with our ideals and therefore we have very little association with other than meetings and group rides.

As for the "elite" status that some have complained about, that has been fortunately non existent in our group. I ride a 1200 and when I found myself drooling over our chapter officer's 1800 and commented how I would love a ride like his, his only comment was "your fine". I knew exactly what he meant and his comment was reassuring.

We really have found more a "family" of friends rather than a "group" of riders.

So if you feel your group is not welcoming new members or including them in activites, then step up to the plate, extend the handof friendship to that new memberwith a big smile and let them know your really glad they came.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I once ran into some of those clubbers on the road. 3 couples as a matter of fact. All with the matching gear, GWA patches, and I believe the one with the most pins on his vest when he dies wins. The women.....bad rightoffs of the Bedford wives. The guys were going to look at a view ofMt.St.Helenes, and the clones each opened up the left saddlebag, each pulled out a can of furniture polish and a rag, and proceeded to wipe down the bikes. I commented to the guys, so all could hear, and asked them how they trained them to do that as I was thinking of sending what's her name to obedience school. What's her name starts giggling as she gives me a smack and you should have seen the darts coming out of the eyes of the Bedford wives. Me and what's her name still have a giggle overthat.

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Can you believe what goes on on some of the GWRRA posts? That's why I won't join. Check the Amzoil post, for instance.
I joined the GWRRA last July, probably won't renew. I liked a couple things about their Goldbook but the magazine didn't do much for me. I have noticed a few exchanges such as the Amsoil nastiness.A bit of the same on their post about plugging or replacing tires.As I've mentioned beforeSteve had some real insight when he established these forums on other than a Goldwing model basis. Perhaps the GWRRA felt they had to due to a large membership, but that's one of the things I like about Steve's site, we range from shoestring operations, like mine, to folks who can plunk down the bucks for the latest and best, but no one seems to be boasting about it or putting down those who can't.

:whip:Has anyone noticed that the spellchecker thinks that Goldwing is a misspelling? That needs some attention!:whip:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Maybe I'll move there, Harry. LOL Probably too hot for this ole boy :)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Can you believe what goes on on some of the GWRRA posts? That's why I won't join. Check the Amzoil post, for instance. Proof positive of where we're headed as a society. I went to a cpl of local meetings. Not for me. I'd rather ride than be snubbed, and put down by the (intelligent., and rich) The local leader is a really nice guy, but I don't get the same vibes from the members. Some of them are even members of the CMA. None of them could be bothered to welcome me, or call me. He'll have his hands full. He just took the position. It's like the whole of society, including churches. The gold rules. The 1800 crowd rules. I guess being rich gives one the upper hand.
Bob, that seems tobe a common theme running through most large groups (not just motorcycle clubs). There are exceptions to that of course. I try not to get too bent out of shape over ANY web posted disagreements as the anonymity seems to bring out the beast in some people.

I don't belong to the GWRRA as there objectivesdon't fit my lifestyle (nothing against them I just don't belong there). I do belong to the national HOG though (have for years). No local HOG affiliation at the moment though.

This last weekend I was invited to a local HOG event through a friend (usually no big deal). But due to inclement weather I showed up on my Wing not my Harley (remember Harleys don't come out in foul weather). To my amazement I was gladly accepted (well after some good hearted razzing anyhow). The HOG members accepted both me & my Wing like I always belonged.

We went on a afternoon ride & all went extremely smooth ( I was the quietest bike there though). The leader missed a turn so there was a narrow back road U-turn involved, there were about 30 or so bikes involved (not all dressers) the entire group made a 3 (or more) point turn with plenty of backing up with the feet. Wellalmost the whole group. That 1200 Wing of mine did a U-turn on that narrow road & even stayed on the blacktop doing it. After that moment there was no more jokes or even a hint of razzing. I guess what I'm getting at here is riding is riding & the groups involved are only as good or bad as the members. Don't chose a group by it's affiliation but chose by it's members integrity.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

That's why I'm interested in this other group, Twisty. Thanks for the input.Talk about rain. Did we get it today. Maybe a little better tomorrow.

Say, how do you get my, (or any) message into the reply box, with it being highlighted? Thanks much. :)

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
Say, how do you get my, (or any) message into the reply box, with it being highlighted? Thanks much. :)
Just left click on the QUOTE at the upperright on the post you want to respond to. Or copy & paste, then highlight, then click on the quote symbols at the top of the heading box.

Twisty

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Gotcha. I didn't know about the "quote" thingy. Skies are really black here. The weatherman has been fibbing again. Thanks, Twisty

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I have to interject here. I've been associated with a what could be very loosely called a group. It is centered around Honda V-4 engines. It's a mailing list to share issues, tech stuff etc. However, years ago we started to say things like "Hey, I'm going to ride the Blue ridge Parkway this week anyone want to meet up at the C.R.OT." Cross roads of time. Thats what the Deals Gap Resort used to be called.

They are not rallys, it is no club. Just a bunch of people that like a destination to ride to every now and then. I've been all over. Such as last year someone said, "Hey, Red Lodge Montana would be a good place to visit". Most of the time the socializing is done during dinner at a restaurant.

Other than that I see so reason for a "Club". I bought the bike to ride. I've always ridden. I love to Ride. Hell, at times I'll do over a thousand miles a day because I like it so much.

For instance, I went up to VencoWings to get some stuff this weekend. I asked the owners if they had the stuff I wanted in stock. They said yes, and that they were having their open house this weekend. I thought to myself, "great I just want the stuff and to then go home".

I got there and it was mobbed. I would say it took me over an hour to find the stuff I wanted because of all the people. They all had their "Club" apparel on. I noticed one thing was that most of the people there had about 30 years on me. Not that I mind but I was a bit shocked that there weren't any younger people there. (I'm 30). Not one person said anything to me. It was obvious I had a wing (I was there). It was obvious I ride, considering I had a Deals Gap T-shirt on.

The owner Jim helped me find the bearings I needed and answered a few questions. They were nice and it was worth the 80 minute ride but after I paid I didn't even bother to get the free food. Although as I was leaving someone rode up on an ST1300. Sometimes I miss my ST, other times I don't.

STeve ... off to do tires/bearings/brakes/install the rear rack/put in accessory plugs/blead the hydralic systems/set up all my touring electronics and timing belts.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Bob,

First and foremost welcome. Second, this is a very special group here. I am very sorry for your GWRRA experience, paticularly the CMA participation. You do not deserve it and as a Christain Motorcyclist's Association member, I do sincerely apologize. We are not perfect nor without sin, just have our sins paid for. And believe me some of us really needed it!! Myself most of all.

As to GWRRA, well I found all I need in this site, the CMA and the GWOCI. All three have treated me with the utmost kindness and sincere consideration. Really special.

For that reason I am going to ask you to do something. Please forgive the GWRRA Bob and please let's not bring it here. We really and truly have a very special site and I am enough of a dreamer to believe we can keep some of the more distasteful prejudices of the worLd away from here. We have no displacement, age, model, or colour biases, (Other than some strange thing about RED, but then no one is perfect!).

We ride all Wings, we love all Wings and this is the BEST GOLDWING SITE on the entire WEB!!

(Oh and BLACK Wings are the prettiest!!)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.