Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to know what you guys think. Is a GWRRA membership really worth the money.

I normally ride alone or 2 up and I don't ride for days at a time. I think riding in groups is fun but it is not something I do all the time. I also notice that the people I see in GWRRA are a lot older then me I am only 34. I have thought about joining for a while but not really sure if it is worth it for me.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Tough call, there. There is the Goldbook, folks to ride with, some do some great trips.

Go to some Chapter meetings in your area...it's free...& get to know some of the members to see if it's a fit. Most chapters have mega-experienced riders & you can learn much. We have a member, about 31 years old, who did the 49 states in 9 days, 8 hours.

Also, there is the GWTA, CMA, etc.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I'm going to join to get the WingWorld mag, and for the roadside protection/insurance. Anything else is just icing on the cake for me.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I joined several years ago for the magazine, the goldbook, and the roadside protection. I don't go to their meetings, or rides, because I usually ride alone, for several hours, don't like to stop every 20 minutes to eat donuts or Dairy Queen stuff. I had planned on checking out the local chapter, but really haven't had the time lately to do so. When I was in Texas, I did go to a couple of the local chapter get togethers, they had all ages in their chapter, but they were not as much fun to be around as a lot of the members here. I didn't see one person at the Texas chapter wearing a thong on their head, heck, Flyone wears his everwhere. Now, that's entertaining!:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I kind of feel the same as GLester about the GWRRA group in this area.
Guesting at a few meeting and a few rides that were so boring and short was frustrating

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

I am also a member of GWRRA ... but my experience was much like GLester ...

I don't care to ride in large groups ... most of the rides seemed to be going to a Chapter get together to support the other chapters' and their fund raising efforts. Personally I want to get out on the road and enjoy the bike.

The Goldbook and Magazine are a good benefit.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

It's kind of like the oil question, everyone has a different opinion of what is good.

I am a member of the local GWRRA chapter and my wife and I enjoy the activities that the chapter provides. While it is true that the ride schedule includes rides to other chapter meetings, we always have at least one ride of 150 miles or so each week during good weather.

We meet at a local honda dealer and this year they provided a free oil change for all of the chapter members. The cost of the oil change exceeded the cost of my annual membership so I guess I got my money's worth.

Most of the members at our group are 50 - 60 years old.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Last year I went to a local cycle gathering ( all types of bikes) There was a GWRRA group there.A gentleman who lives near me gave me an application to join,had his neme on as a sponsor. Time went on and I sent it in,On the card it said,,,Check one box,,pay now or bill me later. I checked bill me later,never heard a thing...dunno?????

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well you do not have to belong to any Chapter to belong to the GWRRA. Is it worth it? If you travel a bit each year it is. Many motels give a discount to anyone holding that little card. So if you not AARP material yet, just the discount you can get off being a member will recover your money.

As for the roadside assistance program that they have, you can do a whole lot better. I forget what mine says, but you have to be like 30 miles? from home or a Honda Dealer to gain any real advantage to it. If I have mechanical trouble that is too serious for a jumper wire or some type of temp rig, I can just bet I am 300 miles from no where. So that part of it is maybe debatable.

As for age, really does not matter, a lot of experience in those older fellows, most of them are not new to bikes and have years of experience.

As for being involved in the Chapter, unless you are retired it can be a pain. As most of them are older and retired, they have a lot of free time, so most of the good rides take place during the week days, if you are like me, you have to work during the week. Saturdays are generally reserved for the monthly meeting, those nonsense ticket sales and a ride to another Chapter and more nonsense ticket sales .
So I do not do a whole lot of that. I pick and choose, I go to one or two monthly meetings, take a day or two off at times and go on the better rides, go to the workshops and the safety fairs. Participate in the charity rides, all that kind of thing.

You can pick and choose.

I do not own a vest and 29 pounds of pins either. :D:DI have told a couple of them that is the reason their bike wanders to the right all the time, told them to put all those pins on the left side of their vest.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

i joined up a while back. After the year's subscription ran out, I just let it drop.

My one and only meeting with any of them was at a Denny's restaurant where I saw a bunch of them. They were headed over to another restaurant a whole 3 miles from the starting point.

I've tried their forum several times, and I just cannot handle the software. It is painful.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

For me yes and no.

YES:

Towing for all cars and vehicles (a little extra)
Goldbook
Magazine

NO:

Cheesy short rides, some unsafe
Badges and pins
Decorated vests
Money sucking meetings and causes.
Meetings seem like a desperate attempt to find a purpose and reason to ride.
I don't like huggy feel good square dances.
Few wrenchers about
1800 elitism attitudes and cliques.
Too many rules, order and procedure.
One of the worst chat boards on the web.

Some love many of the NO's. I don't.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I agree with Kit. Pick and choose what you wish to attend if you belong to a chapter. I do just that and feel no presuure to do any more. I enjoy the Wing World magazine as well.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Former member here, too. I don't like group rides, and the mag and roadside protection aren't worth the cost. I've got better ins. with my cycle ins. Covers everything.

y .02 worth.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Hmmm....I would like to steal the line about " any club that would have me asa member, I wouldn't want to be a part of"...but I'll just leave that one alone, irregardless of how true it might be.. I'm just not so much into the matching jackets and helmets thing...I don't have a vest, so I don't have any patches.. I don't have a teddy bear..my old lady won't ride with me...and I'm almost most old enough to not really give a rat's ass about someone else's opinion of me..so maybe I don't fit the GWRRA profile.. But to each his own..

and one more thing.....

Have A Nice Day!!!!!

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I have been a member the past 11 years and I joined for the magazine only. I was in Barnes and Noble one day and they had a copy of Wing World on the shelf and I bought it. I enjoyed the articles about trips some members wrote about. I went back the next month and they had a copy for that month and I bought it. That was the last time they had it there so I looked at the subscription notice in the magazine and found out that the mag. alone was more money than joining and the mag. came with the membership so I joined and have kept it up to date . The goldbook is a good thing too.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I joined for the Wing World Magazine. Enjoy reading it and figuring out if there are new and exciting add-ons that would work for me.

I've been to 1 meeting of our local group. Really can't form an opinion about it yet. Some of the guys were on a ride around Canada when I went. I'll attend a couple more before I decide.

The gold book is a good thing. But we have the same thing on the this forum.

for me, it is worth the investment to be a member

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Reitzclean wrote:
I joined for the Wing World Magazine. Enjoy reading it and figuring out if there are new and exciting add-ons that would work for me.
I joined for the mag for the same reasons Reitzclean stated above, and carry the Goldbook with me. It's expensive for just the mag, but being new to Wings it is a nice resource and a good read. I have found some very good vendors from the mag and the tech articles are great.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I like the magazine and the Gold Book, don't see much else compelling, but I enjoy the local chapter where I live.

True, I can't go on many of the rides--Every Wednesday supper and rides, 'cause I'm a pastor, and they like for me to be there for Bible Study;--some other rides, 'cause I'm on another ride with friends. All in all, they DO like to ride and eat, but with this group, you'd BETTER be ready to ride, 'cause they just MIGHT decide to ride to New Orleans to eat Crawfish Etouffe, and then ride home. If I need advice OR help, the phone is all that's required to get it.

As far as being the Dairy Queen crowd, they DO ride to eat, but several of them (including yours truly) have done Iron Butt rides, and a couple of them have ridden to Alaska and........well, you get the idea. For me, the local chapter made the decision for me.

Just MHO.

·
Premium Member
62,948 Posts
imported post

I did two guest rides with the group and that was enough for me.. Too much confusion..
Didn't like some of the riders, ride habits, a little scary for me............

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.