Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been around, but new to me.

You really need to eyeball this site if you have not done so already.

Really Cool.
N

http://litmotors.com/lit-news/

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Thanks, I've seen that before. All very vague, lots promises and claims. Plenty of video clips but only a couple of seconds of the product rolling slowly in a car park, and a couple of seconds of it on a street in this clip:

What we need to see is the thing being tested in real world settings, making turns and manouvering. That bit near the end with the camera inside, well it could have been inside any vehicle.

·
Graphics Guru
1,311 Posts
that part near the end doesnt look real., i think they used a cg model and animated it across an environment scene of the street. the way they give just a single second of a glimpse of the bike flashing across the screen makes it hard to be sure,, but there are still some signs of cg work in that one secon. . i think Earl might be able to decide for sure,, i will PM him now..

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
Good catch Dylan. Yes I am 99% certain they added a CG model to a backplate of the street.
A one second clip isn't a lot to go on, but there are clues. The shadow under the bike is too soft compared to the other harsher shadows in the scene, and it suggests that more than one light was used. That's a common mistake, picking the wrong environment with too many lights when all they needed was a single light for the sun.

No transparency in the windows either, they are way too dark for a washed out sunlit scene when all the other parts of the clip show the windows as only lightly tinted. Either they got the transparency map wrong at render time, or left it out to save time by not having to model and add the driver.

Maybe the Gyro Bike is all they claim but not yet ready for road use, and they need to get their presentation done to attract investors. If so, they should make it clear that part of their video is simulated.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
That's fine for you lads who can spot the CG part of the video. I think it's sharp practice for the company to make it look like their product is road ready and zipping along the streets. They should make it known that part is simulated.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian
Thx for the update.

Thank you also for your service too.
N

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
Thanks Brian. That makes sense, they are still trying to raise funds and don't have a proper road ready product yet. Next summer, maybe.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,330 Posts
The thing shows a major engineering flaw. To put a steering wheel on a single track vehicle is just plain wrong. I don't see them ever figuring out a fix for the counter-intuitivity of it.
Reminds me of Joan Claybrook's rear-steer motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Like Dennis, I'm sceptical about the whole idea. A two-wheeled gyro bike has some pretty basic but big engineering principles to some to terms with, like steering. How can they safely steer it when the gyro is designed to keep it upright? The lack of a decent video showing the bike in motion and going around corners is a sign they haven't cracked that problem yet.
Good for wingnut junior and Earl for exposing the faked part of the video.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bet EPA might have something to say if marketed here.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I think I'd put this one in the same category as the Moller Sky Car. Lots of hoopla, plenty claims but not much lollipop on the stick.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
Bet EPA might have something to say if marketed here.
How come Ned? Surely if the thing conforms to your vehicle safety, emissions and other relevant laws, it would get the green light? Having said that and reading the posts about the faked ride in the video, I'm not convinced we will see this gyro bike any time soon.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, right you are, a little for GOV and most anything can get done.
We just proved it!!

N

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I have to say I'm pissed that they tried to pull a stunt and fool the public into believing the gyro bike is road ready. There must be some regulations against that.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
that part near the end doesnt look real., i think they used a cg model and animated it across an environment scene of the street. the way they give just a single second of a glimpse of the bike flashing across the screen makes it hard to be sure,, but there are still some signs of cg work in that one secon. . i think Earl might be able to decide for sure,, i will PM him now..

Hey guys, can someone define "CG Model" for me? no habla la computer-ese.

Chief

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Computer Graphics finagaling.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
How much would the silly 2 wheel car cost? Plus it doesn't look like you even carry a passenger either. Coffin for 1 anybody!:wtf:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.