Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good morning, All.

I've seen a few posts here about exchanging the 55 watt bulbs in fog/driving lights for 35 watt bulbs. Now that I've got a voltmeter installed on my85 Aspy, it's pretty obvious how much the 55 watters pull down the charging system.I'm having trouble finding a source for the 35 watt bulbs. The ones I've found on the web all seem to be rated at 24 volts. Does anyone know where I can find 12 volt bulbs?

Looking forward to hearing from all the Wing Wizards. This forum RULES!!!!

Thanks,

TDS

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the info, guys. Does anyone have experience with the PIAA bulbs? Is the light output increase over a standard H3 bulb significant enough to justify the additional cost? It would have to be a striking difference to justify spending over $40 versus about $6.

Opinions, anyone?

TDS :D

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

tdsnuggs wrote:
Thanks for the info, guys. Does anyone have experience with the PIAA bulbs? Is the light output increase over a standard H3 bulb significant enough to justify the additional cost? It would have to be a striking difference to justify spending over $40 versus about $6.

Opinions, anyone?

TDS :D
I certainly don't think its worth it. For $40 it better have the light output of the Sun!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Ihave a set of these bulbs. They are reported to be equal to 80 watt bulbs in output.

When I installed them I put one bulb in one fog light and left the 55 watt in the other and then did an eyeball test.

The PIAA was noticeably brighter both looking directly at it and when looking at the light when it hit the garage wall with the garage door closed and the ceiling lights turned off.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

W3JNP wrote:
Ihave a set of these bulbs. They are reported to be equal to 80 watt bulbs in output.

When I installed them I put one bulb in one fog light and left the 55 watt in the other and then did an eyeball test.

The PIAA was noticeably brighter both looking directly at it and when looking at the light when it hit the garage wall with the garage door closed and the ceiling lights turned off.
John, does your alternator keep up with the load when you're driving around town? With 55-watt bulbs installed in mine the battery wouldn't charge while driving around town. That's why I wentwith LED's for my fog lights.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

I ride an 86 Interstate.

With the 55 watt bulbs the volt meter indicated below 12 volts when stopped at a traffic light, engine at idleand with the brake light on. After pulling out it took a mile or two for the voltage to recover to the 14volt range.

With the 35 watt bulbs on, engine at idleand the brake light, on at a traffic light, voltage drops to just a tad under 12 and recovers to the 14 volt readings in about .2 mile.

I do short city rides to and from work daily and have not experienced any dead battery problems - just put the 35 watt bulbs in two weeks ago.

I've checked my volt meter against my Fluke at both the battery and accessory terminal and the readings on both meters match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.