Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took a trip with Wayne (wgj46) and Rick (Tricky) to Ohio to Sierra Electronics yesterday. Rick and Wayne were dropping off their CB's to get repaired and I was picking up the J&M CB for my 1500. We left at 4 a.m. and headed for Windsor to cross into Detroit. Rick decided to change jackets at his house just before we left. Unknown to the rest of us (and also unknown to Rick at the time) his passport was in the jacket which he left at home. When we got to the border Rick remembered he left his passport at home and only had his drivers license which does not prove citizenship. Well we spent about 10 minutes at the booth because someone with a British accent tried to convince the customs guy that he was a Canadian citizen. It sort of went like this. Customs: Citizenship? Rick: Canadian. Customs: Where were you born? Rick: Liverpool, England. It sorta went downhill from there. We then spent about 45 minutes talking to the Homeland Security guys about Rick. They finally let us in and we were on our way. Wayne and I did warn him that if we had any problems on the way back back we were leaving him to fend for himself. On a good note though, when I declared the CB and antenna at Canadian Customs on the way home ($635.00) , the guy just let us go with no duty or tax.:cool:

Note for Silverfox: They never made me take my shoes off.:D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
I took a trip with Wayne (wgj46) and Rick (Tricky) to Ohio to Sierra Electronics yesterday. Rick and Wayne were dropping off their CB's to get repaired and I was picking up the J&M CB for my 1500. We left at 4 a.m. and headed for Windsor to cross into Detroit. Rick decided to change jackets at his house just before we left. Unknown to the rest of us (and also unknown to Rick at the time) his passport was in the jacket which he left at home. When we got to the border Rick remembered he left his passport at home and only had his drivers license which does not prove citizenship. Well we spent about 10 minutes at the booth because someone with a British accent tried to convince the customs guy that he was a Canadian citizen. It sort of went like this. Customs: Citizenship? Rick: Canadian. Customs: Where were you born? Rick: Liverpool, England. It sorta went downhill from there. We then spent about 45 minutes talking to the Homeland Security guys about Rick. They finally let us in and we were on our way. Wayne and I did warn him that if we had any problems on the way back back we were leaving him to fend for himself. On a good note though, when I declared the CB and antenna at Canadian Customs on the way home ($635.00) , the guy just let us go with no duty or tax.:cool:

You lucky bu**er!!! Mind you, if they had known what my feet would smell like after a 9 hour flight, they might have thought twice about demanding mine be removed.... twice!!!!!:X

I am very surprised that they let that ex Scouser in!!!! More surprising perhaps that they let him back in again later!!!!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

We've got to keep an eye on you Canadians. We never know just what priceless treasure you're taking from South of the Border back up into the cold country! :baffled:

Hmm, Have to take your shoes off,,,,,,

I guess that means the missus better not play with the toe nailpolish...:cheeky1::blushing:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

What's a "scouser?"

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

cousin jack, i had to look in wikopedia to find out what a scouser was. a scouser is someone who comes from the capital of ireland---- Liverpool. doesn't make sense. in calhoun i ask wexman to guess where my dad tricky was from by listening to tricky's accent. finally DAD said the capital of ireland, wexman's reply was Liverpool.Must be some type of humour from over there. john

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
on the way home ($635.00) , the guy just let us go with no duty or tax.:cool:

I had a $2.68 can of black ABS cement hidden under YOUR seat just as well you were'nt searched.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
What's a "scouser?"
A Liverpudlian! The name originated from a scouse or type of stew.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A "Scouser" is indeed the nickname given to someone from Liverpool, and the inference that Liverpool is the Capital of Ireland is a gain a light hearted joke. Because there are so many Irish in Liverpool, or is it Liverpudlians in Ireland.... I forget!!!:doh:

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

be happy they never made you take your shoes off.
Every time I fly, I always use my military id - every time I am still pulled to the side and searched , having to take my shoes off. I don;t bend and have a hard time putting them on if they are not slip on - so of course I always get pissed off , which then makes them search me all the more, going thru everything I own.
I guess there are a lot of disabled vets out there who are terrorists ready to attack the country,,,,
4 more days of madness , then maybe we can return to some sanity(and the Constitution)

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The guys in the booths are the new guys and try to do everything by the 'bureautic book'...they usually get over-ruled by their trainer.

When i lived in Detroit, i used to go to canada often & was only asked 2-3 lame questions before being waved through. Of course, the world has changed a bit since then.

I wonder how many 'terrorists' they catch at the 'booth' ?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Cousin Jack wrote:
What's a "scouser?"
A Liverpudlian! The name originated from a scouse or type of stew.
we used to eat that when we were kids, my dad made it, and had black toast with it, theold man wasnt a very good cook, we still eat stew but not the way he made it

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I recall trying to pass up north about 15 years ago (when passports were not required). my two kids in the sidecar.

do you have any guns?
no.
same question repeated 100 diffferent ways

children get out of sidecar
Q: whose children are they?
A: mine
Q: do you have a note from their mother (who was not on the trip)
A: they are my children

yes but do you have a note?

I am their father

do you have a note given you permission?

why would I need a note, they are my children
you can see where it went from there

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
imported post

Lived in Windsor for almost 10 years, imagine the difficulty I had trying to get across into Detroit with a Canadian Drivers License, a British Passport, an Italian name and an Irish accent!!!!

YOU GUYS HAD IT EASY!!!!!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Donna ( Trouble ) and I went across the border in Windsor/ Detroit only to find she left all her documentation at home. She said she would take a bus home so I could continue on to M.I.S. Speedway. Pissed off at her i said be nice to the border guy and lets see what happens. After searching the truck and house trailer and a stern lecture we were aloud to cross. He did want us to knowthat Canada was another country and not part of USA. I wanted to tell him that I knew that before he was born but I probably would have been turning around and heading back home.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
I recall trying to pass up north about 15 years ago (when passports were not required). my two kids in the sidecar.

do you have any guns?
no.

I am their father

As I am not a parent, I can't know how you feel but as I am contract to work with Immagration, I can tell you this. We get an awful lot of Men & Women that try to come into Canada to get away from thier spouse. How would you feel if you & your wife were divrced (badly) and she was not stopped @ the border with your kids that you have custody of and she has them for visitation? There is a lot of areas of CBSA & USBS that I don't agree with but that is not one of them. It is better to have a note, than be accused of kidnapping.:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

do you have any guns?
no.

I am their father

As I am not a parent, I can't know how you feel but as I am contract to work with Immagration, I can tell you this. We get an awful lot of Men & Women that try to come into Canada to get away from thier spouse. How would you feel if you & your wife were divrced (badly) and she was not stopped @ the border with your kids that you have custody of and she has them for visitation? There is a lot of areas of CBSA & USBS that I don't agree with but that is not one of them. It is better to have a note, than be accused of kidnapping.:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:
I wish they had done this to my ex-wife, who decided to take herself, our then 2 year old son, and whatever she could pack in two suitcases to her parents' house in England while I was away on business, to go marry her ex-boyfriend with whom she had been having an online affair. I came home to an empty house. The customs officer never asked any such questions of her.

As a result, I get to see my (now 8 year old) son once or twice a year, when I can afford to fly to England for a week.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
fysty-1 wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

do you have any guns?
no.

I am their father

I wish they had done this to my ex-wife, who decided to take herself, our then 2 year old son, and whatever she could pack in two suitcases to her parents' house in England while I was away on business, to go marry her ex-boyfriend with whom she had been having an online affair. I came home to an empty house. The customs officer never asked any such questions of her.

As a result, I get to see my (now 8 year old) son once or twice a year, when I can afford to fly to England for a week.
That is just not right. Could you not fight that for her leaving the country with you child?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
That is just not right. Could you not fight that for her leaving the country with you child?:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
It's possible...but not without a fair bit of financial/legal resources, neither of which I had at my disposal at the time. Problem is, it would all have had to have been done in England. And it's all far too late to do now.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
What use would a note be Angela? The parent running away with the children couldforgea note and hand it to Customs and they would have no way of knowing if it was a forgery or not. It seems that the onlypurpose ofa note would be red tape, ieto keep Customsin the clearif a parent really was abducting his or her own kids out of the country.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.