Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Riding home my GL-1200 from a customer, and as ya know, the horses always go a little faster when they're going home to the barn. I'm no different.

I was moving along at a good clip on the Interstate, with the balls of my feet on the footpegs and I felt a "POP" and pressure inside my left ankle.

The battery-cover had unseated from it's rubber grommets and was ready to take off to the highway, and inevitably, under someone's tire.

I reached down with my left hand, grabbed it, and got it up to the semi-protected area of somewhat calm air that exists in the vicinity around my chest.

Being as my storage space on the bike was taken, I took the next exit off the Interstate and re-affixed it to it's position, and continued on, 5mph less speed, and with my left foot even a little further back, and "guarding" the piece.

I made it the remaining 30 miles home with no further scare. The piece was taken off when I got home, and it's sitting in my office. The GL-1200 LHS battery covers are getting rare and pricey. It also often takes time to find the exact colour.

I had put Rudy's keepers on the side panels on my 85 LTD, but alas, it's sold and sitting in Canada now. An investment in Rudy's keepers is happening this week. I'm also renewing the rubber grommets with new ones. I can't say I've not been warned.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Don't know why I've been tempting fate as well on my 1500 every time get in a cross wind heels come in tight on side covers. Just got the wife a 1200 missing both covers Right side easy to find why is left side so muchharder to get a hold of and seems to be missing?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Zip ties work just fine with mine.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

desert wings wrote:
Just got the wife a 1200 missing both covers Right side easy to find why is left side so muchharder to get a hold of and seems to be missing?
Because in general, the left (battery side) one is removed more often than the right, so the grommets wear out faster so that side gets lost more often so the used ones become more rare and more costly. They are not making new OEM panels for the 1200 so all that is available is used ones. It sucks but it's the law of supply and demand.

It's just the opposite on the 1500's btw, because the battery on the 1500 is on the right side, so those are the more expensive panels.

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Hummmmmmm ....... I think I like the 75 GL1000 style the best. they don't fall off. If you remember to latch them correctly
And you can still get new lock pins too.!shiny and new.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I use a strip of clear packing tape over a couple seams on those covers. It doesn't show at all, and it holds things down for months. I started doing this when I'm gonna take a trip on the highway. Never had a lost cover, and no one has ever seen the tape. A good cheepie way to not worry till Rudy's tie downs come! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Zip ties looped through the cover and the frame, loose enough to gain access, but tight enough to prevent dropping to the pipes/road.

Cables on the side box lids and fishing line on the speaker covers.

Now make leashes for everything else that might come off the bike too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.