Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I havecoworker here that is a motorcycle owner, not a rider. He's ridden his bike to work maybe 6 times since June, and not when it was below 70 degrees. Yesterday I was heading out about the same time he was. I had on my Tourmaster Saber series jacket and my Tourmaster Venture Air pants. It was about 60 degrees, warm for this time of year. He says, you're wearing too much gear for this weather, as he walked over to his cage. :cheeky1::cheeky1: Maybe you had to be there, but I found it funny.

John

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

You painted the picture well John.

And yes..............it's funny (to me anyway). :)

My wife always used to underdress for our rides despite my warning her that she'd be cold.

Now, 4 years and thousands of miles later.........she's learned that it's easier to remove the layers than to add layers that aren't with you on the ride. :baffled:

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

wrongway wrote:
Now, 4 years and thousands of miles later.........she's learned that it's easier to remove the layers than to add layers that aren't with you on the ride. :baffled:
Boy you got that right. Getting warmed up after getting chilled is not easy on a bike either.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Friend Don showed up at my joint this morn at 8:00 sharp, at 40 degrees, and we rode to breakfast and we really enjoyed it. Cagers were making comments about how chilly it was. Can't hardly find anyone that wants to ride if it's below 67! Bunch of whooses.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

A co-worker of mine whom also rides said yesterday. "Lets see if you ride tomorrow?" Forcast was to be upper 30's. Yup I rode. Olympia Airglide jacket and matching overpants. My reply was well, its still 10 degrees warmer than the coldest day I rode to work last year!!! I will not say what he rides. He is a bit short on riding gear for cold(er) weather and his commute is freeways most of the way, while mine isnt.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

wrongway wrote:
You painted the picture well John.

And yes..............it's funny (to me anyway). :)

My wife always used to underdress for our rides despite my warning her that she'd be cold.

I learned a cold weather lesson the hard way... Here in Houston it rarely gets to freezing let alone below. I went for a short ride to the country to help my cousin fix his truck. I did not see the weather because of long hours at work and this being my first day off in 4 months. It was 74 F when I left that afternoon. A cold front blasted through and the temp dropped to 31 f. although I carried a jacket on the bike it was not near warm enough for that 65 mile trip on the highway.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I ride anytime it is not raining, excessively foggy or icy/snowy. I rode to work last year when it was 28 deg. and will again this year. Of course I have a short commute, but it really doesn't bother me if it is a long one.

Hey Bob...we gotta ride. Betty was mentioning yesterday that we need to get together with Bob and Pat again. Are you meeting Thursday night at Sonic?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

We should be there, Tom, weather permitting. Great turnout last week. We missed ya. See ya there. :)

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger, come on up to Canada. I PREFER to ride when it's below 67. Any warmer and the gear starts making it uncomfortable. You can always add more clothes when it's cool but when it's hot out and you're down to the skivies the internal thermostat can only get hotter and you end up spending more time at the watering holes then you do on the road. Spring and fall are the best times to ride. You can get comfortable and see far fewer cagers. Many days I ride down roads that seem to have been put there for my exclusive use. Heaven!

p.s. rode to work this morning in 15 degree F. And no plug-in clothes.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I hear ya Kaz. We did a ride this past weekend that was mostly in the high 60's, and it was one of our best rides, ever. Did about 200 miles, and still thinking about it. :)

I just hate hot!! :pumpkin: :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tdbieber wrote:
Hey Bob...we gotta ride. Betty was mentioning yesterday that we need to get together with Bob and Pat again. Are you meeting Thursday night at Sonic?
See you guys there if it isn't raining too much! You going early or still at seven Bob?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It is 30 degrees here in South Carolina this morning. Boy what a shock!! I think the North Pole has relocated or something.

It is time to winterize my bike, anyone have any tips on how to do that. :D:D

Kit

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Well, it's 15C here today. I have some wood splitting to do, and I much prefer it to be closer to freezing for that job. Years ago, I became lifelong friends with a USN pilot who was up here on an exchange posting. We were all into snowmobiling then, and he got one too. But he near froze his rear off until he learned the secret of layering the clothes. Second winter here he had a real blast and was always instigating the outings.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

got out and rode to work yesterday at 28 degrees. Cagers just looking at me like I was crazy. HAHA. I enjoyed it.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Reitzclean wrote:
got out and rode to work yesterday at 28 degrees. Cagers just looking at me like I was crazy. HAHA. I enjoyed it.
Same here, yesterday and this morning. 26 degrees in the valley this morning, with it being 32 in Little Rock at my office at 0530 am. Couple of riders here can't understand why I ride the bike when I have a truck and a car. I tell them, I enjoy the trip on the bike more than in a cage. Plus, it is more fun to shock the cage drivers.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I think the coldest it's been here so far, Kit, is about 36, so we're headed there. A day of that, makes one appreciate a good blazing fire.:cool:

A friend just got out of Maine and Vermont with a load of hardwood verneer. I guess they're snowing pretty good in areas there. He's probably about N. Dakota about now.

See ya this evening, Paul. We'll probably be there about ten till.

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
It is time to winterize my bike, anyone have any tips on how to do that. :D:D

Kit
Yeah, let it warm up for a minute longer before you take off on your first ride of the day. ;)

It was a toasty 40 degrees here this morning when I rode to work, a very pleasant ride. I thought about bypassing my office and just keep going. It sucks to be responsible. :(

John

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

If only I had a coworker here that was a motorcycle owner and warned of the temp verses clothing. Instead I have two, a guy that's never ridden yet stops by my area every day to explain in detail the latest crop of motorcycle crashes and an exec secretary that asks every day I leave (carrying my helmet) "Are you riding a motorcycle? You know how dangerous that is?". I could only wish the Dogs in heaven would send me weather type.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

i hear my neighbour down the street start up his HD almost every morning at 5:30, I think the only days he doesn't ride is when it is snowing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.