Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With a long winter just starting, I am looking at ways to install my Kenwood TM-V7a radio on my '03 GL-1800 in place of the Honda CB radio. My wing did not come with the CB. The TM-V7a has a remotely mountable head, so I think this can work out pretty well.

I would like to connect it in and have it take advantage of the OEM controls (talk & up down) as well as have it work through speakers and intercom.

I am pretty good technically, but don't want to re-invent the wheel so to speak. If any one has done this or can offer any technical support from their experience, I would really appreciate hear form you.

Thank for your time and Merry Christmas to all!

Bob
KF3BY

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Bob
I don't have that answer for you, but a Merry Christmas to you too! I'm sure others are interested too in this as well as something other than the stock setups.
My uncle is a Ham also, in the Bay area, W6MMG from WW11
God Bless
Stu

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Make a trade for a Yaesu FTM-10R which has the weather proof control head or maybe even the 5 watt version which is all weather proof. You can get the optional BU-1 module which makes it blue tooth. It also has the AM/FM public broadcast built in. You can also program your local public service frequencies like police channels so you can be aware of traffic hazards like radar traps.

With the blue tooth module you can feed the mic and ears right into your Blue tooth helmet system such as Senna. Senna has a new option that offers Ham Radio to be connected to their helmet Bluetooth system. It is about $175 so that is why I opted for the FTM-10 radio. I can still use it for other vehicles. I will simply purchase another cable from the head to the main body and just unplug the pl-259, power cable and the head cable and remove the head leaving the head cable in place.

Also will run the TS-480 with a 40 meter hamstick for some longer trips and ride along with Midcars net on 7.258. Will stick a ear bud inside the helmet the audio and use the hand mic. I do have an head set out of a helmet that was given to me and just might adapt it. Just mount the mic on the opposide of the mic there now.

Gary, WB9UDJ or Whiskey Bravo Niner U Dumb Jerk
EC-OES-VE-RNG

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Tinker rottie, tinker

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the welcome and for the info!

I have been to the sites mentioned as well as I don't want to switch radios.

In all my searching so far I don't see any one using the "talk" switch on the right handlebar for PTT and I can't see why not?

I have seen several different interface circuits and can pretty much see what I can do there.

I am looking for someone who has actually used the Honda CB interface to attach their radio. As I don't have a CB seems it this would be the cleanest way to go.

Again, thanks and I will keep reading!

~Bob

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

I have done many ham radio installs on alot of bikes at our shop. Most of the time we use a portable and same harness as we use on the HD that local PD uses.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Sle104,

I plan on using my Kenwood TM-V7a on my GL-1800.
Can you recommend a harness?

I would like to be able to use the GL's talk switch and intergrate in to the intercom system. As much as the OEM equipment as possible to keep it clean.

Any tips or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Regards and Merry Christmas!

~Bob

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Wayne wrote:
The only way that we have been able to use the GL 1800 OEM PTT is the GL-2Way, http://tinyurl.com/cpah5pa, plugged into the CB input of the audio system and then you will have PTT and volume control for the added 2 way device.
I agree with Wayne on the installs we do at our shop we use a differant PTT switch

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

I use a throat microphone with it's ptt button and ear bud
No wind noise
Works good
Good luck
John. Kb0ou

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.