Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm thinking ofMAYBE installing a 2-meter mobile rig on my GL1000. Has anyone else on this forum done it? Are there many others with 2 meters on their bikes? Any suggestions on headset/mic/PTT setups?

Thanks and 73,

Marco, W7WIK

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Where in the heck are you going to mount that big friggin antenna on your bike? Most vehicles I see with ham rigs have an antenna big enough to talk to the moon on them. About 10 lbs of antenna I would guess. Seem to me a GW with that kind of rig would make a pretty nice mobile lighting rod.;)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

GLester wrote:
Where in the heck are you going to mount that big friggin antenna on your bike? Most vehicles I see with ham rigs have an antenna big enough to talk to the moon on them. About 10 lbs of antenna I would guess. Seem to me a GW with that kind of rig would make a pretty nice mobile lighting rod.;)

A CB antenna iselectrically a lot bigger than a ham antenna on the 144MHz ham band. A short (2 meter band) VHF antenna is actually a lot more efficient than a short CB antenna (for the 11 meter band-CB). So basically I can get away with a smaller antenna and it will still be much more efficient than a CB. Also, since it's VHF, the small size of my groundplane (the bike) is more in line with what's needed. Using the bike as a groundplane for a CB is a compromise.

The ham antenna you're probably thinking about is for the HF bands. I won't be using HF on the bike.

Ham radio is more than communicating with distant stations in other countries with large antennas. It's also local communications on the VHF andUHF bands using repeaters and nodes for digital communications. And the hobby has a plethora of other activities such as using satellites, bouncing signals off the moon, digitial commumications, meteor-scatter communications, contesting, and the list goes on.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

That explains a lot to me, I've had a CB for close to 40 years, not much experience with ham, except for a friend I had 20 years ago that was into it. The only ham I'm into now is the eating kind.:grinner:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

GLester wrote:
That explains a lot to me, I've had a CB for close to 40 years, not much experience with ham, except for a friend I had 20 years ago that was into it. The only ham I'm into now is the eating kind.:grinner:

Yep, most have a CBs on their bikes because it's what everyone uses, but2 meterswill allow me touse more transmitter power, use FM instead of scratchy AM, and use repeaters that enable me to communicate to a much larger area (usually hundreds of square miles and sometimes more than a hundred miles away[depending on the repeater site]). It's even theoretically possible to communicate with the international space station since ham radio is also installed there (and most astronautshave a hamlicense)!

Keep in mind that if you want to use ham radio you have to get an FCC amateur radio license.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Hey Marco!

Glad to hear another ham out there is looking into this. I have an '85 Aspencade that has the Am/FM/Cassette w/CB and would be interested in mounting either a 2m or 2m/440 dual band. MUCH greater capabilities than the CB! I know of other hams that have done so but only second-hand. Good luck with this and let me know what you discover.

Ruaidh

KB7PCZ

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Jees what happened to just riding.....
Sure I have a CB but squelched down as far as it will go, I just need to talk to my buddies, they are usually not more than a few feet away.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

This is something I would like to try as well but am concerned that the electrical system on my 86 Interstate couldn't handle the power demands of a 70 watt 2 meter mobile on transmit. Perhaps a second battery to run the radio with?

W3JNP

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Jees what happened to just riding.....
Sure I have a CB but squelched down as far as it will go, I just need to talk to my buddies, they are usually not more than a few feet away.
I understand how you feel. And actually, when I ride I usually just have tunes playing. But with all the commuting I do on my bike and with a very active ham group here it is nice to be able to make the contacts. You may not have commuter traffic to deal with but the group here is spread out enough that they can advise of problems coming up and allow me to possibly avoid trouble or simply choose an alternate route.

Besides, the ham community here is as close and friendly as the GoldWing group is on this board. And while I don't always use the radio while I travel it does have a lot more capabilities in outlying areas than a CB and it was cool to be in Cedar City, Utah, at the far south-west corner of the state and talk to two gentlemen in a campground in Yellowstone National Park.

It's not for everybody, but neither is riding a motorcycle.

Not being mean or spiteful, just trying to stay awake after 2 hours of sleep and doubling back to work after an 18 hour day. This posting is simply my opinions; please don't think I am trying start any flame wars! I am just looking for a way to combine two of my favorite hobbies.

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

W3JNP wrote:
This is something I would like to try as well but am concerned that the electrical system on my 86 Interstate couldn't handle the power demands of a 70 watt 2 meter mobile on transmit. Perhaps a second battery to run the radio with?

W3JNP
Yeah... something I've thought about. For that reason I'll probably keep the power down to 10 watts or so... more than enough for most situations.At ten watts you're probably only drawing two or so amps while transmitting.

I'm also not very long-winded on the radio unless I'm at home ragchewing on CW (my favorite mode).

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ruaidh wrote:
Hey Marco!

Glad to hear another ham out there is looking into this. I have an '85 Aspencade that has the Am/FM/Cassette w/CB and would be interested in mounting either a 2m or 2m/440 dual band. MUCH greater capabilities than the CB! I know of other hams that have done so but only second-hand. Good luck with this and let me know what you discover.

Ruaidh

KB7PCZ
Hi Ruaidh,

Looks like I'm not alone in this. I used to live in Ogden and if I remember right, the .62 repeater was alsways very active there. I could always depend on it almost from Brigham City to way south of Provo. Pretty good coverage. It seems that there are always 50 or more repeaters in any metropolitan area, but only one or two get 90 percent of the use.

When I retired from the Air Force we moved to Oregon... great ham community here too!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
Hi Ruaidh,

Looks like I'm not alone in this. I used to live in Ogden and if I remember right, the .62 repeater was alsways very active there. I could always depend on it almost from Brigham City to way south of Provo. Pretty good coverage. It seems that there are always 50 or more repeaters in any metropolitan area, but only one or two get 90 percent of the use.

When I retired from the Air Force we moved to Oregon... great ham community here too!
Yeah, the .62 repeater is great. The .04 on Antelope Island is too. They're both busy enough that I was using the 449.875 in Kaysville for most of my local stuff. But I love that I can reach out and touch with the repeaters anywhere in the country.

Nice to know that both the ham and GoldWing communities are so friendly and helpful!

Ruaidh

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
W3JNP wrote:

W3JNP
Yeah... something I've thought about. For that reason I'll probably keep the power down to 10 watts or so... more than enough for most situations.At ten watts you're probably only drawing two or so amps while transmitting.

I'm also not very long-winded on the radio unless I'm at home ragchewing on CW (my favorite mode).
I wouldn't think the load would that severely tax the electrical system,the normal duty cycle of the transmitteris pretty low. While you're key down it will probably draw down the battery a bit, but soon as you let go it's going to be a pretty low current drain. Overall probably a lot less than using an AM/FMradio and speakers.

ex KL7EVI ex First Commercial Phone w/radar endorsement. Man I'm just a has been in so many ways. Damn FCC ruined a nice racket when they went to General licenses.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I ran a Dual Band IcomHT on my 1100 for a couple of years. Just fabricated a mount that fastened to the trunk rack in the factory antenna mounting location and screwed on my Diamond SG-7900. I had the added advantage of weather band. I used the Icom headset and set the unit to VOX. With a full face helmet it worked fine, I just velcro'd the mic pickup inside the chin gaurd beside my Intercom pickup. At highway speeds my audio was noisy but copyable.

Carl, N9MXY

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

exavid wrote:
ex KL7EVI ex First Commercial Phone w/radar endorsement. Man I'm just a has been in so many ways. Damn FCC ruined a nice racket when they went to General licenses.
I think your first class commercial license is a lifetime license. I'm sure you could trade it in for the General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL). I have a a GROL license with radar endorsement and it's good for life.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
exavid wrote:
I think your first class commercial license is a lifetime license. I'm sure you could trade it in for the General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL). I have a a GROL license with radar endorsement and it's good for life.
No, they told me that I could convert it to General but it didn't seem worth the effort. In years past I made some nice change working the docks in Ketchikan patching fishboat radars. 80% was TR tube problems. Also used to sign the logs at a couple commercial radio stations when their guy was vacationing and such. Working for the FAA I really didn't need the license but it was a handy thing to have.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

hitechluddite wrote:
I ran a Dual Band IcomHT on my 1100 for a couple of years. Just fabricated a mount that fastened to the trunk rack in the factory antenna mounting location and screwed on my Diamond SG-7900. I had the added advantage of weather band. I used the Icom headset and set the unit to VOX. With a full face helmet it worked fine, I just velcro'd the mic pickup inside the chin gaurd beside my Intercom pickup. At highway speeds my audio was noisy but copyable.

Carl, N9MXY
Thanks Carl,

The HT might be the way to go for now. With a bike-mounted antenna it should get out fine. At least it will be easier to remove, and I already have a dual-band Yaesu (FT-50). I tried it with one of those Pryme headsets with the throat mic on my last bike, but the throat mic didn't work very well so I gave it up. I think the biggest challenge will be the headset-mic.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
imported post

Hey, Marco!

Do it, I did. I use my Kenwood HT hooked to my belt and use a simple RadioShack Vox mike/earphone inside my helmet. It works great and is hands free.

73’s

dasBiker, KF6TUA

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I've carried Ham sandwiches in my wing.

Oh alright, I've had too much adult beverages.:alco::toast:

My dad used to be a Ham operator and I was always amazed at what could be done with legal equipment.

What's the code for ceasing transmission? CDQ?

Hobie1.......out

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

dasBike wrote:
Hey, Marco!

Do it, I did. I use my Kenwood HT hooked to my belt and use a simple RadioShack Vox mike/earphone inside my helmet. It works great and is hands free.

73’s

dasBiker, KF6TUA
Thanks Dan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.