Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
our Ham Radio hobby is still alive, here are some young kids who have created a very ingenious antenna system that can be put to use in almost any area that has a pole of some kind.

watch what they have done here.

made a bracket that goes around the pole, has a motor and some geared wheels to pull it to the top of the pole.

Instant antenna system.

https://qrznow.com/emergency-antenna-pla1-system-e-aps-wc2fd/

·
Registered
587 Posts
Pretty slick - Didn't see the total height of the antenna but looks like 2 meter band.

Many years ago B.G. (Before Goldwings in the stable) a buddy of mine and I went camping in the forest. He's an extra-class ham, and we took his HF rig with with us. Borrowed a small generator from work.

Had a lot of fun working the HF bands in the evenings. The antenna setup we used was laughable, but it worked. 65 feet (roughly 1/4 wave on 80 or 1/2 wave on 40 meter band) of plain old dumb wire with a rock on one end tossed way up into the tree branches. The other end attached to a short piece of coax attached to an antenna loader/tuner box and then the transceiver. For the ground on the coax a short piece of wire wrapped around a long screwdriver jammed into the dirt. Poured a little beer on the screwdriver to increase conductivity.

the 100 Watt Vacuum tube transmitter (more forgiving of high VSWR) in that rig was enough to get decent signals out of that "antenna" and we were able to work overseas stations, when our signal started to fade we'd pour a little more beer on the "ground" screwdriver! :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Hello denver just eanted to say hi im new on here and I'm also hame call AB0HT hope to get my 83 so i have a small all band rig on it i have a screwdriver ant to put on.

·
Son of Bronson
120 Posts
Wow! Smart kids! That rig is great.
I'll be sharing that video with the guys in my club.

73 de N2ELC

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep thinking I want to get back "on the air" again, but somehow, the drive to do it, just isn't there.

I need to check my license expire date, don't want that to elapse....
Extra Class was easy 50 years ago, it won't be now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Odd, it does not show when I first got my license back in 1958

Licensee ID: L00268681
License Class: Amateur Extra
FRN: 0003899804
Radio Service: HA
Issue Date: 01/10/2017
Expire Date: 03/20/2027
Date of Last Change: 01/10/2017 (License Renewed)

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
When i got my extra class 25wpm code came easy after allot of practice..then sold key and never looked back. But i can say i earned it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never Got my License but my best friend had his general class at age12. We were always changing his antenna setup. We participated in 4 ARRL field days. This experience really helped when the Palm Sunday tornadoes flattened a 1/3 of our county. The local hams relayed messages for about 2 weeks until Phone lines were back up again.
Does anyone know if they still hold the field day event? It was a lot of fun to set up remote/emergency type radios, and try to out-contact other ham clubs.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the Field Day event is an Annual thing, it has never been missed, and I doubt seriously if it ever will.

http://www.arrl.org/field-day

Field Day
is ham radio's open house. Every June, more than 40,000 hams throughout North America set up temporary transmitting stations in public places to demonstrate ham radio's science, skill and service to our communities and our nation. It combines public service, emergency preparedness, community outreach, and technical skills all in a single event. Field Day has been an annual event since 1933, and remains the most popular event in ham radio.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
That is genius!!! Congrats to those 2 youngsters... Would make a great Field Day setup and emergency too!!! Still hold my Advanced Class after many, many years... Haven't been active for years but keep my ticket updated...

WA9QYK

Les

·
Magic Moderator
4,318 Posts
When does everyone start talking on these radios? I have a Grundig World Radio and there doesn't seem to be any activity when I scan through the frequencies.

·
Administrator
57,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you have to be aware of the band conditions and the solar cycle.
I have not had my radios on since about 1988 due to my job interfering with having enough time to do it.

40 meters was my favorite back then for night time use, the SSB ( voice ) frequencies then where 7200-7300, CW ( code ) was 7000-7199

I also used the VHF band of 144-148 mHz on the repeater frequencies when I was working in New Mexico between Hobbs NM and Cortez, CO. that was around 1980-1988

Depending on the solar cycle, day-times will be "local conversations" of up to 100-200 miles, then at night it stretches out to cover the entire globe.
75-80 meters is even worse, than 40 meters for this type of conditions.

I never worked the higher bands, as they tended to be "longer ranged" and unless you were on the air all the time, it was difficult to form friendships.... Night times were great.

the solar cycle is 11 years from "peak" good conditions to peak again. In between things get really lousy on the medium frequency bands, and you have have some decent antennas ( meaning big )

I never did run "high power", stuck with the 100 watt power range most of my times, it seemed to do all that I needed to do. some guys have to be "mr big shot" and run 1000 watts with very tall and huge antennas.... they can operate right thru the day-times easily, night times, they will "walk over" the folks who have low powered radios.

you need a receiver that is sensitive, and have a narrow band width, and slow tuning.

to me, the Grundig World Radio is a poor device to try to use for active ham radio use, it is not selective enough to be able to filter out the strong stations that are adjacent to the actual frequency you want to listen on.

I need to put up my all band vertical again, and start listening around, but computers sort of took over my life and got in the way of that.

I would think that in the evenings that you would be able to hear conversations between 7200-7300 mHz and 3800-4000 mHz without too much trouble.

14,200-14,300 is subject to the the day/night cycle just like the lower frequencies, but the signals you hear will be around the globe more so that a "local guy" within 100 miles.

the higher bands are even worse and I never have operated on 20 meters and higher in the HF bands.... I have used the 2-meter ( 144-148 mHz ) band a lot, not so much the 440 mHz band, I have 2 walkie talkies for use on that band, the batteries have been dead for decades.

·
Magic Moderator
4,318 Posts
It's a nice radio and I paid $1.00 for it at the rummage sale at the nursing home, works great on the FM band. It's a Grundig Yacht Boy 204 World Receiver. It receives FM, MW, LW and SW 12 bands. Everything listed on the small chart on the back is in KHz. The radio a tenant gave me when she moved died and I got this one to replace it. On the dial face plate it goes from 13m to 120m.

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Does it have a BFO (Beat frequency Oscillator)? You will need that to understand the Ham radio transmissions because they are using Single Sideband modulation and will just sound like a garbled mess on an AM receiver without BFO.. The BFO should have a fine-tune adjustment so you can clarify the SSB transmissions to sound normal.

I have an old Radio Shack "all band" radio that tunes from 150KHz to 29999KHz continuously, digital tuning with direct frequency entry on a keypad. Has BFO, and with a good external long-wire antenna pulls Ham Radio SSB quite nicely. You won't get much with just the whip antenna though. Also tunes CB Radio band. And FM Stereo to boot... :grin3:

·
Magic Moderator
4,318 Posts
There's no other knobs or sliding switches, just what is seen in the pic and the on/off/volume slider on the side under the tuner knob. It works well and has great sound on FM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts