Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I seem to remember reading either here or in the manual to only use a hand pump to fill the front and rear shocks.

First of all, is that correct? If it is, what type do you use?

1980 GL1100i.

Thanks,

jon

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Check out Progressive Suspension's web site. I think that's what brand mine was. It's been a long time though, so...

I just usea smallelectric pump, anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Hand pump or standard aircompressorcan be used. You just need to remember that it is a small air reservoir by volume and pressure (21 front 44 rear) psi. Just takes a quick pop with the air compressor (what I use). Adjustments should be rare, there should be no leakdown. I tend to leave mine at the maximum.Some people areunable to judge what they are doing with power tools and tend to damage things. If you are one of thesepeople then I would not recommend the air compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
imported post

Yep Hand pump or what Dennis said. I omly run 8 in the front and the progressive's in the back I run between 44 and 50 depending on loan..on the 84 The stock shocks on the rear have a 54 lb max. Compressors can be tricky on the front. It only takes me two pumps on the hand pump to get mine from empty to full on the front. PM Neoracer He got his fairly cheap off the net

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

If you are not using the built in air compressor on the bike then use a standard bicycle hand pump. Using a regular garage type air compressor on these shocks it would be far to easy to over inflate them and blow the seals.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

harley dealerships have a hand pump that is very cheap and compact that will work quite good with our goldwings it also has a gauge.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the quick replies. I did put some air in using a compressor and yes it only took two very quick shots to get them up to the proper level. I will look into a cheap hand pump.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

The only issue with a compressor is that, even with a filter, water gets into the line and could then end up in your shocks which isn't an ideal situation - even in such small quantities. A standard foot pump or hand pump made for bicycles would be fine.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I use a standard bicycle hand pump for a lot of things >tires, shocks, carbs. Even made an adapter for my fuel tank a while back. $10 or less at most places.

Handles my rear S&W air shocks just fine. Packs easy for trips 'cause it's small.

Sometimes on a camping trip while everybody is doing a whole lotta talking 'bout nothing, I'll get bored and start going over my bike. People get amazed at what that little thing'll do.

Attachments

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

I picked up a bicycle pump at WalMart that had had a nice gauge built right into the end of it, pre/permanent attached hose and quick release. Stores in the bottom of one of my saddle bags and works great.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

bcassel wrote:
I picked up a bicycle pump at WalMart that had had a nice gauge built right into the end of it, pre/permanent attached hose and quick release. Stores in the bottom of one of my saddle bags and works great.
I also picked up a bicycle pump with a built in gauge, though mine was from Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire for non-canuks).
Lots to chose from, just check your local sporting goods store.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
imported post

Wal-Mart hand pump here also. I used my bosses harley one once and was going to buy one til I saw the price. Wallet-World price $16 versus $60.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

you can get a very accurate and compact pump from a good bicycle shop used to pump up front and rear bicycle suspension- very low volume, quick air release etc.flexible hose- mine says Giant bicycles on it

cheers
ducky

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.