Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I need a new set of handgrips for my 83 GL1100. The electrical tape over the old foam handgrips have worn out and become STICKY! (it has become nasty!! worse than eating sticky candy) It's time to replace them.:shock:

1. Any recommendations on what kind of handgrips to buy?

2. Does anyone have a place I can buy new handgrips without spending a ton of money?:shock:

:goofygrin:THANKS!!:goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

jkobman wrote:
I need a new set of handgrips for my 83 GL1100. The electrical tape over the old foam handgrips have worn out and become STICKY! (it has become nasty!! worse than eating sticky candy) It's time to replace them.:shock:

1. Any recommendations on what kind of handgrips to buy?

2. Does anyone have a place I can buy new handgrips without spending a ton of money?:shock:

:goofygrin:THANKS!!:goofygrin:
You can get new foam grips or leather covered ones cheaply here, I bought a set of foam ones for my 1200 from them.

http://www.wingthings-texas.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

You can get new foam grips or leather covered ones cheaply here, I bought a set of foam ones for my 1200 from them.

http://www.wingthings-texas.com/index.html
Navigate to the gl1100 things and search for DS-243200 . If your grips are this style, they have replacement foam - save you from buying (and installing) whole new grips.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

I just bought a new set of kuryakn aluminum grips with rubber inserts to replace the worn out foam originals for my 86 GL 1200.

I paid $ 53.95 from my local Honda dealer.

I've seen the same grips discussed on this forum and read that you can get them for $ 39.95 from some guy on E-bay.

I saw, I wanted, I paid.

The model number is 6180. They work on any 75 or newer gold wing.

I am very impressed with feel of the grips and the lack of vibration.

I also purchased the matching throttle assist tab that bolts to the right grip.

I have attached a photo of the old grip. I had allready cut the foam off. You also have to cut through the rubber part of the old grip and peel it off.

On the right side, be careful not to cut through the next layer below this rubber.

You will glue the new grip on to the layer below the rubber.

On the left grip cut and remove this and you will glue the grip to the handlebar.

I used emory cloth to rough-up both surfaces, test fit both grips and marked the position I wanted and glued them in place with the glue that came with the grips.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

patGL1200wingGA wrote:
I just bought a new set of kuryakn aluminum grips with rubber inserts to replace the worn out foam originals for my 86 GL 1200.

My 1200 had foam grips which I liked and my 1500 has the Kuryakn with the palm rest which I like. I think the foam grips were easier on the hands in that they were larger diameter so you didn't have to close your hand as much. The rubber inserts in the Kuryakn grips do help with additional friction to reduce the necessity of a tight grip to work the throttle. So for me it was a toss-up the if I'd had a palm rest on the foam grip I might have preferred it. The foam grips however cost about half to a third of the Kuryakn grips. The Kuryak do sure look nicer. How's that for indecision?

:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
patGL1200wingGA wrote:

My 1200 had foam grips which I liked and my 1500 has the Kuryakn with the palm rest which I like. I think the foam grips were easier on the hands in that they were larger diameter so you didn't have to close your hand as much. The rubber inserts in the Kuryakn grips do help with additional friction to reduce the necessity of a tight grip to work the throttle. So for me it was a toss-up the if I'd had a palm rest on the foam grip I might have preferred it. The foam grips however cost about half to a third of the Kuryakn grips. The Kuryak do sure look nicer. How's that for indecision?
I have the Kuryakn also and really like them. I also have their road pegs and a license plate frame. The chrome started peeling off the license plate frame after 6 months and Kuryakn will NOT do anything about it! That was the last Kuryakn product I will ever buy. I noticed on another thread that they quickly replaced a broken footpeg but I guess no one will fall off a bike from peeling chrome on a tag bracket so I am out of luck!! So much for good customer relations and backing up your products!! :gunhead::gunhead::gunhead: :gunhead: :gunhead: :gunhead: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

The chrome bits on the Kurys sometimes fall off. A set of foams is better because the grip is so much better and I find less tingling in my fingers on long runs. You can get a plastic palm rest cheap enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what's the trick to putting grips on the plastic I've got the foam rubber going with going over em and I can't get them on. there to Dante and I'm almost ready to break them but I don't want to. any advice on getting them on? I got the throttle have fun and now I can't get it off if I wanted

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
what's the trick to putting grips on the plastic I've got the foam rubber going with going over em and I can't get them on. there to Dante and I'm almost ready to break them but I don't want to. any advice on getting them on? I got the throttle have fun and now I can't get it off if I wanted
A little dish soap and water solution sprayed on the plastic should let it slide right on. Not too much though. When the water/soap dries, the grip will stick to the plastic just fine.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum 83 goldwing
Your wording doesn't make sense in a few spots. (there to Dante? I got the throttle have fun?)
Did you proof read it? I'm not sure if you are saying you have one partially on now?

Hair spray works good to install grips.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
Welcome to the forum 83 goldwing
Your wording doesn't make sense in a few spots. (there to Dante? I got the throttle have fun?)
Did you proof read it? I'm not sure if you are saying you have one partially on now?
Auto correct can do some weird things.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I interpreted the "there to Dante" as follows:
Dante's inferno, i.e. Hell. Makes sense to me that way...

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I understood it to mean that "they are too dainty" and that he couldn't get the grip on... but hey, that's just me. I'd rather help solve a problem.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
:ROFL::)
Yes I hate the auto pic words, most aren't even close and yes I have not gone back and proofed some of my posts too! :lash:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.