Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's something to ponder.....Last week while on patrol at the mall parking lot, I saw a Harley sitting in a handicapped spot....This is nothing unusual in one respect as the mall has no motorcycle parking spots.....And a lot of bikers park in the cross hatched areas at the ends of these handicapped spots....OK I'm out of my vehicle about to write this Harley rider a $250.00 ticket, when I noticed his license plate.....Sure as God made little green apples........it was a state issued handicapped tag, all legal.....Had the wheel chair in the center of the tag, just like the cars and was stamped "handicapped".

So being naturally curious about that tag I made my patrols and watched that Harley.....This guy comes out of the mall and goes to that Harley, I went over and asked how he got it...He said that two years ago he was hit on the right side by a car..Messed up his right knee, and after a knee replacement surgery, he felt he could ride again buteven afterthat surgery, too much walking put a strain on his right knee......So he had his Doctor fill out the paper work and now he has a closer walk into where ever he goes..... Also said he has one on his truck too......

Now that has me wondering since we have to park, as employees of the mall about three city blocks from our office, and being a heart patient, I wonder if I can get my Doctor to fill out that paperwork ???? Then I would only be less that 50ft from our office........not three city blocks

Claude

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I worked with a guy in Colorado who had the blue plate...his back was such that, while he could walk normally, he was extremely limited with distance. While I was always skeptical...I must admit, he did seem genuinely regretful that he had to use that blue plate...:baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

I have a placard that I've threatened to use a time or two. Our van has the handicap plates for my wife or me. Funny being able to ride but not walk any distance does get you looks. Little things called asbestosis, T4D exposureand bad kneeslimits how far I go at a time on foot. If I had to pedal the wing I'd park it. Gets to where I can't put my feet down I'll get training wheels or a trike. Luck of the draw Claude but don't they recommend walking for heart patients? :cooldevil:Keno

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

redbaron wrote:
Here's something to ponder.....Last week while on patrol at the mall parking lot, I saw a Harley sitting in a handicapped spot....This is nothing unusual in one respect as the mall has no motorcycle parking spots.....And a lot of bikers park in the cross hatched areas at the ends of these handicapped spots....OK I'm out of my vehicle about to write this Harley rider a $250.00 ticket, when I noticed his license plate.....Sure as God made little green apples........it was a state issued handicapped tag, all legal.....Had the wheel chair in the center of the tag, just like the cars and was stamped "handicapped".

So being naturally curious about that tag I made my patrols and watched that Harley.....This guy comes out of the mall and goes to that Harley, I went over and asked how he got it...He said that two years ago he was hit on the right side by a car..Messed up his right knee, and after a knee replacement surgery, he felt he could ride again buteven afterthat surgery, too much walking put a strain on his right knee......So he had his Doctor fill out the paper work and now he has a closer walk into where ever he goes..... Also said he has one on his truck too......

Now that has me wondering since we have to park, as employees of the mall about three city blocks from our office, and being a heart patient, I wonder if I can get my Doctor to fill out that paperwork ???? Then I would only be less that 50ft from our office........not three city blocks

Claude
I don't want to cause any offense, but I'm curious Redbaron, if you're mall security patrol, how are you able to hand out $250.00 tickets?
I'm a law-abiding citizen, but I've had a couple of run-ins with private security types.
Both in the same place, for the same offence. I drop my wife at the supermarket door, this is a run in and out..I'm sitting with the motor running and the wannabee cop tells me I can't park in a fire lane, to which I reply,"I'm not parked, this is called STANDING". If the fire trucks show up...I'll be glad to move!I'm then told I have to move. I told him to call a cop, and he went away,with a bruised ego:cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
imported post

"I don't want to cause any offense, but I'm curious Redbaron, if you're mall security patrol, how are you able to hand out $250.00 tickets?
I'm a law-abiding citizen, but I've had a couple of run-ins with private security types.
Both in the same place, for the same offence. I drop my wife at the supermarket door, this is a run in and out..I'm sitting with the motor running and the wannabee cop tells me I can't park in a fire lane, to which I reply,"I'm not parked, this is called STANDING". If the fire trucks show up...I'll be glad to move!I'm then told I have to move. I told him to call a cop, and he went away,with a bruised ego"

I also work in the private security industry at a shopping center. Some shopping center can write bonifide parking tickets. I was able to at the last place I worked. I even had one guy tear one up thinking it was a joke, but when the state suspended his license for unpaid parking tickets he wasn't laughing.

And why is it that people have to give security officers so much grief in the performance of their job? When people aren't following the rules, they call us rent-a-cop and such, but let them actually need help then it's "sir". If you can't treat security officers with some respect then stay home. end of rant>

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Rick S wrote:
If you can't treat security officers with some respect then stay home. end of rant>
I have no problems with mall security, but I do with malls. Ain't nothing there I want.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
I have no problems with mall security, but I do with malls. Ain't nothing there I want.
I doubt they have a large selection for a ferret anyway, and they also have pest control at most malls, so I doubt you'd be welcomed anyway.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: I mean, when was the last time you were in a mall and seen a "Ferrets R Us"?:shock:

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I have no issue with any legitimate handicapper using the designated spaces, no matter what they drive. What burns me is that most malls designate far too many of these spaces, and they sit empty most of the time. But frequently they are occupied by someone who is using a handcapped persons car but are not themselves handicapped.

Oh yeah, the other thing that burns me are those people who think they are above all the regs and just park or sit at the entrance or in the fire lanes.

Other than that, I rather enjoy the opportunity to walk a few hundred feet--good for the heart and soul.

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Rick S wrote:
"I don't want to cause any offense, but I'm curious Redbaron, if you're mall security patrol, how are you able to hand out $250.00 tickets?
Both in the same place, for the same offence. I drop my wife at the supermarket door, this is a run in and out..I'm sitting with the motor running and the wannabee cop tells me I can't park in a fire lane, to which I reply,"I'm not parked, this is called STANDING". If the fire trucks show up...I'll be glad to move!I'm then told I have to move. I told him to call a cop, and he went away,with a bruised ego"

I also work in the private security industry at a shopping center. Some shopping center can write bonifide parking tickets. I was able to at the last place I worked. I even had one guy tear one up thinking it was a joke, but when the state suspended his license for unpaid parking tickets he wasn't laughing.

And why is it that people have to give security officers so much grief in the performance of their job? When people aren't following the rules, they call us rent-a-cop and such, but let them actually need help then it's "sir". If you can't treat security officers with some respect then stay home. end of rant>
Rick, I try to treat everyone as I would like to be treated, But when some young guy pulls up next to me and starts giving ME grief about "parking" where I shouldn't be, and doesn't seem to grasp the fact that the sign says "no parking", and they make one that reads no " standing", but for some reason, saw fit not to use it where I was, and I'm not endangering anyone sitting where I'm sitting, while my wife grabs a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk,that to me stinks of somebody's power trip, and I have no interest in obliging him, and apparently, It didn't seem like a good idea to him to do as I'd invited, drive across the lot to where the Lincoln cop was sitting,and tell him he had a problem. I'm sure the cop knows the difference between parking and standing!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

We are authorized to write tickets by the City of Houston...... I try my best not to come on strong when asking someone to move out of a fire zone or in a handicapped zone. My first line is a courtesy notice, we turn in license numbers where if we call in that license plate number we then write a Non- payable citation, then third offence results in a ticket....Depends on the person if they come out and move their car I will not write any warnings or tickets.....However if they come out raising hell cursing me etc, I will call my supervisor who then handles the situation.....We have a city of Houston volunteer that comes to the mall and writes parking tickets, so I don't have write more than one or two a month......I am just doing the job that I'm paid to do, and like Rudy I stay as far away from it when I'm not on duty......I have a few or months to go before I will turn 65 and once my SS benefits kick in I'm looking at retiring totally.......

While I am now a "rent a cop", I have worn the badge and was the "man", after I did my best to do the job I was hired to do, I found out that the justice system doesn't always work.....For over 5 years I wore that badge, then a job in Houston came open and we moved. I even put my application in with HPD and was accepted , but that job I moved to Houston for was paying twice what HPD was paying.....As the saying goes......"wear the badge and starve"......

And as far as me getting a handicapped tag for my bike ....Its not going to happen as long as I can hold it up on two wheels.....By that time I hope our mall puts in some motorcycle parking places...

Claude

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Oh and no offence taken. I was just amazed at a Harley having that handicapped tag, and just wanted to see how he got one......I'm at a point in my life where I can walk away from my job and the second I leave the property....Its forgotten till the next time I go to work.......

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

Not a problem...if I wasn't in the car, the guy would have been right, and I'd have complied. I was in the car, behind the wheel with the engine running:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Our little burg is starting to go urban and merchants have been moving to shopping plazas ala Walmart centers. We've got the customary 1st 5> 10 spaces in each row closest to the door,designated for Handicaped. The next 5 > 10 spaces in each row is designated "Expectant Mothers". Up next to the building in the PAINTED FIRE LANE, the signs all say "NO STOPPING OR STANDING" That's where I park....:cheeky1: :cheeky1: :cheeky1: Sign doesn't say no parking... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well shooter you have a point there. Its wonderful that these malls,strip centers, and Wal Mart put in handicapped, expectant mothers,spots..... but my mall has NO motorcycle parking spots.....Somewhere I saw that one mall was being required to paint off some motorcycle only parking spots.... This would help me not only as a rider, but also keep down the number of motorcycle riders parking at the ends of these handicapped spots, in what is called the "cross hatched zone"and save me from issuing a notice.....

You and a couple of others are entirely right about the fire zones signs ours say the same thing......No stopping or standing.....But I was talking to a HPD officer a few days back and he stated that those signs were going to be changed. He also stated that the city and state were looking at the number of people who would use a handicapped placard or a tagjust to get a closer parking spot with no handicapped person with them...And that there was going to be some new rules as to handicapped tags......Now that chaps my hide to see a perfectly healthy 20 to 30 something person bounce out of a car with a handicapped tag, in 5" spiked high heels almost running into the mall.....Handicapped ??????? I think not !!!!!!!!

Rave over......

Claude

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

I hear ya' and feel your pain, see it all the time here also. I was just kiddig about my parking in the red zone. There's usually a small painted triangle at the beginning of a parking row. Just the right size for a 1200 Wing... :gunhead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.