Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to replace my oem handelbar grips . How do I take the old ones off ??? Do I cut them off and just slide the new ones back on ?

BTY I just love my new LED Fog lights .:cool::jumper::clapper::hallo:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I've never done it myself, but have seen a couple ideas. One is as you say,,,,,, cut them off, and another is to use compressed air to pop them off. Don't know if the compressed air will work on a 1500.

BTW,,,,,,,,,,,, what grips did you get?? I'm thinking I want new ones too but not sure what I want. The OEM's seem to be slippery when caught in the rain. I had the foam ones on my GL1000 and they would just soak up the water and keep your hands/gloves wet.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

I usually use grip glue when I install new grips. I just use a razor to cut the old ones off. You can also spray a little enamel paint in the grip and it will slide right on and as soon as the paint sets grips are tight.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I had foam grips on my 1100. When they started to disintegrat I cut them off and installed the Kuryakan grips .. I am very happpy with them.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

On my 1980 GL1100 I used the foam grips. About 25 bucks a pair with chrome ends. If they are closed cell, they shouldn't absorb water.I cut the old ones off with a razor knife (they were aftermarket foam as well).

I installed the new gripsusing golf-grip tape I had left over from when I regripped my clubs. Worked great !! The tape is two sided and very thin. You wrap it on, peel the paper, and wet the tape with mineral spirits. The grips slid right on, were easy to rotate to desired position, and were tight by the next day.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:Have used the compressed air on my sons 750 and it worked great. But guess it all depends on if you can get your nozzle in your grip.:cool:

Winger 82:11brown:

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I put heated grips on my GL1500 and used compressed air to get the old ones off and the new ones on. Works great, although it is a little tricky getting the air into the right places. Thanks to Randakk for this tip, when I put his grips on my 1980 GL1100 Interstate.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Dusty wrote:
I am going to replace my oem handelbar grips . How do I take the old ones off ??? Do I cut them off and just slide the new ones back on ?
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/Videos/ISOgrips.wmv
Thanks Dusty Boots, pics and videos are always a big help. But what kind of glue was he useing? Does it come with the grips? I had a hard time hearing/understanding him.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Use your wife's hair spray to "glue" them on. While it is wet, they slide on easy enough. When it dries, it is solid. Works great. Or even spray laquer.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

OldMtMan wrote:
Use your wife's hair spray to "glue" them on. While it is wet, they slide on easy enough. When it dries, it is solid. Works great. Or even spray laquer.
I don't have a wife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can I borrow yours :cheeky1:

Just kidding,,,,,,,,really:)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
I had foam grips on my 1100. When they started to disintegrat I cut them off and installed the Kuryakan grips .. I am very happpy with them.
Ialso went away from the foam and got Kuryakan grips. They twisted free in the rain the day I picked the bike up from Honda. Had the dealer throw them on along with a new rear tire. Anyway I solved the spinning problem with liquid nails. I can now lift the bike up with the throttle grip. Hope they last cause its gonna be a bitch gettin that thing off.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

OldMtMan wrote:
I did this just today as a matter of fact with some ProGel grips. Hopefully the weather will let me ride sometime soon.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use compressed air to remove or replace the foam or rubber grips. Works very easily. Of all the grips I've usedI like the Kuryakyn ISO grips with a throttle boss best. They aren't cheap and even though I'm a might frugal I think they are worth the extra cash. Mine are the ones with the square rubber sections. The nice thing about these grips is they're non-slipperydon't need much hand grip on them to rotate the trottle and the throttle boss makes the throttle easy to hold with just the weight of your hand on it. They also give a good non-slip grip in the rain. Very nice to have even when you have a cruise control. I've had the foam grips and I like their price but they don't hold a candle to the ISO grips.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.Products/catID/17/scID/41

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

They have the K6180 listed for $69.99. Cyclemax has them for $55.00, not including the extra added Christmas discount, they have offered us.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Hey Exavid, Those are the same grips I bought for mine. And I did spring for the throttle boss too.

They look so pretty sitting on my bench and sparkling under the bench lights.
Where they have a place of honor for the last year or so.

I have some after market grips on my 1500 with a thick stainless steel cage surrounding the rubber grips that is a BiT%# to get off. I destroyed three dremel cutting wheels trying to remove the throttle side and I don't want to screw up the plastic throttle sleeve. So I just set them aside for the last Year or so. I know the left side will be easy so I tackled the hard side first.

I just have to bite the bullet and cut them off even if I have to get the bigger 3 inch die grinder out.

One question for you guys.

The ISO grips are kinda Oval. Where do you position the throttle side so its most comfortable while you are riding?

I was thinking position the grips so your hand feels comfortable around 1/4 throttle.

What ya think?

Then I can position the throttle boss where ever I want it.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think you will find that if you position the rubber inserts of the ISO grips so as the thin metal strip between the insert part is about 20 degrees or so back toward the rider off center line to vertical, it will be just about right.

That is clear as mud? Also just use one of those cheap plastic throttle boss palm grips, one of those plastic ones that simply curl around the throttle and you can adjust, as it is nice to be able to adjust the position sometimes on those all day rides.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The Kuryakyn throttle boss can be adjusted at any angle on the grip once it's installed. I like it a lot better than the plastic wrap around type because the Kuryakyn boss doesn't every move once you snug down the allen screws. The plastic type are good if you don't have anything else but they do tend to creep and take up more room on the grip.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The Kury ISO's are the best I've had on any bike. Just make sure that when you are at idle, the levers hit in the gaps between the pads. I like the way they 'grab' your fingers so that you can do things easily with one finger.

Only down side is the pads will make your fingers stick to them like sweaty unless you ride with leather gloves. I do so that isn't a problem for me.

Love the ISOs. I have the chrome throttle boss on mine too.
Really saves the old carpal tunnel when not on cruise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.